Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Importing from USA – The journey so far…..

Re: Importing from USA – The journey so far…..

Leezor,

So the engine check was US$350 and how much was the hull inspection?

Cheers

top thread lee,
    i am watching with great interest.
    steve

Thumbs up Re: Importing from USA – The journey so far…..

Thanks for sharing leezor really interesting thread.
    Your research on the handling and build quality of those chosen boats in lieu of a test run should suffice. Of course it's always an advantage to have a drive of a boat before buying, though in this case these craft are held in very high regard. Unlike a one-off or a customized boat where a test would be essential, you'll be safe going with the inspection reports and well founded reputations.

It sounds like you've gone to a lot of trouble and your experiences will certainly assist anyone else contemplating such a venture.

looking forward to the next installment.

cheers

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it sure has been a stressful couple of weeks. Nothing worse than having $30,000 sitting in cyberspace between accounts, especially offshore accounts.
    All monies have got to where they were supposed to go so that is a big relief.

BM, the boat survey was $250usd and to have a mechanic go over the engine was an additional $100usd.

Got word the trailer was delivered today, so all is on target for pick up next week ready for the shipping company where it is getting prepared for the trip across the pond.
    The preparation includes removal of the hard top, repositioning of the winch post forward to minimise overall shipping volume, cleaning, shrink wrapping and strapping etc.

I was initially concerned with the overall width of the trailer as some US trailers are wider than our legal width of 2.5mt. The guy emailed me today with the width and it comes just under 2.4mt, so width of the trailer is not a problem.

To answer the questions about handling of the boat etc, I basically left this up to feedback and what I read on forums. I also know a guy here who has fished on a 2601 and was impressed with all aspects of the boat. I had a look at it and I was most impressed, the layout of the boat is perfect for my style of fishing.

With regards to the shipping, I recieved around 5 quotes in total, ranging from $9200usd to $20,000usd. The quotes at the bottom end of the scale didn't include things like insurance, shrink wrapping, fumigation etc etc. By the time I added all these things on import-a-boat's quote was pretty close. I could of saved a $1500 or so doing it myself, though this being my first import I decided to leave it up to the pro's. Only time will tell if I made the right decision...

Hey leezor would the hull fit in a 40 foot container and have it braced inside incase of the dreaded rock and roll disease at sea?

Great read Lee, boat looks sweet

Ohhh, do you have any room for a motor anywhere to bring back over for me

Daz

Very nice looking boat....

I look forward to reading your water test report.......

and if you don't mind,,, Could I view the boat sometime. I have also considered importing a boat from the USA and I am interested in seeing how they are built...
    Last edited by Jabba_; 06-02-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba_ View Post
    Very nice looking boat....

I look fforward to reading your water test report.......

and if you don't mind,,, Could I view the boat sometime. I have also consideed importing a boat from the USA and I am interested in seeing how they are built...

Jabba.. ya might have to fire up the Etec for a long drive to NQ
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Jabba.. ya might have to fire up the Etec for a long drive to NQ
    Oh... might not worrie about it then...

Jabba..I have a striper..the smaller version..1851WA..if you want a look at it sometime give me a yell..I am in brisbane.

Lee,

Nice work, and thanks for sharing ALL the details with the gang here.

You will be impressed with the boat to no end.

Did you send any Qld Transport regs to the trailer builders for our build specs? They are readily available on the net in PDF.

Guys, I can vouge for the build quality and ride of the Seaswirls. I have owned two, and discussed with Lee the pro's and con's of them.

If you want to see one in the flesh, pop in to Cunningham's Marine at Redcliffe, where they have one new for around 120k.

Regards

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo59 View Post
    Hey leezor would the hull fit in a 40 foot container and have it braced inside incase of the dreaded rock and roll disease at sea?
    Hey Jimbo, she is to wide to fit into an enclosed 40ft container. Though could of gone in a "flat pack"which is basically a 40ft container without sides.

Jabba, I will be in Brisbane once it arrives for a couple days, then towing it up to Noosa to stay with my folks and catch up with my mates. Might even find the time to put it in at Tewantin and take it for a spin. Your welcome to have a sticky then if you like.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by boatboy50 View Post
    Lee,

Did you send any Qld Transport regs to the trailer builders for our build specs? They are readily available on the net in PDF.
    Darren, yes mate gave tham all the details, Loadmaster even supplied me with a certificate stating the trailer meets all Transport Australia Safety Standards as required by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Have submitted all the required paperwork to DOTARS and am waiting on the import approval to arrive.

Cheers, Mate

Lee

Good stuff Lee,

Looks like you've covered all bases so far.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Regards

Darren

she is to wide to fit into an enclosed 40ft container
    That explains the shipping cost then. I was thinking a container would have been a cheaper option.

Great read, thanks for sharing. Mate and I have been tossing up buying in the US. Been interesting reading how the dollars add up.

Also, I know a guy who has brought 2 boats over through import-a-boat. He can't speak highly enough of them, so based on what he says, I think you made the right call.