Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Importing from USA – The journey so far…..

Re: Importing from USA – The journey so far…..

Quote Originally Posted by leezor View Post
    Darren, I had the same coupling on an Ezyloader a couple of years ago, and I didn't really like it so will probably end up changing it anyway. I don't need to get a RWC as it's brand new so could probably get away with it.

The old man and I are going to tow it up up here with his Discovery, I have a Diesel Patrol which I will use once I get it home.

I still may take it for a test run in Noosa, all depends on if I have time to drain the fuel and put the hardtop back on while I am down there.
    I would recommend changing that coupling. The trailer will not need a roadworthy but will still need to be certified by Queensland transport or an HVRAS officer. Regardless I'm sure the insurance company wouldn't look to favorably on a non complaint coupling if god forbid anything was to happen.

Cheers Chris

Thanks for your input Chris, the original plan was to change the coupling in Brisbane before I towed it home, but it all seemed to difficult so have decided to wait till I get it back to Townsville.

Cheers,

lee

I just reread that last post of mine it almost sounded like i was giving a lecture. Trailers are what i do for a living i don't mean to sound so negative i was just giving you my "professional" opinion . Now if you need someone who is HAVRAS certified to certify your trailer.... . I don't think you will have any dramas anyway, it sounds and looks like a pretty sweet rig you have purchased.

Cheers Chris

No problems Chris, I didn't think the coupling would comply with our regulations. I suppose I was trying to get around having to replace it straight away. I didn't even think about the insurance implications if there was an accident. So I think its probably wise to get it replaced ASAP.

Thanks again,

Lee

Thanks leezor iam thinking about doing the same thing.Ive been looking at 25foot proline ,i have 40000aud 2 spend the boat is 23000usd.Do u think that i will be able 2 do it at that price. It is located at fourt laurderdale fl.

quick question..why isn't the coupling legal here ?

Quote Originally Posted by wogboykane View Post
    Thanks leezor iam thinking about doing the same thing.Ive been looking at 25foot proline ,i have 40000aud 2 spend the boat is 23000usd.Do u think that i will be able 2 do it at that price. It is located at fourt laurderdale fl.
    I reckon it's going to cost you over $50k landed:

Boat - $23,000usd
    Road transport to port - $1200usd
    Ocean freight - $15000usd
    Total - $39,200usd = $43,000aud (roughly)
    GST on $43000 = $4300

I reckon your up for roughly $48,000 landed, then on top of that you will have Australian customs fees which will be around $1000. Then you also need to allow for other things such as, dissasembly costs over there, trailer import fee ($50), making the trailer compliant, If the trailer doesnt have 4 wheel discs and electric over hyraulic brakes you will be up for close to $4000aud.
    Then you also need to allow for having the boat checked out, that cost me $350usd.

I reckon your going to need atleast another $10k on top of your budget to the Pro-Line home.

Cheers,

Lee

Here are the legal requirements from the Dept of Transport's website:

12.2 Couplings
    Couplings must be of a positive locking type with provision for a second independent device. The locking must be readily verifiable by visual inspection.
    Trailers having an ATM of up to 3.5 tonnes must have a quick release coupling which is designed to be engaged and disengaged without the use of tools.

12.2.1 50mm Ball Couplings
    Ball couplings used on trailers with an ATM of up to 3.5 tonnes must comply with the Australian Standard AS 4177.3-1994 and be installed so that the height of the centre of the body of the ball coupling is between 350mm and 420mm from the ground when laden. A coupling body complying with AS 4177.3 will be marked with:
    · its manufacturer's name or trademark if Australian made;
    · the mark '50';
    · the maximum rating for the coupling body in one of the following as applicable
    - 750 kg; or
    - 2000 kg; or
    - 3500 kg;

· a code to indicate the serial number batch production date or similar;
    · the words 'DO NOT WELD' if the coupling body is manufactured from cast iron or other non-weldable materials.

12.2.2 Couplings for trailers of ATM over 3.5 tonnes and up to 4.5 tonnes
    Trailers under this category can use Automatic Pin Couplings Hook Couplings or other couplings complying with ADR 62/ 01.
    Before purchasing a coupling for this size trailer you should require that the coupling supplier provides a statement confirming that the coupling complies with ADR 62/ 01.
    If you intend to manufacture your own coupling then you will need to obtain a set of Australian Design Rules and conduct physical testing to ensure compliance.

Here is a photo of the coupling, it's rated at 7000lbs and uses a 2 5/16 ball not 50mm, does any one know for sure if it is not legal here?

Very interesting thread Leezor. When I bought my last boat it was from Sydney. I am in the NT so had to have it inspected etc.

I can remember the stress of that let alone bring one from the states.

The savings will make it worth while. International trade is so common these days, bit like buying fishing gear, just a big bit of gear that's all.

Really hope it all works out for you, I have only heard good things about these hulls.

Goes to show what the mark up is like here doesn't it. Shame the local importers couldn't match the US prices.

thanks mate I realy appriciate it

Lee and Pinhead,

As you guys probably know, I work in the trade.

The 2/5/16 ball is illegal (or the coupling that holds it is anyway). It has to be 50mm or 70mm. We have had to change our Easy Loader trailers to 70mm balls to be compliant.

Somehow, when they import the boats, the first buyer is allowed to use the couplings as in the pics. But when we send them off for a roadworthy to transfer to the second owner, they are deemed illegal. Not sure how they get away with it from new (I have enquired to Qld Transport to no avail), but thats what happens.

Trying to find actual answers to these questions from Qld Transport is like getting blood from a stone. Take it to the next level of management is the wall I continually hit when trying for answers from line staff and inspectors.

Regards

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by boatboy50 View Post
    Lee and Pinhead,

As you guys probably know, I work in the trade.

The 2/5/16 ball is illegal (or the coupling that holds it is anyway). It has to be 50mm or 70mm. We have had to change our Easy Loader trailers to 70mm balls to be compliant.

Somehow, when they import the boats, the first buyer is allowed to use the couplings as in the pics. But when we send them off for a roadworthy to transfer to the second owner, they are deemed illegal. Not sure how they get away with it from new (I have enquired to Qld Transport to no avail), but thats what happens.

Trying to find actual answers to these questions from Qld Transport is like getting blood from a stone. Take it to the next level of management is the wall I continually hit when trying for answers from line staff and inspectors.

Regards

Darren
    It has me puzzled how the first buyer is allowed "legally" to use the coupling. My guess would be the importer is certifying and registering the trailers "in house"with little regard for the standard. If so lets hope the importers public liability insurance is up to date. I would also guess if the police or QT were doing road side spot inspection for unroadworthy vehicles they would defect the trailer.

Bay,

My guess is that just like Lee above, they know they don't have to get a RWC, only self assess, so allow themselves to "get away with it".

When it actually has to be assessed, it is deemed illegal.

All the Bayliner, Maxum ect dealers still allow the dodgy couplings. I wonder if any have faced lawsuits from accidents?

When I bought this exact issue up with DOT, they just shrugged it off and handballed their responsability.

Regards

Darren

P.S. Pinhead, The reason is something to do with the US couplings not being able to lock onto the ball to our standards. I take it your recent purchase has the US coupling? Maybe you should bring this topic up with Cunningham's and see what outcome you get?
    Last edited by boatboy50; 24-02-2008 at 08:22 PM.

I can see why QT would shrug the issues off, as it is the responsibility of the HAVRAS certifier or self assessor (trailers under 750atm) to see to it that the trailer meets the Australian standards. If something was to go wrong QT would be in the clear and the certifier or self assessor would also be legally liable.