Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: New Battery Losing Charge

Re: New Battery Losing Charge

Hi Splash, at 12.98 volts after 12 days, your battery is not only fully charged, it is holding it’s charge.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by groverwa View Post
    Splash

If you can get hold a Tong meter then you can measure the charge current with the motor running

The voltage measured across the battery may give a false indication as to the actual charging of the battery - our nissan pulsar had a problem that when it was run over a long distance the battery went flat and the computer shut down. The autosparky told us that nothing was wrong as the voltage was 14.4v at revs. I asked him to try and measure the charge current using tongs but he did not have one and laughed at my suggestion. I did not have a tong meter myself and with over 33 years working for Telstra on just about anything they had I do know a bit about power problems - been out 9 years now

As it turned out the regulator was doing strange things - changed the alternator and all ok - cheaper to get a new alternator than a new regulator and get it fitted

Mike
    Grover - I now have a tong meter at hand this weekend.

Best tips on how to use this thing?

Do I simply surround one cable ?

Does it matter which cable I am measring?

What range shoudl I have the multimeter on when doing this test? (A, mA, V or mV)?

Splash

OK Team,

Here is the latest update..

Used only a multimeter (and no tong meter) today whilst out in the BIG BLUE...

Battery Voltage whilst engine not running - 13.1V.

Battery Voltage whilst engine IS running - 15.46V.

This increase in voltage I hope implies that my battery is being charge whilst motor is running...

Thoughts?

SPlash

Hi Splash
    Yes it is charging, but 15.46 is a little high for a regulated system if the readings are accurate

Splash

!5.46v is the voltage across the battery because this is the voltage coming from your alternator - seems a bit high but that might be for the breed of motor - and with the motor not running the 13.1v sounds good

"at 12.98 volts after 12 days, your battery is not only fully charged, it is holding it’s charge" is an indication that you have a good battery but for peace of mind take it to a battery dealer and get it tested. Ask the dealer if this high voltage will damage your battery also

I have a large spare good battery that, when not in the boat as a spare, goes bush with me in the ute as diesil powered utes are just as hard to push start as boats in the water. Both the boat battry and the spare get a charge every 2 weeks whether they need it or not

Thanks boys.

Hi Splash, mate I think there is something seriously wrong with your motor’s voltage regulator because you are getting too many different reading and a voltage of 15.46 will eventually cook just about every type of automotive ( marine ) battery made, with the exception of some high end AGMs.

Wet cell batteries can only tolerate this high voltage for a short period of time, around 30 minutes max before the battery boils itself dry and thus, destroys the battery.

The maximum voltage for both gel and most AGMs is just 14.4, voltages above this will permanently damage or totally destroy these types of batteries in a very short time.

Seriously Splash, it’s time to get your system check by a professional.

Why would he start now????
    northernblue
    ><)))))))*>

It is a far, far better thing to have fished and lost, than never to have fished at all.

Thanks guys.

Will do.

Splash