Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What type spin rod for barra

Re: What type spin rod for barra

See what happens. Copy from December 2007 Fishing World Magazine, for anyone interested

MODS, PLEASE DELETE IF IN APPROPRIATE

Brad,

I am getting a Egrell S10 for exactly the same purpose your talking about. I have had a good feel of a few, and I reckon it will suit Tan perfectly. I also reckon the 6kg BeaR would do OK, Bit lighter and Bit shorter too. Basically the spin verion of the rod you got. Give me a call if you want. I can fill you in some more. See ya next trip up. Hope you get that business sorted with the motor too!

cheers steve.

The Egrell S10 does all that's claimed of it. And more. My fishing partner Jannine Saunders caught a tarpon over a hundred pounds on one. It ate an unweighted Gulp.
    My only reservation is the light tip...great for unweighted plastics but it can start getting overloaded with the likes of big Tango Dancers.
    Eric actually designed this blank. That's a rare distinction for an Australian rod builder. It isn't surprising he's got such a big underground cult following.

Have a look at the wilson live fibre web site they do a sportfishing series of rods called blades and tales they are definately worth a gander i have one in the 6-10 kg witha daiwa 4000acapricorn agreat out fit they do many sizes and weights atleast have a look i recon ...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Rod, yes they are excellent rods. My understanding is the soft tip is ane excellent feature giving extra 'feel/sensitivity' to what essentially is a heavy class rod (that is physically light).

During the fight with big fish the tip basically folds away and the mid/lower sections do all the hard work. It truely is a brilliantly designed rod. As are his baitcasters. I have been fortunate enough to assist with the performance testing of the baitcaster range and rate them very highly in every aspect, particularly in the impoundment barra scene. I havent had the opportunity to use the spin range, however, I have seen big barra landed in heavy cover with the S10 with plenty of spare grunt.

If they can handle and land XOS tarpon, Amberjack, kinggies etc....barra are pretty tame in comparison to these brutes.

Cheers steve

Right on, Steve.
    I should have expanded my coments on the tip and mentioned the reservation was to do with casting weights getting beyond an ounce. Nothing to do with fighting. It is, a very special stick.

Hi Brad , from a female point of view, I use a 5'4 GL2 Loomis with a 3000 Diawa Exceler Plus with 30lb platyl braid which is light weight you can cast it allday without your arms dropping off , I have caught 112cm barra on this outfit and truly recomend it, as for trolling it is too light ,so up grade the rod to a t-curve...... I hope this can help....,

Thank you all for your imput and comments. I have decided on an Egrell S10 customised for my wife. Rang Eric today and he was very helpfull with talking about what I wanted. Both Eric & Deb are wonderful and knowledgable people and go out of their way to help, It helped my decision making by having an Egrell B6-6 already in the arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Barraboy7 View Post
    Hi guys
    I too hve been seeking out a good rod in this range, to add to the firepower. As you guys know there are racks and racks of baitcst rods, most places only have a few decent grunt spin rods suitable for Dam barra. Not everyone wants to spend mega bucks on a Loomis.
    I was in a Townsville tackle store recently and it was great they had some really nice rods in their range.
    I bought a Gladiator 6-8 kg 2.1metres, really nice rod, quality Fugi Guides and reel seat, for $129.00
    Itching to use it with my new Daiwa Advantage 3000spin with 30lb braid, its a new one in the range one up from Tierras, just under the Sols.
    Barraboy7
    Good day Barraboy,
    How does your gladiator go?
    They look like good value for the outlay.
    Cheers
    Reidy