Thread: Hey guys

Hey guys

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to drop down a quick introductory post here. Name's Martijn (pronounce Martin if you like so you don't break anything in your throat ) from Holland.

I'll be travelling through your beaut country from mid-march of this year for one or two years, hoping to do a lot of fishing all around the coast as well as inland where possible.

I've been spending a lot of time reading articles and the forums here (and around the web) for more information to prepare myself properly as I want to hit the road (well, the water really..) running once I arrive.

I still have a bunch of questions which I will throw at you guys over the next few weeks until I hopefully have everything I need to get started and also I'm hoping to be able to meet up with some people along the road, no better way to learn than from experienced locals after all.

Little more about me, I'm 29 and currently self-employed in various media-related fields such as photographer (photo and film) and producer of corporate videos and other related things like interactive and modern presentations.

Fishing-wise it's been a quiet decade or so. When I was young I used to fish a lot, mostly the various white river fish we get here as well as some pike but as I got older I kind of lost interest as it's not much of a sport really. I did go ocean fishing a couple of times (hence my profile pic) and caught a couple decent cod but the last time doing that was like 8 years ago as well.

Not sure how old I was when we started getting the Discovery Channel here, but they were showing Rex Hunt Fishing Adventures here pretty much daily and that really turned me onto Australian fishing: the variety of species, real fighting fish and the relatively easy access to such fish compared to this part of Europe.

So one of the main attractions of going over there for such a long time is to fish, catch my own dinner where possible and just generally have a blast!

Hope to see you guys out there! Cheers.

Re: Hey guys

Gday Martin and welcome aboard. You'll certainly get some good info from around here. Oh and we're not all like Rex Hunt (thank god)!

Cheers
    Kezza

Oh and we're not all like Rex Hunt
    Yeah I know mate, some of you are more like Steve Irwin, hahahaha

But seriously I reckon I forgot to mention where I was going so I'll just add that in. I'm flying in to Sydney (March 18th or so) to buy a car and gear there and will drop down to Melbourne and then pretty much straight away travel back up the coast again doing the a full circle of the country, counter-clockwise, aiming to be in Cairns around June and back in Melbourne around November/December. Of course that's just the plan and it's subject to a lot of change and if I do decide to stay a second year I can change my plans around even more. But then that's part of the fun, the unknown and freedom to go where I want and do what I want.

So basically I should see most of the types of fishing spots that Australia has to offer.

Man I can't wait.. wish I was boarding that plane tomorrow!

Martijn welcome to ausfish keep a commentary going as to where you are in aus some ausfishers might even be able to take you out fishing so much better going with a local
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Hey mate, thanks! Yeah I was planning on doing that, hoping that I could meet up with some members around the coast so I'll drop a message here every so often when I can!

Give us a scream when your in Brissy - more than welcome on my boat mate. Hey we might be able to link up free fishing around this great country of ours for you!! Come on Ausfish members do ya bit for tourism!

G'day Martijn,

When you arrive in Melbourne the second run of snapper should be starting and when you finally intend on returning around NOV/Dec will be the start of the new season. This year the fish were plentiful prior to Xmas. I'll stuggle to catch up in March as I'm heading up to the Gold Coast at the end of March but will keep on eye out on your progress around our great land and maybe try and catch up when you return to Melbourne. I don't have a boat myself but maybe able to wrangle one or if you don't mind some land based fishing I'm we can find somewhere to wet a line.
    I somehow doubt you'll ever return once you've experienced the fishing up north though.

Regards
    Steve

Hey Sam.. will do, thanks! I'm dutch so anything free is good for me, hahaha!

Steve, yeah I reckon you might be right from what I've heard from friends who've been around Australia but I'll need to come down eventually to fly back. I'll mostly be doing land based fishing anyway so is no prob at all for me, I'm just happy to hang out with some local talent
    Last edited by Martijnf; 07-02-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martijnf View Post
    Hey Sam.. will do, thanks! I'm dutch so anything free is good for me, hahaha!

Steve, yeah I reckon you might be right from what I've heard from friends who've been around Australia but I'll need to come down eventually to fly back. I'll mostly be doing land based fishing anyway so is no prob at all for me, I'm just happy to hang out with some local talent

I have jst re-read my post. There was never any mention of talent

I have jst re-read my post. There was never any mention of talent
    well it has been said that I put the ass in assumption. My english isn't very good so I have no clue what that means tho