Thread: Fish ID

Talking Fish ID

Anyone know what this is? a mate caught it the other day out the Banks {on his boat}
    Last edited by -spiro-; 13-02-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Fish ID

Looks like a chinaman fish. They are known carriers of cigatuera poisoning and are also on the 'no take' list. They fight like hell and look like a good red or trout coming up. Hope your mate didn't eat it.

Yeah I'm with Stuie, it does look like a Chinaman

Other than that I don't know.

Jeff.

Not sure what it is but have seen a couple of post lately on some people keeping and killing fish that they dont know what it is or what the eating quality is like,mmmmm strange. Dont want to start anything but still looks like a cool fish.
    Last edited by geoff72; 13-02-2008 at 01:05 PM.
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

Adolescent Chinaman,just about goten rid of the filaments on it's dorsal fin......is your mate still standing?Worst thing is that this fish,if eaten,could have delivered an amount of toxin that may not surface untill his next feed of seafood,providing this fish was a carrier to start with.

Yep, it's a chinaman fish, Symphorus Nematophorus and is a known ciguatera carrier. Strangely, the fish is a member of the lutjanid family...

chinaman for sure, they are on the no tke protected species list, but I have heard only because no one wants to take a chance on declaring them a ciguteara carrier. Apparently some do not carry it, but the ones that do, carry a it lot more potent than any other species. Thats the only reason I have heard of them being protected, not because they are in limited numbers beasue the reef is lousy with them. Really dissappointing when you get one, like Stuie said, they look like a delicious trout or red on the way up and the fight, is just as good, if not better.

Silly boy!! Dont eat what you dont know - good luck. Been catching them as far south as Peel Island in Moreton Bay.
    Beast

Spiro?..................are you still there?.................he didn't share it with you, did he?

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Chris, its defently a chinaman, and im "sure" he caught it well before they become a protected species.
    Ive had quite a bit to do with this species and as has been stated they are a suspected carrier of ciguatera, as are coral trout, spanish mackerel and any number of fish species in our waters.
    A fish that size is highly unlikely to be a threat.
    Prior to there protection and also with the introduction of the commercial reef quota system many tonnes of these fish were sold commercially. Quite often they were marketed as red emperor.
    Personally ive eaten quite a few of them, although i never filleted one larger then around 6kg.
    They are extremely common in our northern waters and i suspect there protection was introduced more to control the commercial marketing of them rather then the rec catches and chances of getting ciguatera.
    Im by know means defending someone for taking a protected species, after all theres only "8" species fully protected!
    ...foxy

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    Silly boy!! Dont eat what you dont know - good luck. Been catching them as far south as Peel Island in Moreton Bay.
    Beast
    dont even know why people keep fish if they dont know what they are!

Talking Re: Fish ID

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    dont even know why people keep fish if they dont know what they are!

As i stated I DIDN'T CATCH IT OR WAS IT IN MY BOAT

Dave i have never caught or seen one to this date in 20 years of reef fishing.
    Thanks for the responces
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i didnt say you now did i.