Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First trip to NZ only 2 weeks away....any tips

First trip to NZ only 2 weeks away....any tips

hey guys,

well its nearly upon me,
    my first trip to NZ, counting down the days and cant wait.

we are spending about 5 days on the north and 9 on the south just driving around with no real set plan. We want to see most of the sites but as a new convert to flyfishing I couldnt go there and not catch a trout!

Ive booked a guide on the north island so hopefully can get a fish or two early and then put it all into practice on the rest of the trip. Just wondered if anyone could give me some tips on where to stay, what to see and of course where to fish. Obviously not a whole itinerary but just a few things worth seeing or doing perhaps (Fishing included).

My partner will be spinning so places worth going for that are also appreciated. Keep in mind that im a begginer fly fisho. I can cast but wouldnt say im an expert. So places that are perhaps thick with fish rather than trophy waters holding 1 or two large fish are probably our best bet. I dont care how big they are but i dont want to come home without getting at least one.

Any tips much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben
    Cheers,

Ben

Re: First trip to NZ only 2 weeks away....any tips

Hi Ben,
    You will need a NZ license and if you fish the Taupo region it is a different license.
    When you get the license you usually get the fishing regulations. This will tell you where you can spin, many South Island and North Island streams are Fly only.
    When you get there the main holiday crowd will be back at work and hopefully the fish will not be so spooky. The big problem is the wind if you are only a modest caster and you get those winds off the mountains it can be a real challenge. So p[ractise asmuch as you can before you go.
    I have fished the South Island around the time you are going and the weather is usually good. At present they have had a fairly dry summer but they did get some rain last week, so lets hope they get some more. Long leaders are usually needed (15-20') especially if the rivers are low and clear. John Kents book is worth picking up.
    have a great trip.
    Best regards
    John
    John Coles Fly Fishing,Sydney

Hi Ben

you can't go to the Nth Island and not go to Rotorua. There are a swag of fantastic lakes all stocked with rainbows, some of which you can use spin tackle. For sheer beauty, my favourite is Okataina, about 15 mins out of town. Stay in a motel on Fenton St with a thermal spa bath - great to come home to after a cool evening fishing. If you want to see some huge rainbow, brown and brook trout, go to Rainbow Springs on the way in to Rotorua from the north.

Good luck

Al
    Last edited by lostandbroke; 26-01-2008 at 04:29 PM.

G'day Ben

If you are driving a car & crossing from North to South Is
    Do the drive from Picton to Blenheim ( Hwy1) ( Spring Ck is just before Blenheim) Have a fish at the river there Attachment 20382.... Its deep & slow flowing ( Park off the road ... on the left as you are about to cross the river ... next to the train line. walk under the bridge & follow the track ......( This is a fish & game access spot) the first fishable spot is about 100M down ....... Its a gem of spot , with some decent fish easily spotted .. but can be difficult - However worth spending an hour or two.

After that ... Follow the Wairau River through to St Arnaud (Hwy 63)- ( you can try fishing where the road bridge crosses the Wairau about 15km from St Arnaud ( some good fish sit just below the rapid) Attachment 20383
    St Arnaud was my base for 1 week ... Fishing many rivers incl Buller , Owen & D'Urville .... but thats a story on its own ( worth looking at Lake Rotoroa)
    Then continue through to Murchison ..... Take the Hwy 65 turnoff & drive through to Paenga following the Maruia river ( there is plenty of spots to fish ..... but the best was near a small bridge that crosses the river off to your right .... I think it was just north of Burnbrae ........ Heaps of fish sitting behind the eddies formed by the bridge pylons
    From here you can continue to Spring Junction (Hwy 7) & either turn left to go to Christchurch or right to go to Greymouth ( my choice)..... If you go Greymouth then you can go via Arthurs pass ( magnificent)Attachment 20385
    There is so much to see & do! .... Fish wise Attachment 20384( keep an eye out for Fish & Game access spots , They are signposted) ...... Keep in mind that water levels will be low , water clear ..... & the fish pressured { specially in easily accessed spots}
    Regardless you should have a good time ... but dont expect to catch heaps - though you will see a fair few & be frustrated by them )
    All the Best for what should be a magnificent trip!
    Nagg
    PS ..... See if you can find out what the latest is on the Didymo infestation .... Check out the Fish & Game website ( try to avoid affected rivers - South Is only)
    PPS .... The NZ fishing licence is a rip off ( you'll need to buy a 1 year licence ... which will set you back around NZ$100 each)
    Last edited by NAGG; 28-01-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Good luck going to my homeland. And yep, they will rip u off for the licence. Mite pay to check if ur taking your own gear cause i think oz mite impound it when u get back and bleach the hell out of it for a while because of NZ "rock snot"!
    PS...have a DB, Lion Red, Waikato, Steiny, JK for me....ummmmmmm, better make that a few of each!
    Enjoy it mate....i'm back there in March at Mt Maunganui on the east coast of the north island....hopefully some pelagics still about.
    Bring it on!
    ezza

