Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: River Rally - Post Moretum

Re: River Rally - Post Moretum

Lads & Ladies,

Looks like the new Shadow Minister is batting on the good sides team. This is the question asked in Parliament yesterday to the Minister to quantify the numbers for rec fishing & boating in its direct attribution to tourism in QLD.

MR GIBSON ASKED THE MINISTER FOR SUSTAINABILITY, CLIMATE CHANGE AND INNOVATION (MR MCNAMARA)—
    With reference to the Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning—
    Will he provide details for 2007 compared with the years 1990 to 2006, reported separately by year, for (a) the total value generated from the recreational fishing sector, (b) the total value generated from the commercial fishing sector and (c) the value of marine park based tourism brought to Queensland through recreational fishing and boating?

The bloke backs up his words with actions. Not a bad start I reckon!

Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Great post Phill

I wonder id we could set up groups who have access to funding along the lines of the stocking groups

Individual groups working on their own reefs but with a seed fund and DPI and EPA support

In ten years time we could be better off than we are now

Hopefully the EPA will pull its head out of the sand and start to do its job and protect the Bay from its major threats of pollution and habitat destruction

Chris
    Thats a good result
    I hope they ask a lot more questions before this runs its course

Cheers

Neil
    Last edited by Horse; 14-02-2008 at 09:24 PM.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryan View Post
    Lads & Ladies,

Looks like the new Shadow Minister is batting on the good sides team. This is the question asked in Parliament yesterday to the Minister to quantify the numbers for rec fishing & boating in its direct attribution to tourism in QLD.

MR GIBSON ASKED THE MINISTER FOR SUSTAINABILITY, CLIMATE CHANGE AND INNOVATION (MR MCNAMARA)—
    With reference to the Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning—
    Will he provide details for 2007 compared with the years 1990 to 2006, reported separately by year, for (a) the total value generated from the recreational fishing sector, (b) the total value generated from the commercial fishing sector and (c) the value of marine park based tourism brought to Queensland through recreational fishing and boating?

The bloke backs up his words with actions. Not a bad start I reckon!

Chris
    Couldnt find that in yesterdays Hansard but this is there

Moreton Bay Marine Park
    Ms CROFT (Broadwater—ALP) (11.33 am): In 2007 the Queensland government announced
    changes to the environmental management of the Moreton Bay Marine Park. Included in the proposed
    changes is an area of the northern Gold Coast that many locals may not realise forms part of the
    Moreton Bay Marine Park. Coombabah Creek is a very popular fishing spot that incorporates an already
    existing green zone, Coombabah Lake.
    The review of Moreton Bay Marine Park has proposed an extension of this green zone by 1.1
    kilometres in an effort to provide habitat protection for estuarine life and sustained fishing activities for
    generations to come. The eastern side of the creek is lined with residences and many locals have
    chosen to live in Coombabah because of this fishing and recreational area that exists so close to their
    homes. Understandably, many locals are now concerned about the proposal to extend the green zone
    to include a great local crabbing and recreational fishing spot that is regularly used by families and
    anglers who have fished there for years.
    Today I tabled a petition on behalf of 2,695 petitioners demonstrating their objection to the
    proposed extension. The principal petitioner, Coombabah resident Mr Ian Graham, is a passionate
    advocate for the responsible recreational fishing use of Coombabah Creek.
    Recently I visited the proposed green zone site by boat with Mr Graham and another concerned
    resident, Mr Wayne Young. The visit gave me a firsthand understanding of how locals appreciate and
    value the lifestyle they enjoy and gain from the access to this fishing location. I have met with the
    Minister for the Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation to bring this to his attention and the
    concerns of residents and their families.
    I encourage all residents to visit the EPA web site and make a submission on the draft zoning plan
    by the closing date of 7 March. Residents are invited to be part of the consultation process and to lodge
    their concerns as they are indeed stakeholders whose local knowledge is important. I will continue to
    advocate on their behalf to ensure that the final draft of the Moreton Bay Marine Park review includes an
    outcome that will support the needs and concerns of local anglers and residents yet recognises the
    importance of mangrove forests and intertidal flats that are evident in this area.

Moreton Bay Marine Park
    Ms van LITSENBURG: My question without notice is to the Minister for Sustainability, Climate
    Change and Innovation. Would the minister please advise the House on progress with the draft rezoning
    plan for the Moreton Bay Marine Park, as this is of great interest to many of my constituents in
    Redcliffe? How is the state government addressing issues which have been raised since the draft plan
    was released?
    Mr McNAMARA: I thank the honourable member for Redcliffe for her question and for her close
    attention to and involvement in the development of a first-class Moreton Bay Marine Park which meets
    the needs of all of the users of the park now and into the future.
    Much of the public debate about the Moreton Bay Marine Park has been about access to the
    resource. While access to the park is indeed a very important issue—and I want to debunk utterly and
    absolutely the suggestion that recreational or commercial fishers will be banned from the park; that is
    simply untrue—nevertheless, it is vital to recognise that the Moreton Bay Marine Park is about much
    more than just access to seafood. It is also about equipping Moreton Bay with the resilience to withstand
    the challenge posed by climate change. Moreton Bay will be a critical test of how we as a society protect
    the biodiversity of the bay—the fish, the coral, the seagrass, the dugong—in the face of global warming
    that we now know is coming, against the two degrees of warming which is now locked in by 2050, no
    matter what we do.
    Regretfully, Moreton Bay also serves as an example of how out of touch, duplicitous and just plain
    kooky the opposition remains on the issue of climate change. The Leader of the Opposition continues to
    fudge, prevaricate and dissemble on climate change. While not as point-blank odd as his shadow
    parliamentary secretary assisting him in north Queensland, who told this House a little while ago that
    climate change was an emotive term ‘designed to frighten people into accepting unsubstantiated facts’,
    nevertheless the Leader of the Opposition continues to talk out of both sides of his mouth on the issue of
    climate change. He continues to seek to muddy the waters by talking about warming oceans and
    erupting volcanoes, rotting vegetation and emissions from microbes—anything but accept that human
    beings have a very important responsibility in relation to contributing to emissions. The time is now right
    for this sort of blame spreading and fence sitting to be put away. The time for google research and equal
    access for kooky conspiracy theories is over. It is time for those who would seek to lead this state to
    simply acknowledge, as Stern and the IPCC and the A21 report have all done, that climate change is
    certainly being driven by human actions, and to deal with it.
    The Moreton Bay Marine Park is in the middle of a consultation stage. It is open till 7 March. We
    are receiving many, many, many submissions, and they will all be dealt with in due course. Last week I
    went out on the bay with the executive of Sunfish. This week I will be meeting again with representatives
    of the Moreton Bay Access Alliance. We will be listening to and talking to stakeholders to make sure that
    we get the marine park we deserve. What this government, however, will not do is give a wink and a
    13 Feb 2008 Questions Without Notice 139
    nod, as the Leader of the Opposition does, to the climate change sceptics. The Leader of the Opposition
    seeks to have it both ways on this critical issue—talking about climate change but dog whistling to the
    kooky critics at the same time. Moreton Bay deserves better. Queensland deserves better.
    Regards

mod5

I hope someone offered Mr Namara a tissue, so he could wipe up some of the sh!t he was dribbling!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd degree View Post
    I hope someone offered Mr Namara a tissue, so he could wipe up some of the sh!t he was dribbling!

Jim
    A tissue? Reckon he'd need a bath towel to wipe up his crap

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

So Climate Change cannot enter Green Zones? Didn't really explain in any of that why he is banning fishing did he?