Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing....Where to start?

Fly Fishing....Where to start?

Ok I've watched a lot of shows on TV and spied some blokes doing a bit of fly fishing locally.

I'm starting to get the itch to have a go myself but have no idea where to start, so I'll start with what type of fish I will be targeting and if someone could give me a start as to what to look fir in gear, that would be great.

In NQ, you can't really go past targeting barra, so thats a given, but what really interests me is targeting Tarpon, JP's, sooties, archerfish and jacks (I figure if jacks will go a popper, they should have a crack at a fly). I'll be mainly using it in the fresh water weirs and creeks nearby, and maybe it will get the odd use in the salt as well.

I would like to know what should I be looking for in an all round (if there is such a thing) set up that will handle the larger fish but also have enough finesse to make targeting and hopefully catching smaller species fun. Initially I don't want to spend a lot of money as I don't want to spend a heap of money on gear that I may get the shits with and give up on and leave at the back of the shed for all eternity. So I'm not looking at anything top of the line, but I still want a decent quality, balanced outfit to get me started, bearing in mind I like to fish for sport and am a bit partial to fishing light, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to what I should be looking for in a rig?

PS I don't really have a budget as I don't know what decent fly gear goes for and wouldn't bother setting a figure just yet.
    Last edited by Scott nthQld; 30-01-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Re: Fly Fishing....Where to start?

G'day Scott ...... I might get shot down in flames by some here with my comments .... but here goes
    You really need to set your mind on what you are willing to spend! .... i know you dont have a number in mind ... but hey
    Unlike spin gear & even to a lesser extent bait cast gear you can buy a reasonably good outfit for $250-$300 ........ Fly gear IMHO you cant really! & the quality of the rod makes all the difference when it comes to casting! A decent entry level rod therefore set you back $500ish dollars ( but note these are rods that you will be happy enough to keep .... even as you improve - say like a T Curve equivalent .... not a bottom end cheapie ....... ( I'll dig up a few for you & post again with actual prices)
    The reel ..... Unlike trout reels where the reel really just hold the line .... SWF reels need to be quite robust & have good drags ..... You dont need to spend huge ..... but buy quality! ( I'll give you some to look at)
    fly line once again a reasonable quality is required .... specially in tropical water ( & you should have a floating & a slow sinking line)

So Scott ..... I'll do a search for you & give you the oil on prices etc

Bare with me

Nagg

Scott
    Do not limit yourself, you can catch on fly what ever you normally catch on other types of fishing. Sometimes it is harder and sometimes it is easier! I am with the NQ Flyfishers based in Townsville and I fish every weekend chasing what ever is going on fly. If you want to PM that will be fine and we can have a chat. Usually the place to start is with a 7wt outfit with an intermedite line, but if you do nothing else you need to cast it a couple of times before you buy!! You can pay what ever your budget will stand but usually a starting price around $150. I use 5wt for tarpon, 7wt for sooties larger tarpon small barra, flathead, 9wt for most saltwater trevally, queenfish, golden trevelly nannagai finger mark etc. Hope this helps.
    ward

Scott .... PM sent
    Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Scott
    Do not limit yourself, you can catch on fly what ever you normally catch on other types of fishing. Sometimes it is harder and sometimes it is easier! I am with the NQ Flyfishers based in Townsville and I fish every weekend chasing what ever is going on fly. If you want to PM that will be fine and we can have a chat. Usually the place to start is with a 7wt outfit with an intermedite line, but if you do nothing else you need to cast it a couple of times before you buy!! You can pay what ever your budget will stand but usually a starting price around $150. I use 5wt for tarpon, 7wt for sooties larger tarpon small barra, flathead, 9wt for most saltwater trevally, queenfish, golden trevelly nannagai finger mark etc. Hope this helps.
    ward
    I thought these were only bottom species, I had no idea that they would take a surface lure, let alone a fly......

NAGG, Thanks for all your info, Price range was about where I was thinking, but I may be able to get hold of My uncles old gear (not that old), he was right into it a few years back, and he may still have his gear that he would be willing to part with.

Like Nagg said, if you are going to purchase an outfit buy something half decent. From past experience cheap SW fly fishing tackle leads to early replacement or lost fish, both of which suck! If you can get your hands on an Orvis TLS 8/9 wt they are great rod. They are now 3rd or 4th generation but are still a great rod and a excellent value for money, they are what I have started on. Spend as much as you can on a reel, if you are going after the fish you mentioned you are going to need it! I have ended up with 5 Sage Xi2/Tibor outfits so I must warn you, once you get into it SW fly fishing it is a expensive and very addictive habit!
    Don't play stupid with me...I'm better at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    I thought these were only bottom species, I had no idea that they would take a surface lure, let alone a fly......

NAGG, Thanks for all your info, Price range was about where I was thinking, but I may be able to get hold of My uncles old gear (not that old), he was right into it a few years back, and he may still have his gear that he would be willing to part with.
    No worries Scott ..... Just make sure that it is Salt Water gear ( not trout)
    The big difference ( beside the Wt... too light) will be the reel
    Once you know what it is .... post the details
    Nagg

[quote=Scott nthQld;756653]I thought these were only bottom species, I had no idea that they would take a surface lure, let alone a fly......

Saltwater fly fishing seems to be more popular in NQ, than down here in Bris (I'm ready to be corrected on this). My boss, when I worked in Ayr, used to pull the fly rod out regularly and do well. He would drop the fly in the snags, let it sink then retrieve. I was pleasantly surprised at how convincing the fly looked when 'swimming' threw the water.

I had a couple of goes at it and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind getting into it.

Cheers

Scott,

Talk to the guys at local tackle shop. If you are up in Cairns, talk to Keith at Bransfords or the boys at Eskines. They will be able to give you some good advice

Talk to local Flyfishing club guys also

Best of luck

NC

Chuckmeister,
    See your a redlands lad. I live at wello and have the fly bug bad. I joined the Southeast Qld Flyfishers on the goldie. Catch up with the lads at fishead at vicky point shopping center, they are right on the ball when it comes to any fly needs. I go down to the club meeting on the second tuesday of each month. Send me a PM if you want to go down for a geko.

Jeff.

Scott,
    Like the lads have indicated, it is not that easy to seperate the chaff from the hay. Have a good look around and get the goss the the local lads. I have used an innovator distance on sooties, queenies and trevers for a while now. Others from the flyclub who have had a cast with the innovator give it the thumbs up. At just on the $200 mark it may not break he bank and fit the bill well. I bought a P4 for my 9# mac and tuna outfit ( $85.00 ), Drag seems good but the jury is still out on this one. When it somes to lines get the good oil and go for quality. Even an average quality line can break your spirit and make the job hell.
    Had a weekend casting to queenies and trev's on the elliot river in bundy on the long weekend, they were a real buzz on crease fly. Scoffed em down like lollies.
    Enjoy your fly fishing.
    Jeff

comeon Nagg dont keep your advice a secret ,iam intrested also

Mate you will find that you will get hands on info when you rock up to a couple of NQ flyrodderers meetings, a club is the go . The sport can be so frustrating you may as well take a short cut .
    who knows what you might find when you google ################### you may find like minded people on line ? some times proper direction is all you need

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

OOOPS didn't realise I typed a dirty word or somthing
    But that word was saltwater flyfishing maybe I left the gap out ..... nothing intended just trying to steer you in a less confusing direction

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

now that club looks the goods ,i will see whats around my area -hervey bay ,thanks Flyfisho