Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone

Hi everyone

Hi everyone,

My name is Ron and I will be shortly moving from the UK to Townsville.
    I love boat and shore fishing and normally go fishing at least once a week, even more in the summmer months.
    I'm looking forward to fishing with you guys, as the easiest way to catch fish, is by going out with someone who know what they are doing (hopefully).

So everyone has a fish of a lifetime they want to catch, apart from Barramundi over 1m in lenght, what other trophy fish would I be looking to catch?
    Last edited by Rocket01; 30-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Re: Hi everyone

Take your pick up there mate.
    sharks... various
    marlin
    sail fish
    mackerel... various
    giant trevalley
    reef fish various
    There is a spiecies of cod up there that reach the weight of a medium sized car, but A/ you wont stop em...B/ they are protected

If you are realy game..... floating handbags have been known to put up a good fight on light tackle.

BTW...... what sort of boat will you be buying
    In townsville if you don't have a boat or access to one ( of any size) you are considered either under privaledged or weird.

I hope you like the heat & humidity...... there is plenty of that up there.
    But the roads are good & nowhere is very far from anywhere else.

cheers

yer oldboot pretty much covered it, even though i dont live or ever been there its still a great place .

y the move?

cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    If you are realy game..... floating handbags have been known to put up a good fight on light tackle.

BTW...... what sort of boat will you be buying
    Floating handbags? I take it thats an Aussie joke or either a member of the Skate family.
    I dont know what boat I want to buy atm, but I am looking to start my own fishing holiday business if possible.
    Last edited by Rocket01; 31-01-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cammy View Post
    y the move?
    I tell the missis it a better life for the kids, buts it the fishing really

Cammy that one ugly shark in your photos
    Not as ugly as the wolffish we catch in Europeon waters

Last edited by Rocket01; 31-01-2008 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket01 View Post
    Floating handbags? I take it thats an Aussie joke or either a member of the Skate family.
    He means a Saltwater Crocodile Rocket1...more than enough of them up that way and you have to be wary.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by gone_phishin View Post
    He means a Saltwater Crocodile Rocket1...
    Why didn't I guess that

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket01 View Post
    Why didn't I guess that
    I figure 'cause they're not exactly rampant around the rivers and shorelines round your way at the moment Global warming might change that in a few hundred years though

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by gone_phishin View Post
    I figure 'cause they're not exactly rampant around the rivers and shorelines round your way at the moment Global warming might change that in a few hundred years though

Geoff
    A few Great whites have been know to lurk these waters over the past few years.

Hey Guys,

That wolf-fish looks like my science teacher from school.

Cheers Steve99

I went fishing in the bay of Islands NZ 2 years ago, and was catching Yellowtail kingfish and Harpukas, is there anything around the area that fight as hard if not harder, game fish excluded.

Floating hand bag...... swamp dog........never smile.......four legged snapper.......salty...........hooks demise...... steve irwin's mate.......big lizard.....Crocodylus porosus......salt water or esturine crocodile .

Typicaly grows to 5 metres and 800Kg or so.

Looked in one of these fishing atlas things in the news agent the other day....the map for townsville had " salt water crocodiles in this area" written in red in several places.

serioulsy though..... they arent real common in townsville & the locals don't seem to be too concerned....... but they don't swim in the sea or the creeks too much

When I was up there last august out fishing with the bro' inlaw in a small creek off the ross river ...he said.."Yeh there was a real to do a while back....someone saw a big salty crusing a hundred metres off the strand & they evacuated the place.......mutter mutter public servents......look over there.....you can see where a salty used to bask on the bank.......havn't seen that one for a while..... been here for years......never bothered anyone "

Was speaking to my brother....." nah they dont bother me "...."nah there not a problem arround here YET, But I've just replaced my boat with one with higher sides" .... "like the outboard.... good deal that one..... has electric start.... baught it off a bloke with one arm"

cheers

cheers

Those long nosed short legged terriers are a bit nippy aren't they.

In my ten years in Gove in Arnhem Land I probably saw a total of about 20 crocs, and the tourists that used to come and wade up to chest height in croc territory, having a fish, were unlikely to see one at all...hence the wading, but they are there. In 1996 there were an estimated 55,000 along the coast with Arnhem Land the most densely populated... no cull since.

Whatever you do Rocket01, don't become complacent, because it's always the croc you don't see that takes you.

Geoff