Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: River Rally - Post Moretum

Re: Views of the washing machine today

Quote Originally Posted by KGW3 View Post
    It's all well and good for the EPA to make some rules to control the the fish raping in Moreton bay, but if they are serious, they should think about the reefs where the poor boatie can only bring home 20-30 reef fish at a time for the "Relatives". I know you guys are OWED fish... You pay $50k plus for your boat.. Increasing fuel costs.. Rego... Strueth.. You should be able to take as many as you like.. After all they are a renewable resource. As for Crabs... They should make crab pots COMPULSORY.. There's nothing better than trapping a dangerous Sand Crab and boiling it alive.. It's about time we eradicated all fish and crustateons in the name of Family Boating...
    Obviously another person who tars all fishos with the same brush to coin a phrase. I know quite a lot of fishermen and women and not one of them goes out and catches 20-30 fish even to take home for relatives. In fact they would be lucky to take home a feed of fish for themselves. There may be an exception where some guys go out and catch their bag limit but as far as breaking the law is concerned I think the majority stick well within the guidelines. It is not worth the fines to be caught with undersized fish/crabs or in excess of the legal bag limits. Yes we invest a lot of money in our boats and pleasure craft but I doubt that many if any go out with the attitude that it is their right to rape the seas baron of all species. Whenever I go out I normally get enough to feed my immediate family (myself and my two kids) and I release most of what I catch particularly if they are only just legal.
    The whole point of protesting against the green zones is not so that we can continue to rape and pillage but more the point that we can continue our way of Australian life. The DPI have scientific data supporting that Moreton Bay is healthy and continuing it's sustainability so our point is why change things? We do not need a bunch of do good greens and politicians without the right facts telling us where we can and can't fish. Until they can prove that recreational fishermen and women are doing more harm than good scientifically then they can cram their ideas where the sun is most likely never to shine.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Re: River Rally - Post Moretum

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    Lol bait waster my left arm feels like it wants to fall off too the misses doesn't wanta go up the Brisbane River EVER again after that trip. I took 2 waves over the back, one was due to the police asking me to stop for a city cat that didn't end up leaving the dock (they were probably worried the cat wouldn't see my 3.7mtr tinny disappearing between the waves!)

It was all worth it though, I was so happy watching what channel 7 did for us! The choppa shot of the rally underway was impressive!!

I didn't get back in time to drop off the vest to you Phil, let me know what you would like me to do..

Cheers
    Brandon...
    This is exactly the point I was raising earlier. I was afraid that those conditions may frighten people off in the smaller boats and we really do not want this to happen. If another rally is to happen on the water I think we have learned from this one and will ensure all the small boats will lead the pack and keep the large boat wash behind them. My boat is only small as well and there were a couple of times I felt uncomfortable due to getting caught in between two big waves, one pushing me and one in front higher than the bow. I was working the throttle pretty hard to keep it under control. I often thought of the ones in smaller tinnies and how they were coping with it. All I can say is for anyone who were scared witless out there as a result of yesterday and vowing never to do that again to please reconsider. We cannot afford to lose any support. In fact we need to gain more support. Better measures to keep it safer for small boats in the future are sure to happen.

Regards,

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 11-02-2008 at 01:32 PM.

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

I walked on with my daughter (on the grass in front of the speakers). My daughter was a bit peeved we weren't in our boat (next time).
    But I must say ... GREAT organisation Phill, GREAT speech Chris, GREAT turnout, GREAT coverage, GREAT signs on boats(needed more maybe), GREAT to see kids, GREAT to see other helpers ... not bad for red-neck fishers
    I reckon we've got them worried or they wouldn't have been pushing in the Sunday Mail and on the day the artificial reefs. With Government red tape I wouldn't think 1 million dollars would go very far. I rather them give us a number on how many reefs and size.
    Cheers

A quick note to all re: The Washing Machine - The speed and course was set by the Harbour Master and Water Police as best to accomodate the speeds, the restrictions and the commercial operators. I have passed on comments through to the Major Events team and next time around we will sit round table with all groups and get a better plan in place to ensure a more comfy and stable trip along the lines of Poodroo's suggestion.

On other topics - The feedback we are getting is great as it helps for next time. I would also like to see what you like changed format wise, location wise, time wise etc.