I always end up at Taupo when I am over there, love the place to bits and there is some really good fishing both in the lake spinning and in the back country streams on the fly.
    Last time I was there, I got a guide for the day as I was still a very novice fly caster and he was able to teach me a lot and put me on to some really good fish too. My first rainbow landed went 5.5lbs in some pristine waters right up behind Mt Ruapehu in the Whakapapa River, whilst they were a little spooky, we did pull 3 fish from 1 pool and there wasn't anything under 3 lb in them either.
    I like fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ezza600 View Post
    Good luck going to my homeland. And yep, they will rip u off for the licence. Mite pay to check if ur taking your own gear cause i think oz mite impound it when u get back and bleach the hell out of it for a while because of NZ "rock snot"!
    PS...have a DB, Lion Red, Waikato, Steiny, JK for me....ummmmmmm, better make that a few of each!
    Enjoy it mate....i'm back there in March at Mt Maunganui on the east coast of the north island....hopefully some pelagics still about.
    Bring it on!
    ezza
    Ezza .... What was the brewery at Greymouth ?
    Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Deestingray View Post
    I always end up at Taupo when I am over there, love the place to bits and there is some really good fishing both in the lake spinning and in the back country streams on the fly.
    Last time I was there, I got a guide for the day as I was still a very novice fly caster and he was able to teach me a lot and put me on to some really good fish too. My first rainbow landed went 5.5lbs in some pristine waters right up behind Mt Ruapehu in the Whakapapa River, whilst they were a little spooky, we did pull 3 fish from 1 pool and there wasn't anything under 3 lb in them either.
    Gotta Love Taupo (Tongariro R) ........ never really fished the backcountry though but did have a look at the Whakapapa ( I think)!
    Nagg

thanks heaps for the info guys,
    hopefully il have a good report for you all in a couple of weeks with heaps of pics,
    Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Ezza .... What was the brewery at Greymouth ?
    Nagg
    Hey Nagg, only beers from down south i can remember (and yes, they were that good!) were Speights, and Wards. I try to get back there every year for a couple of weeks....come from Mt Maunganui. Where u from mate.
    ezza.

Quote Originally Posted by ezza600 View Post
    Hey Nagg, only beers from down south i can remember (and yes, they were that good!) were Speights, and Wards. I try to get back there every year for a couple of weeks....come from Mt Maunganui. Where u from mate.
    ezza.
    Ezza I'm in Sydney (born & bred)

Yeh there is a brewery down in Greymouth ( not a bad drop)

i'm going to have to plan another trip over ..... I was doing a couple every year (mostly trout) ..... but have fished Barrier Is as well

Cheers

Nagg

Good luck over there mate.Would love to fish NZ oneday fresh

Good luck over there mate.Would love to fish NZ oneday fresh and salt(big kings) but will have to wait until little ones get a tad bigger (late starter).
    Have a ball
    Cheers Reidy

Nagg, i think the brewery is called Monteiths. Bloody good beer. My favourite when i am over there especially the Monteiths original.
    Infact, NZ has many good beers, the problem is there that good i can never remember which one i liked the most!
    About the only good thing about Greymouth except the t5rain ride in from christchrch.
    Jewie

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Nagg, i think the brewery is called Monteiths. Bloody good beer. My favourite when i am over there especially the Monteiths original.
    Infact, NZ has many good beers, the problem is there that good i can never remember which one i liked the most!
    About the only good thing about Greymouth except the t5rain ride in from christchrch.
    Jewie
    Jewie .... I think you hit the nail on the head

Mate ...... I'd love to do that train trip through Arthurs Pass ...... with a case of Monteiths (Golden)
    Mind you .... the road trip south of Greymouth is pretty special too Attachment 21088
    Nagg
    Last edited by NAGG; 09-02-2008 at 05:56 PM.