Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Building of the new Riptide platey **it finally floats**

Re: Building of the new Riptide platey

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Hi Greg,

Also do you know how far Greg P's boat is from finnish . I am fitting his engine

I just came back from Finland !!!
    Dont you touch my Zuke

Greg - lookin good, when do you retire the old faithful JBS

Sorry Rhys I missed your question about a name for the boat. Well almost a 99% sure on a name but will have to wait and see It will have something to do with Double Island Point my second home.

Garry
    I reckon it will come around the same weight as yours but won't be surprised if it's more when fully loaded. Hopefully know more about the trailer this afternoon but it looks like a custom Alloy trailer will go under it. Dave makes an awesome alloy trailer which I would far more want then a gal steel job which don't last long these days and require alot of attention. thought about going the sensabrake but heard alot of bad reports of them not lasting long although I'm told the newer models are alot better. Was thinking of just going with the Carlisle Hydrastar set up but still unsure. Greg Pearce's boat hasn't started yet and will start soon as mine is gone so it looks like a while yet Garry.

Martinies
    A good plate boat can set you back heaps but all depends on what you want and if your willing to do some work yourself. (paint fitout etc). Bigger plate boats mean bigger motors, Hyd breakaway trailer etc etc so it can quickly add up. It's not hard to spend $80,000 on a decent platey and that depends on electronics because that alone can set you back heaps more. You will find most bare platey hulls will cost over $25,000 and the options are endless. Even with a small platey with a fourstroke you would hard up to build one for around $50,000

Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    I just came back from Finland !!!
    Dont you touch my Zuke

Greg - lookin good, when do you retire the old faithful JBS

I thought you might jump on Garry's post Greg.
    The JBS won't be far off retirement mate. It's done close to 7000km in 4 years It's seen a few fish on the decks too

Cheers
    Greg
    Last edited by Reefmaster; 05-02-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Ya not really gonna call it DIPPY (Double Island Points Poser Yacht) are ya???

or even worse Flamin' DIPPY!!!!

Forgot about the Greg P on here

Thanks for the update on that.. gives me some breathing space
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Hi Greg, I have reading about your new plate that riptide is building you and it sounds like a cracker. Two mates and I built a 6.3 cutty plate with 5mm bottom, 4mm all over, from alloy boats aust, 300lts fuel and came in under 2 tones, we powered it with 175 suzi 4 stroke and it hamers, I have a v19c haines with a DF 140 on it and it has not looked back. You are with out a dought going down the right parth with suzi you will not beat the fuel accom. I mostly fish the bunker groups out of Turky beach, but in the last 5-6 years have been "tring to fish double island" I read about the talk you gave at the bout show about sounding for reds off DIP, I was woundering if you could give me any tips or DVD's as a fellow fisherman I would be very apprecheve. Thanks and safe fishing, all the best with the new vess.

oooppps

Edited, so as not to hijack the thread.
    Last edited by rando; 13-02-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Rhys - DIPPY (Double Island Points Poser Yacht) that's a classic but to be a true poser you need flames and I will leave that with you

Michael
    Mate the Suzuki has been the easiest decision of the boat and I will be confident it will be a fantastic motor. Unfortunately the DVD footage I showed at the Boat show had no sound so that I could talk my way through it explaining what was what. With out myself talking through it or a voice over this footage would be useless but after all the feed back I received on that 5 minutes of footage alone I'm looking at making a full DVD in the not to distant future. PM your email and I will send some info on chasing reds of DI.

Regards,
    Greg

Pic 1 - Transom almost complete

Pic2 - The built in hand rails is a indication of Riptides true craftmanship. Not a quick easy task and even harder considering it also has a slight curve to make the task even harder. The result looks fantastic.

Pic3- Instead of going the normal weld on cast alloy bollards which look reasonably weak (and crappy) Dave has made his own bollards which lean/rake back to give a sleek look.

Pics of the Bow Sprit. The little curved strip under sprit blends in nicely with the hull.

Large rounded seat boxes with hinged lid. Top compartments will house a cooker etc and the other will be food or what ever.

Their will be large alloy flush mount doors in back of the seat boxes. (yet to be made) The drivers side will house a slide out anchor box which can be stored away at all times to allow for a completely clean deck space whilst the passenger side will be for tackle boxes etc. The inside ends of the seat boxes will have recessed compartments for fire extinguisher and epirb.

Amazing how something so small can make a HUGE difference. Those rounded corners look fantastic Great thread RM, keep those pics coming

Thumbs up Re: Building of the new Riptide platey

The recessed compartments for the extinguisher & EPIRB are a really sensible idea , they will be out of the weather though still easily accessible.
    Extinguishers & brackets can corrode and EPIRB markings can fade when exposed to the elements .

cheers

hi there
    dont know if has already been answered or not.. just been looking at the pics looking great by the way

but if you dont mind me asking how much is the new rig setting you back???
    kiwi