Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saratoga reference

Saratoga reference

I'm starting a painting of a Saratoga, and I'm after some reference photos.
    The painting will be about 4ft long X 3ft high.
    I'm planning on a scene of a toga leaping clear of very still water chasing two small white butterflies, background of old dead trees in the water. thinking very early morning light with the scales all lit up with pink dots etc.
    What I'm after if your willing is photos of togas that you've caught, especially if the mouth is wide open ( doesn't matter if it's not, I'll improvise ) close up shots of the head will come in handy as well.
    I don't actually need the hard copies as I can copy them straight from the computer screen. ( I'm clever in the head like that )
    I won't copy the picture excactly but multiple photos can be used to create one painting. Photos are a very valuable reference tool for drafting the original drawing onto the canvas and getting the colours just right.
    I've had a look in the freshwater photo section and have come across some great ones but I want peoples permission to pinch ideas from their hard earned photos.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael.

Re: Saratoga reference

hey mate, im not sure if you want any fishtank specimens, do ya? he's not leaping or anything just having a swim.

cam
    Last edited by Cammy; 08-02-2008 at 03:38 PM.
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

If only I could catch one of the damn beasts I'd take photo and send it to you!

G'day michael, I remember you mentioned starting a painting in a post I put up about saratoga that I'd caught at Borumba, the pics I have aren't of them jumping, just ones after they'd been boated, if you want, pm me your email and I'll fling them on to you, I have 4 or 5 pics, all of them are 1280x960. One of them is a not too close up shot of it poking out of the net, mouth open and my lure still hooked in it, which might be of some help.

simon

mate have a look at the photo section about" Show us your toga" you should get a few good ideas out of that section

Heres a heap of photo's mate, don't forget they coil up when they jump.

Here is a nice detailed picture of the head....shows the fine lines on the head and colours well.

Cheers
    Pete

P.S I have seen saratoga jump and grab those Golden Orb spiders from their webs....Theres a good painting idea.
    Last edited by Pistol_P; 08-02-2008 at 10:06 PM.

G'Day Michael,

I've loaded a few HERE>>>

Feel free to use any of these as references.

Cheers,

Fitzy...
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Thanks for the replies you blokes....top pics.

Hey cammy, fish tank shots are great especially to get fishes colours, if he's close to the top. I'm assuming you use the special fluro tubes that really bring out the true colours.

Jeremy, after they coil does the body straighten out, I want to keep the painting true to life, I imagined the toga stretched out with it's mouth wide open, more mid way through it's jump...that last shot with the open mouth is a beauty,and the fins are perfect, I'll use that one a bit if you don'r mind.

Hey Slyman I've PM'd my email address, yeah mate after reading your thread I scribbled the idea down.

Good close up detail Pistol P, good colour reference on that one.

Cheers Fitzy, you've given me heaps to work with.

Thanks all.

I was actually thinking of making this a step by step thread and showing you all the painting process from start to finish....

LGM - I think there is a toga in a tank at anaconda at everton park
    429 south pine road.

If you ring them and tell them what you are doing, they should
    let you take some piccies

Quote Originally Posted by baitwaster View Post
    LGM - I think there is a toga in a tank at anaconda at everton park
    429 south pine road.

If you ring them and tell them what you are doing, they should
    let you take some piccies

Yeah mate, I know that fish real well, top looking fish isn't it. Great big blue barbels hanging from his chin. Those blokes in the store are quite approachable too, quite often have a chat with them... might take my camera in and ask them.

i dont' think i've ever seen a saratoga straight ever, when they jump it's never like a porpoising leap like a mullet does. if you have clear water you can see them almost S up and then spring upwards into a thrashing series of coils. I would say when you start the painting imagine the fishes path as a series of coils through the air and make the most dramatic part when it snaps the butterfly. i'd say have the fish jumping away from the observer and then have its head coil back forming a C shape to snap at the butterfly. A bit difficult to describe in words, I'd draw it but i won't because 1. i can't draw and 2. it might spoil it for you.

LGM - i emailed those pics to you today, I hope they can provide some useful detail even if they aren't action shots. Sounds like its going to be a great painting, the step by step thread is one I'd like to read!

simon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    i dont' think i've ever seen a saratoga straight ever, when they jump it's never like a porpoising leap like a mullet does. if you have clear water you can see them almost S up and then spring upwards into a thrashing series of coils. I would say when you start the painting imagine the fishes path as a series of coils through the air and make the most dramatic part when it snaps the butterfly. i'd say have the fish jumping away from the observer and then have its head coil back forming a C shape to snap at the butterfly. A bit difficult to describe in words, I'd draw it but i won't because 1. i can't draw and 2. it might spoil it for you.
    Yeah Jeremy I know what you mean.. good idea mate. I see a lot of fish positioned like this in paintings..that would look great because a toga is still long enough that you could see a lot of the body. Cheers mate.

Got the email Slyman...great shots which I can certainly use. Ta

I Caught A 73cm Sarratoga At Cania Dam