Thread: Tips on Painting

Tips on Painting

ok so i have just finished the last part of fiberglassing on the inside of the boat.

so its time to paint and lay carpet. so qustion is do i use FlowCoat for the inside of the boat ? Eg Rear Seats, side walls and so on
    i wanna paint it all the way to the nose. i got my seats reapolstered and alot of new gear so might aswell go all out and paint the lot

i have a spray gun but think over spray go everywhere so i really hope i can use a roller as god dang i couldent get it looking good with a brush

BUT I could take it to work to use spray gun hehe
    so any tips and pointers be great

Thanks Ian
    p.s i wont post any pics till she finished -

Re: Tips on Painting

Mate,

Most important thing I learnt in kindergarten................dont go outside the lines. Stay inside the lines, will look much beter...................

Post us some finished pics

so anyone got no tips on if it going be easyer to spray/ brush or roll it on ? and flow coat is what i need for inside of boat ?

If you intend to paint i would suggest you spray . Rolling will leave small micro bubbles and brushing will leave brush marks. Just be sure to mask up everything
    and use a low pressure [will cut down overspray] . It is also vital that you detail sand every part you intend to paint , use a good 2 packepoxy eurathane etch primer and a good poly eurathane top coat.

Cheers

Jighead

Ian
    I have done a few rebuilds/modifications, I used flow coat painted on with a cheap 4" brush, it goes on very thick and is very forgiving with a big brush. After I finished with the main colour (blue in one case) i got a 2" brush and flicked white flowcoat over the whole inside (don't go overboard), came up a treat. Another boat I used white flowcoat and flicked black and blue over it, also came up a treat. You don't even notice the brush marks. Finish off with the carpet for a fully profesional job.
    You probably know, flowcoat is gelcoat with wax added to alllow it to dry when exposed to air.
    Regards Wayne