Thread: Ya gotta start some where

Ya gotta start some where

Took the lad, master 5, out for spot of crabbin.

Passed him a whiting rod to pass the time whilst we waited to pull the crabs nets up. He immediately began hauling aboard pinky snapper after pinky snapper. I took the oppurtunity to get him his first fish on ( sorry boys ) soft plastics. Ooooh horrible words. Which he promptly did .

Well I spotted the cheapy ($30.00 ebay ) fly rod which is a permanent fixture on the boat with a rather crude all flash bms ( tied by Dad) attached.

Anyway the lad nails his first fish on fly, a pinky snapola, his casting is not great, but his stripping, hooking, playing and landing of the fish are all first rate. Well the apple doesnt fall far at all

Out of about 5 casts he manages 3 snapper.
    Hes on the board.

I dunno whose happier..... who woulda thought so much pleasure could come from such tiny fish...

Re: Ya gotta start some where

Oustanding!! A real education!

Congratulations, better results than my first day fly fishing!
    Don't play stupid with me...I'm better at it!

Cheers guys,

Dads proud as punch.

Hes all "ohh yeah" just another day at the office, I think as he gets older he'll appreciate it more. He was just as happy pullin the crabs from the nets.

Mate, what a start. From my experience you will not lose sight of that day in a hurry. And if the young fella is keen to wet a line you can write a ticket to get out of the mowing and have a ball together anytime.

Jeff