Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saratoga reference

Re: Saratoga reference

Hey LGM,

Here's some video of a toga in a tank to help.

Cheers,

Fitz..
    Last edited by Fitzy; 18-07-2008 at 01:08 AM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Thanks for the vid Fitz. Nothing beats seeing live action. Even looking at that bit of footage I'm making slight changes to the fish. I was never really happy with the barbels on the chin and looking at the video I know the mistake that I made.

I'll put up a pic every few days to show you the progress.....I've been doing quite a lot of portraits for people. I drew a set of seven year old identical twins. Challenging to say the least.

Challenging?
    You do one twin then copy it- sheesh!!
    ;-)
    Jimbo

btw Michael,
    you gonna do the Big W Kayak n Canoe outing? Come onnnnn, you know you want to.... I don't want to be the only newbie there. (The one looking for the kickstarter round the back of the yak...)

Hey Jimbo, hows things ?
    I never thunk to copy one of the twins, I'll do that next time and see if I can get away with it

Not fishing the kayak comp....don't have a yak and if I did there's a better than average chance that I'd spend more time in the water than the bass.
    Heard there's some awfully big fishies in there though. One of the dams on my to do list for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Little grey men View Post
    Hey Jimbo, hows things ?
    I never thunk to copy one of the twins, I'll do that next time and see if I can get away with it

Not fishing the kayak comp....don't have a yak and if I did there's a better than average chance that I'd spend more time in the water than the bass.
    Heard there's some awfully big fishies in there though. One of the dams on my to do list for sure.
    LGM,

You can fish the Big W Convention in a canoe with an electric motor if you want.

If you're interested, put out an SOS to look for a partner or to borrow a canoe.

Its shaping up to be a good event.

Cheers,

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

You heard the man... ;-)

The latest on the painting...had a few more drawings to get done on the weekend but I had a few chances to throw some paint on the canvas.
    Not happy with the eye yet, but It's getting there. Not looking forward to drawing those scales either. I'm thinking of adding a few water lillies with those white and purple flowers around the fish.
    The kids have been watching with great interest and always offering to help.

WOW!
    Amazing work in progress there Michael, I'm sure u'll humble us again with your brushwork... not rodwork, this time!
    Jimbo

looking good mate

Coming along nicely there its gonna look good!

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Did a bit more last night. The heads finally starting to look OK I think.
    I'll put up a few pics of how I'm doing this painting in case anyone is interested.
    I'm using acrylics in a very wet style. More like heavy watercolour, I think it gives some nice subtle touches. What I'm using is called a wet palette, just a piece of kitchen paper which is sprayed with water to stop the paint from drying out too quickly.( Acrylics dry bloody fast ) so you really have to work fast.
    Every colour you see on that palette was used on the head somewhere. The computer doesn't really let you see every detail though. Looking at the true colours of a painting is always a kick......I saw some Salvador Dali paintings in the flesh once and after seeing pictures of them in books for years, I was stunned at how good they looked when I was actually standing in front of them.
    I put the photos that people supplied up on the computer screen and just spin around to see if I'm on track with colours and detail. The beauty of this is that I can enlarge whenever I want.
    I'll do the fins tonight which should be quite easy...I hope.

The fins have some colour and I drew the scales last night. Tonight I'll detail the scales, make some light and some dark and start the pink dots which run the entire length of the fish.
    The bottom fins don't have much detail because there will be a lot of water splashed around them which will hide a lot of the detail.
    Getting there !

Quote Originally Posted by Little grey men View Post
    The fins have some colour and I drew the scales last night. Tonight I'll detail the scales, make some light and some dark and start the pink dots which run the entire length of the fish.
    The bottom fins don't have much detail because there will be a lot of water splashed around them which will hide a lot of the detail.
    I think I'll add in a few lilly pads with cool whitish purple flowers.
    Getting there !
    LGM ....... Its really coming along nicely , Looks great!!!

Chris

Just over half way through now. I think I'll put some trees closer and quite a few lillies in the water.