Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching Mullet?

Catching Mullet?

Hey everyone any tips on catching mullet there are heaps jumping out the front of my place they look at least 35cm. I have tried some bread on a little cork but no success anyone else got any other rigs?
    Cheers Nick
    Last edited by Mac_Attack; 30-01-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Re: Catching Mullet?

Try a cast net mate.....get them for ~$50 from bcf etc.

Frank, he can't, he lives in NSW and they are illegal down there unfortunately

I'd have thought the bread concept would give you some results.. what size hook ? try a very small size, say size 6 or smaller, short shank, no weight, suspended below a cork, and burley up a bit with other balls of bread, or pellets.

Do you want them for bait or food ?

Russell
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

I thought casting net but you know i am a welsh man.
    I just want them mostly for bait and the fun off catcing them jst something to do in the avo as i live right next to the water.
    Cheers Nick

Go to woolies and buy some home brand wheat germ, get about 2 cupfull of it and mix it with water in a bucket until its a thick paste, then flick it out into calm water, IE no use in a raging tide, this will have the mullet feeding and thick, then put out a very small hook with bread squeezed onto it under a small float, once around throw enough of wheat germ out to hold fish in area, also great for garfish.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Go to woolies and buy some home brand wheat germ, get about 2 cupfull of it and mix it with water in a bucket until its a thick paste, then flick it out into calm water, IE no use in a raging tide, this will have the mullet feeding and thick, then put out a very small hook with bread squeezed onto it under a small float, once around throw enough of wheat germ out to hold fish in area, also great for garfish.
    Thanks for that alleycat any particular time morning, midday, avo?
    Cheers Nick

You often have to be patient when chasing them. I catch them to eat and for crab bait when I want a quiet fish without too much effort involved. I paddle up the Pine River in a canoe or on a surf ski to a decent pool and then start to berley with small pieces of fresh white bread - they're like me - they don't like wholemeal. It sometimes takes half an hour or more to get a good bite going but once you have a crowd you can reduce the berley a bit so that you're bait gets all the attention. I use a small quill type float running free on the line with a stopper knot set at about 40cm above the hook. The hook is about a number 12, which is also suitable for garfish and luderick and the line should be no more than 2 - 4 kg. I use dough for bait, made up beforehand until it is quite stiff and elastic. I then freeze it and grab the tub whenever I decide to go. You can also squeeze some of the soft fresh bread into a little ball around the hook, but I find the dough stays on the hook a bit better. If the mullet don't take the bait readily move it about a metre and then wait - they will charge it as soon as it moves. Where I fish for them I also get a few bream, the odd bass (really - on dough!) and sometimes catfish and turtles. It's great fun on light gear and you have to take them slowly as they put up a good fight. Fresh from the water they are excellent eating. especially barbecued or smoked.
    Cheers Freeeedom

i use a float with reflectors on it and no bait....idea is that mullet are attracted to the reflection that the sun gives off from the float and they bite the float..
    your hook is just under the float and they hook themselves..
    we found this out from an old guy at Pottsville when we where down their on holidays...
    also the cast net at night time works a treat

G'day Freeeedom,
    Not bad effort for mullet, I wouldn't mind catching some of these. Where they a good size, which area did you come accross them? Peter

when i was younger my dad and uncle used to get a tick white elastic band sew the ends together to make a loop then tie a heap of small suicide hooks to some light line nout 3cm long then tie that to the elastic. grab a piece of bread mash it into a ball and put it in the elastic loop lob it out and same as whitingkiller said they'd hook themselves while trying to eat the bread. sometimes they'd pull in 2 or 3 30cm fish at a time! good luck!! let us no if you manage to get a few using any of the ways mentioned here!

Down in South Oz where I come from we used to catch mullet all the time on red meat or mince meat mixed with bread crumbs and curry(like a pudding bait).We used a two hook dropper rig with a berley sinker on the bottom whih we filled with bread or the same bait.We used the same bait under a float also.Weird heh!
    Mex

Quote Originally Posted by jayvee View Post
    when i was younger my dad and uncle used to get a tick white elastic band sew the ends together to make a loop then tie a heap of small suicide hooks to some light line nout 3cm long then tie that to the elastic. grab a piece of bread mash it into a ball and put it in the elastic loop lob it out and same as whitingkiller said they'd hook themselves while trying to eat the bread. sometimes they'd pull in 2 or 3 30cm fish at a time! good luck!! let us no if you manage to get a few using any of the ways mentioned here!
    Thanks so much for all your help guys.
    Don't worry i definately will let you know i am heading out tommorow morning and i will try all off the tips you guys suggested.

Mexikan its really weird hey i'll tell you how i go with that to.

Cheers Nick

G'day!

Get a small size herring jig and cut the flashers off each of the 6 hooks. Tie this to your mainline and fix a red and white spherical plastic float to the swivel. Squeeze very small pieces of white, homebrand sandwich bread around the hooks. Just enough to cover each entire hook.

Squeeze a couple of slices into a ball and mangle it a bit. Throw this out as berley. Fish the rig as close to the berley as possible. Strike when the float is pulled well under.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    G'day Freeeedom,
    Not bad effort for mullet, I wouldn't mind catching some of these. Where they a good size, which area did you come accross them? Peter
    Hi Peter
    You commonly get them in the 30 - 35cm range with the odd one pushing 40cm. I got these in the upper reaches of the Pine River, but you could get them in any river or creek I'm sure. They live up in the brackish water during summer and go to sea to migrate during winter. I've also caught them in the Brisbane River as far up as the base of Somerset Dam (where you can't fish any more). If you have access to a local creek, river or canal just watch for a while during a hot summer's day and you'll see them jumping - go get 'em. I've had a couple of shots at them this summer - kept 10 one day and six another (plus a couple of bream)
    Cheers Freeeedom

Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom View Post
    Hi Peter
    You commonly get them in the 30 - 35cm range with the odd one pushing 40cm. I got these in the upper reaches of the Pine River, but you could get them in any river or creek I'm sure. They live up in the brackish water during summer and go to sea to migrate during winter. I've also caught them in the Brisbane River as far up as the base of Somerset Dam (where you can't fish any more). If you have access to a local creek, river or canal just watch for a while during a hot summer's day and you'll see them jumping - go get 'em. I've had a couple of shots at them this summer - kept 10 one day and six another (plus a couple of bream)
    Cheers Freeeedom
    Hello John,

I managed to get the odd mullet at Pimpama but only when casting from the bridge, never used a rod as such, I tried to catch them recently with a small rod but not sure whether I need a size 12 hook with dough attached to surface float. I was thinking of using a quill type with say 30cm lead. I like bigger mullet, full of flavour. nice when smoked too. Peter