Thread: squid Hoe do you catch

squid Hoe do you catch

Hi how do you catch squid to use as bait?

Re: squid Hoe do you catch

If your land based youll have to wait till after the prawn season when its real cold 2.5 to 3.5 inch pink & orange jigs (yozuri's are one of the best),If your in a boat try jigging over known weed beds,I believe the Southern end of Moreton Island is where they can be found,( I'm land based) Do a search through the forums theres plenty of info here on where to go .
    THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Live life like a dog,If you cant eat it or hump it ,
    pee on it and walk away.

Depending on where you are mate try anywhere that there are coral reefs that are shallow the squid will congreate around these areas, and don't spare the money on a good squid jig there are so many models about , but like snasman said the prawn type lures are great i have had more success with these type's in the colours stated , and winter seems to bring them out in numbers. But they are still around here in the north if you have a huge light that can be shown into the water can bring the odd big squid around. I scored alot of squid jigs off ebay at an incredible price and have heaps in certain different colours that can be used to bring them onto the chew but most of all don't give up we have casted for 2 hours straight then got hammered by squid for an hour pulling them in one after another , persistence mate.

Cheers jt
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

some good size squid up that way!

hi i have seen a few old italians hang a old kero lamp out the back of their boats and either jig them or a big scoop net tey are not silly like me they eat them and i go and pay a fortune in a fish and chip shop.

I catch squid with a light off the side off the boat to draw them near the boat i use a prawn scoop net with a long handle to scoop them up or if they aren't close enough to the boat to reach i throw a drawstring castnet at them .I would recommend them for live bait and the eating qualities isn't too bad either.
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I see you are from Wollongong, there is heaps of spots to go squidding down here, either Boat or shore based, any Harbour, Kiama, Shellharbour or Port Kembla will hold good numbers of Squid, a quick trip to any of these just after dark will see half a dozen Squidders in action, a rod with about 5 to 8KG line, a couple of Squid Jigs and a net to lift them will see you into them, best to cast out and let the jig sink a bit, then start a slow and jerky retreive, I find the best times are during winter, but have caught them all year, also nice calm nights seem to be better, but they will still be out when it is windy as well, it is pretty easy fishing, you can even take a chair and a Thermos if you like, best to get there just before dark and start to cast, they seem to bite best right on dark!

yeh,as jtpython said there are models of squid jigs on ebay which will save you the dollars and you will still catch the same amount of squid.
    Regards
    Dylan

Good day,
    Down here in Tassie they seem to like sea grass beds(arrow squid),lite rod,squid jig(orange/pink) a bit of a jiggle and your away.Only prob. is whether to use them as bait or have a chew on them yourself.
    As stated above a light works a treat at night.
    Cheers
    Reidy

I was talking to a couple of teenagers about 6 weeks back with half a dozen good ones that they pulled out of the harbour at Kiama.