Thanks
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    I walked on with my daughter (on the grass in front of the speakers). My daughter was a bit peeved we weren't in our boat (next time).
    But I must say ... GREAT organisation Phill, GREAT speech Chris, GREAT turnout, GREAT coverage, GREAT signs on boats(needed more maybe), GREAT to see kids, GREAT to see other helpers ... not bad for red-neck fishers
    I reckon we've got them worried or they wouldn't have been pushing in the Sunday Mail and on the day the artificial reefs. With Government red tape I wouldn't think 1 million dollars would go very far. I rather them give us a number on how many reefs and size.
    Cheers
    Reef Size is unknown but the Minister commented to me that they were building three. When one of his advisors mentioned only one was in the newspaper article he went, "oh yes, well we have to start with one and see how it goes."

Thanks for the support and for coming along. For no budget, we bought about $50k worth of TV advertising I reckon from that Seven News piece. I for one am proud of what we all achieved there yesterday. I have a little budget now and if we can mulitply the result from yesterday by two or three - watch out!

We have them watching us, wondering what is next. Let's keep it up!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    The DPI have scientific data supporting that Moreton Bay is healthy and continuing it's sustainability so our point is why change things?
    Poodroo
    Hi Guys
    I've heard this quote several times but can't find the reference. It would be good to actually quote this reference in my submission.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    Hi Guys
    I've heard this quote several times but can't find the reference. It would be good to actually quote this reference in my submission.
    Cheers
    I'll get it for you tonight when I get home including the proper reference. It is from the DPI&F Annual Review.
    Cheers,
    Chris

For all you folks that want info, here is an interesting read.... it is only 17 pages long, so download if you want.

More " FACTS " to follow

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Saw the Courier today at work. Poodroo, you are a star mate - Front & centre!!

We are up the back in the white tiller steer with the "Black anchor" on the back.

Of course the good old courier's green bias shows through again. It was "our " rally but every quote in there was from Tourism commission bosses, Tangalooma resort bosses & the Sustainability minister. Where was our point of view????????

But the biggest rip job of all was putting in a quote from Andrew Mcnamara ....."Marine Park-based Tourism generates more than $500 million annually, compared with approximately $25 million for commercial fishing"

This is how you deceive the public, whoever said anything about commercial fishing? It was a rally by REC FISHERS, FOR REC FISHERS! The amount of dollars we (rec fishers) put into the economy would crap all over the tourism contribution figures so if you've got those numbers Chris, let em' have it with both barrels!!!

Oh, by the way ..... Article was written by Melissa Ketchell ..... Tourism Reporter.
    The Courier couldn't get a reporter to cover this stuff that has actually wet a line in Morteon Bay could they? Oh no, that would be biased.

Good on all the guys that turned up, all the people that lived on the river sure were interested in what was going on.

Mick.
    Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Saw this fellow in the street a little while ago. Approached him to have a chat. Very receptive and friendly bloke who has indepth knowledge of the issues at hand.

If you see him or any other " person of interest " bail them up and please state your case about the Green Zones.

phill

Here is a link to an EPA report.

If you actually read the info from the scientist, you will understand that Moreton Bay needs protection from " degradation " ... read :- POLLUTION >.

There is no mention of fishing problems, over fishing etc etc etc.

Phill

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/about_the_...marine_expert/

Here is some more of that info you NEED and the EPA has refused to accept.

Queensland fisheries annual status reports 2006
    This 331 page report was produced by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries.

Coral Reef Finfish Fishery:-

Page 160…… Fishery impacts on the ecosystem

“ Line fisheries are considered benign in terms of their impacts on the broader ecosystem. “

East Coast Inshore Finfish Fishery:-

Page 75…….. Appraisal of fishery in regard to sustainability

“ The ECIFF is managed using a variety of input and output controls ( eg. Limited licences, gear restrictions, permanent and seasonal closures, size and bag limits and competitive Total Allowable Catches for some species ) and is regarded as being managed in a precautionary and sustainable manner. “

Rocky Reef Finfish Fishery:-

Page 118 ……. Fishery impacts on the ecosystem

“ It is unlikely that there is any significant physical impact on the ecosystem from the fishery due to the relative benign line fishing method used . “

Page 115 …… Fishery Performance

“ This is further supported by commercial logbook data, fisheries observer information and anecdotal reports from recreational fishers over the last 12 months indicating good catches have been occurring with an increased occurrence of larger individuals. “ ( this was in regard to Snapper )

Phill

Here is further info. feel free to copy it into a folder for future use.

