Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Building of the new Riptide platey **it finally floats**

Re: Building of the new Riptide platey

Hi Greg
    Ahhh, if only my lotto ticket would come up.
    It looks great, your tank configuration raises a question in my mind.
    Namely what is the relative merit of fuel tank aft /kill tank forward.
    I ask this because i am thinking about the weight distribution, is it personal preference or does it relate to making the fishing area user friendly or some other aspect.?
    I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your project.
    Cheers
    rando

Yeah! She's comin' along Greg, not long before the Cab is on and its all on from there...That Pinhead is a scream...why did you let the cat outta the bag, you reckon Flamin' Riptide is lairey Pinhead, wait til you see the reefmasters effort!

Keep the pics and build stories coming mate

Rob, the fuel tank aft keeps the main weight of 250litres plus of fuel in the rear and low centre of gravity for stability, correct trim and attitude, it stops the bow from diving away and slamming because of the poor weight distribution. That's one of the reasons why Riptide's ride so well and are exceptionally stable at rest.

Cheers

Rhys

G'day

Nice choice of boat, I have had Dave do some repairs on my tinny and everything has been excellent

Looking forward to this thread as it progresses

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Baitball View Post
    , however this sounds to me like a discounted boat advert for Riptide to me.

PA-leaseeee bait ball so what your saying is no one can post a pic of there boat? or rods n reels or Gulp SPs or anything for that matter

first of all, congrats on a fine boat, 2.5m beam makes a huge difference in fishing room, you will love it, IMHO with a deep V as that i would go the 225, but thats just me

Daz

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    PA-leaseeee bait ball so what your saying is no one can post a pic of there boat? or rods n reels or Gulp SPs or anything for that matter

first of all, congrats on a fine boat, 2.5m beam makes a huge difference in fishing room, you will love it, IMHO with a deep V as that i would go the 225, but thats just me

Daz
    Wahoo,
    Not sure about the comparison to rods and reels, but I certainly welcome this type of thread showing the different styles & fitout of plate boats during construction.
    My comments were relating the the broad brush statements made that this boat builder was the only one that would fulfill all the criteria listed. In MY opinion there are are number of manufacturers that would fulfil the same criteria without problem with possible exception to a 2.5m beam from a few. Perhaps a statement that the builder was selected because they offered that beam along with feeling comfortable with the other options would be better rather than a "War & Peace" advertising article promoting the builder.
    If I recall, Reefmaster recently posted in another thread that he was doing a "deal" with Suzuki for a motor.
    I'm sorry if i came to a conclusion that his post was biased due to a "deal", I will stand corrected if that is not the case.

It was not my intention to hijack this thread and I will not pass any further comment but I get a little sick of posts that smack of self interest, rather than clear unbiased facts.

Pinhead I think I will leave the flames to Rhys

Kezza - Glassing your kill tank with 25mm foam will keep ice 10 times longer then without. The alloy is certainly a good conducter. Mate not sure how far off the water it will be because I will be doing the paint and fitout myself. Aim is to have it all happening for the Fraser Island comp in May.

Rando- As Rhys pointed out the position of the fuel tank is where these hulls prefer the weight in order to work at it's best. I guess having the killtank/esky forward up under the hardtop will also add in shading and keeping it cooler.

Regards Greg

Vindicator, there is a 6.5 centre cab stingray at John Crawford Marine with a big underfloor fibreglassed kill tank in it. Even the lid is glassed up. An excellent idea especially if put in the right position in the boat to add a bit of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Baitball View Post
    My comments were relating the the broad brush statements made that this boat builder was the only one that would fulfill all the criteria listed. In MY opinion there are are number of manufacturers that would fulfil the same criteria without problem with possible exception to a 2.5m beam from a few. Perhaps a statement that the builder was selected because they offered that beam along with feeling comfortable with the other options would be better rather than a "War & Peace" advertising article promoting the builder.
    If I recall, Reefmaster recently posted in another thread that he was doing a "deal" with Suzuki for a motor.
    I'm sorry if i came to a conclusion that his post was biased due to a "deal", I will stand corrected if that is not the case.

It was not my intention to hijack this thread and I will not pass any further comment but I get a little sick of posts that smack of self interest, rather than clear unbiased facts.
    Baitball
    I can not see where in my post that I made a broad brush statement that only one brand of boat could fulfill my needs?. I did say most but this does not mean all.

Mate this thread was far from a manufacturing debut and certainly not the garbage you suggested of a "war and peace advertising article to promote the builder" I have not bagged or defaced any builder what so ever with this thread and nor was it my intentions.

I chose Riptide because of the product and I will be more then happy to write about it both here and in BushnBeach if I wish. Like I said earlier at no stage was my thread on here part of any deals (and even if it was what business is it yours) so wouldn't my time and effort to post the build suggest it was to show and help others out on this site?

Yes Suzuki are going to help me out of which still goes through a dealer. Once again it was my decision to go with a Suzuki four stroke (did I mention it was the worlds best four stroke ) so if I wish to mention it so be it. Geez I would have to run a 100 posts to catch up with the promoting of ETECS

Seriously baitball please enjoy the build of the RIPTIDE and you may realise why the 2.5 beam and the layout of a riptide was so important with my needs in a boat

Regards,
    Greg

Thumbs up Re: Building of the new Riptide platey

looking forward to some more of the build pics

real nice rig with lots of well thought out ideas and practicalities put into the layout

cheers

Gday Greg she's looking sweet. Wandering if you are going to store fresh water below the floor also. About the only thing i forgot about when building my cat and wish i had of put a fresh water tank below the floor.Keep up the good work look forward to seeing more info of your new pride and joy in progress.
    regards wadeo

Mate the boat you are building is a credit to you and also riptide. Also a great move puttinf a 4 stroke on it that will shut the etec boys up for a while. Regards mark

Greg,
    Just cut up some old cold room panel this arv to make up the insulation for the kill tank. Will start fiberglassing it tomorrow then glue it all in then fiberglass the joins. I've cut it 30mm thick so I reckon it should do the job.

Cheers
    Kezza

Greg,
    By the looks going turn out being a great Riptide boat there Don't worry about fitting it out you will have fun in doing it and have the personal touch and know every part of the Riptide

With that 350 litre fuel tank and 200 or 225 hp four stroke outboard going on the back with that no red's will be safe now in the offshore waters off Queenland coastline

Mitch
    ps keep the photos and story coming along
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

Hi Greg,
    Looks great now and I'm sure it will be even better when it's finished. You mention you are doing the painting/fitting-out on your own - just interested if you are going to go to the trouble of trying to fair/cove & 2-pack your boat? I've chose the full epoxy option and I've almost finished my new 5.3 m platie but after 2 1/2 months there are times I question my initial enthusiasm.
    Briz

Wadeo
    At this stage I will be putting a water bladder in the very back section of transom but this will depend on room left after the fuel tank goes in. I will just run a valve so I can run both fresh and salt water through the deck wash. I'm pretty certain a reasonable amount of water will fit in this area.

Kezza
    Geez you don't muck around when an idea is in your head Well done sounds like it will get well used for it's purpose.

Mitch
    The prep and paint is what I'm dreading the most as it will take some time to do the right job. It should have a pretty good range so bring on the reds.

Briz
    Mate at this stage I have not decided which way to go with paint and will keep researching unitl I'm happy and confident in what we use. If you could PM your experiences with what you have done so far it would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Greg