Thread: maori cod

maori cod

i have been catching the odd maori cod inside port stephens for the last 10 years or so. after doing some research on them i found that they are not usually found south of new/qld border. i was wondering if anyone out there has caught them recently and in what area

cheers

Re: maori cod

can you post a picture, as what is called a Maori Cod and what is, can be two very different things! and to catch one now and then seems to be a bit more than coincidence (but not impossible)

This time last year I was catching them and another type of Cod off a jetty in Laurieton NSW (just south of Port Mcquarie). all little ones but they were still good fun on light line

thanks noelm no foto but brandons fish on the left is a small maori cod. i only seem to get them in one spot in port stephens and although i get a few small ones most of them are in the 1 to 3 kilo range. also excellent eating

Billsy, a 1 to 3 kg Maori Cod is a good specimen, don't tell too many people about that spot, they can lend themselves to be fished out 'cause they can be greedy little buggers.
    Tim

We catch the odd one off Ballina, usually in the same size range, but dont have a spot where they can be caught consistently.
    Personal reserch has shown them to be great tucker.

Muzz

Get them at Peel Island in Moreton Bay as well

Caught one off Scotts head.

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

caught a good sized maori cod at the gravel patch (off burleigh heads) in sept last year but havent seen one since. plenty of meat on the bugger too

cheers ryan

Ive caught them in the seaway on the goldy before too