Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First trip to NZ only 2 weeks away....any tips

Re: First trip to NZ only 2 weeks away....any tips

Train trip was bloody awesome mate, highly recomend it.
    Jewie

What Eva U do yellahunter make sure U wash your gear of real good cause we don't wont that rock stupid Rock snot getting into Australia

Enjoy

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Luke.M View Post
    What Eva U do yellahunter make sure U wash your gear of real good cause we don't wont that rock stupid Rock snot getting into Australia

Enjoy

Luke
    Luke ..... dont worry about it ( even though I did the bleach thing ..... & dried everything) ........... On my return Customs still took my boots / waders & fumigated them!
    They are not taking the risk
    Nagg

yella hunter i would be interested to hear how your trip went.

i was there (south island) from 16th feb to 1st mar and had a ball. we have a motor home there and im lucky enough to do a couple of trips a year - usually feb and nov.

this year i saw and caught very well conditioned fish which could have something to do with last years beech seed and subsequent mouse feeding frenzy. the fish i encountered were fat - well conditioned (as you would expect for that time or year) and surprisingly not terribly "gun shy". in one case i cast every nymph in the box to a spotted fish no bigger than a pound which was madly nymphing in the tale of a pool. After what felt like a thousand casts i landed him on a size 12 gold bead head - brown stone fly. i must have lined him a dozen times but he was so focused on the naturals (and in a 5 feet of water) that he didn't care/notice.

anyway it was the best trip i've done to date.

Nagg... i also had the same problem with customs (in brisbane) they took all mye gear including fly boxes and flys and imersed them in hot water for 45 minutes. they didn't charge for this service however kept me waiting while they did it and the parking fee at the airport was horrendous.

Jim
    Last edited by Jungle Jim; 26-11-2008 at 08:10 AM.

if you near/ in hamilton try "hamilton lake" thousands of redfin perch there. they go nuts over softplastics, when i was over there last got at least 60 of them over a week on tsunami softplastics( rainbowtrout colour) some real big ones aswell.