Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Building of the new Riptide platey **it finally floats**

Re: Building of the new Riptide platey **it finally floats**

Greg that is a credit to you and the builder. From a punters point of view its obvious a lot of thought has gone into making things WORK.

Just one question, with plateys like this is the floor sealed before the carpet goes down and how do you deal with the salt that gets trapped in the carpet?

Scott

hey mate,

that is a wonderful looking rig - hope she serves you well.

quick question and excuse my ignorance - how does the self draining deck work on that boat ?

are they the scuppers on the bottom of the vee, below the waterline ?
    is there some type of arrangement that stops the water coming back in to the hull when the scuppers are open ?

cheers,
    d

G'day Dooley,

You wont get greg til after Fraser now. But I own a Riptide and know Greg's boat, so I can perhaps fill in some of the blanks

I think the things you are calling scuppers under the waterline are actually the volvo penta trim tabs.

Yep the Riptide has self draining deck with two mechanically operated Scuppers, one to the port one to the starboard on the stern, the scuppers are just above the water line but hidden from view by the rear duck board. I'm not sure they would ship a lot of water in a hurry if a huge wave dumped in the back of the boat, but they will move water out, they will open under the pressure of a wave dumping, but need to be closed manually. there is no arrangement that stops the water coming in when the scuppers are open.

cheers

Rhys

Thanks mate.

I could see the tabs, but if you go further down the transom, what are those two grey things on the transom, near the keel ?

That's what i was referring to - looked like scuppers but i could be mistaken.

I imagine there's some form of lever or cord that you can access from within the boat to close the scuppers.
    Last edited by dooley; 20-05-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Yeah Dooley, they are sacrificial zinc anodes

Cheers

Rhys

Congrates Greg
    Won't be long till she's full of Reds too i guess
    Frazer will be a sure bet Nice rig once again mate
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Geez Rhys, I thought you would have been up at fraser too with bells on.

Cheers
    Kezza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    Well done Greg - She looks grand ! Now FFS get some blood into it and mess it up - it is too white inside

What are the fuel rates with the EP20

That trailer is a piece of art - not much chance of missing when driving her on

Hi Greg
    I'm yet to interface the Suzuki with the Lowrance GPS so I'm not sure on fuel figures yet but the first drive around Moreton running the engine in which consisted of a lot of different throttle variations and this returned firgures of 150km for 120ltrs. I reckon I could have sold 50 of those Trailers at Fraser alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Greg,Terry & Riptide What a work of art. You should be extremely proud of yourselves.

All the hard work has paid off thats for sure. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Surely you are going to have it on display at the Brisbane boat show I hope.

The biggest thanks of all I suspect will go to Critter & the kids for being so understanding of the time required & shear size of the project.

WE SALUTE YOU KRISTY

Steveo the hard work did pay off in the end but as you say a massive thanks does go to Kristy and the kids. Kristy has been great through the whole process and I can't thank her enough for everything she has done (including letting me spend all our savings ) Working full time and as well as looking after the kids and doing all the duties is a bigger task then building the boat. "I SALUTE HER TOO"

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by SgBFish View Post
    Greg that is a credit to you and the builder. From a punters point of view its obvious a lot of thought has gone into making things WORK.

Just one question, with plateys like this is the floor sealed before the carpet goes down and how do you deal with the salt that gets trapped in the carpet?

Scott

Hi Scott
    It's one thing to design how you want a boat but it's another to find a builder to actually work through these with you and even better your ideas as your going. Dave at Riptide did all this with ease and I can't thank him enough. I'm not sure what you mean about sealing the floor before the carpet goes down but the carpet is just glued down on the bare floor sheets. The salt and sand can just be washed out of the carpet and never seems to be an issue if you look after it.

Cheers Greg

Greg, I've just read through the whole thing from go to whoa.....

What a journey.....and what a top result....
    My next boat'll be a platey very similar to yours......
    I can only wish for a similar finish..............Top Job.

Good Luck..Good Fishin............. Hope you get heaps
    Don.
    "Magpie Navy." VHF 73.

It was a Woman who drove me to Drink......
    ....and I never gave her money for the Petrol......

Greg

I know there was a Barcrusher a while back that had pitting where salt was trapped in the carpet and corrosion occurred. That was a Uni dive boat so I can’t imagine there would have been too much maintenance!

The question was more about whether it was worth putting a sealer coat (say Nylac) on the floor before the carpet went down.

It is an awesome rig that has raised the bar for other builders.

Scott

Greg, the paint finish inside & out is excellent craftsmanship. Who did the work, & was it done in a heated booth? I noticed you fitted analogue gauges, vice digital. Was that a bit of personal expression, for looks or for functionality? Couldn't see a windscreen wiper in front of the coxswain's station. Is that something you decided against or does the screen angle & width compensate? The internal fit out is also excellent, more quality craftsmanship there. Did you & your Dad do that work? Love the name.

regards, Mark

DUBL or NUFIN