The AMCS ( Australian Marine Conservation Society ) and the Greens would have you believe that less than .05% of the Bay is currently protected. This disinformation has been passed onto the EPA as part of the AMCS and Green submission. This is a lie and a distortion of the truth, in fact about 46% of the bay has some sort of protection for it’s fishery and habitat.

The DPI&Fs ( Refer to the Dept of Primary Industries and Fisheries scientific report on status of fish stocks 2006), own figures clearly state that the fishery in Moreton Bay is sustainable and has been since 1950 when Commercial Trawling started in the bay. Recreational catch rates have remained constant since this time as well.

The EPA research states that Turtle numbers are on the increase in the Bay as opposed to the AMCS conclusion that they are endangered and even the AMCS state that Dugong boat strikes have reduced by 25%, thus indicating the current “ Go Slow Zones “ are working and will continue to work / improve over time.

The AMCS in their submission state that “It is noted there are no safe havens in MoretonBay for dugongs, current go slow zones do not provide adequate protection for dugongs from human disturbance.” And then in the next paragraph:-

Recommendations:

•
    A new ‘go slow’ zone is required in the Southern MoretonBay area.
    •
    Major known dugong feeding sites require protection in Protection Zones.

Just goes to highlight the ineptitude of the AMCS and the Australian Conservation Council.

OH,, and for the Turtles :------

Turtles…. This from Dr Col Limpus:- EPA.

Today, legislation protects turtles from exploitation. Their numbers have since recovered, but are still far from being secure. While the cause of this disease is not currently known, evidence suggests pollutants and toxicants in the water may trigger these tumours.

THE EPA's evidence has clearly stated that " Turtle numbers have since recovered " . Recovered by way of TED's on trawl nets.

YES.. are you listening AMCS, ACC, Greens, Anna, Andrew and Mr Gschwind of the QTIC......

Time for a deep breath.........

Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 11-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks for that Phill, the closing statement certainly rings true and should be presented in relation also to Moreton Bay. It's clear that the real issues are not being addressed (in bold) and that what is being addressed is simply a smokescreen that has those in power seeming to be doing something useful whilst actually doing nothing but harm

( The extracts below are taken from Bob Kearneys report as described in my post above with the whole report attached as a PDF file ,,, this message was inserted by Lucky_Phill and acknowledges the copyright of the author )

"Many citizens of the Batemans region have been hoodwinked into believing that the proposal for this park was actually based on sound science and that the park will deliver considerable benefits to biodiversity conservation and recreational fishing. The email traffic on this subject identifies many who were seduced into believing that the short-term pain will lead to long-term gain. Unfortunately this is far from the truth. Not only is it extremely unlikely there will be any demonstrable benefit to recreational fisheries, certainly not on ocean beaches or in estuaries, but the case for having future beneficial area management will be seriously weakened by the experience of these closures failing to deliver. The community will not be pleased when it is asked to accept additional management measures that will undoubtedly be necessary to appropriately address the real threats. One is reminded of the story of the little boy who cried wolf. There are almost certainly marine areas, species and habitats in the Batemans region that require protection and many that would benefit from efficient area management; examples include protection of estuaries from known threats such as siltation and pollution, area management of abalone fisheries, the closure of all inshore areas to fish trawling, and reduction in threats from introduced pests, such as aquatic weeds. It is such a pity tax payers’ money and public good-will for conservation have been so needlessly misdirected by advocacy for more parks posing as science in the asserted cause of conservation and sustainability. The goal of having effective marine parks in NSW based on sound science has been seriously set back. And to date, we fish biologists have sat back and watched it happen.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 11-02-2008 at 05:55 PM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Yes Kev, me thinks Mr McNamara needs to read the report.........

Oh Bobs credentials are :-

Bob Kearney PhD, DSc AM
    Emeritus Professor of Fisheries
    University of Canberra

Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 11-02-2008 at 05:59 PM.