Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Sol

Broken Sol

I just respooled my Daiwa Sol 2000, and i was giving it a wipe over and i noticed a hairline crack in the triangle shaped chrome plate where the handle joins on, it starts where the bottom screw is and runs through to the edge of the crhome and then into the gold body of the reel, the whole crack is about 10-12mm long. I tried taking some pics but ya can't see it in the photo's. I have had this reel for a year and a half, it cost $295 back then. Anyway sh#t happens and it has a five year warranty, just wondering if anyone knows how it works, do i take it back to where i got it, and what kind of turn around is there?
    Marty.

Re: Broken Sol

G'day

Take it back, see what they have to say.

Dave

best to take it back to were you purchased it with a reciet or warrenty card details. Warranties are always against manufacturors faults only, you may have difficulty proving it is not from mistreatment in which case they may decide it is general ware and tare. Processing time will depend on the retailers relationship with daiwa

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    best to take it back to were you purchased it with a reciet or warrenty card details. Warranties are always against manufacturors faults only, you may have difficulty proving it is not from mistreatment in which case they may decide it is general ware and tare. Processing time will depend on the retailers relationship with daiwa
    Jeremy,
    Thanks for the reply and advice. The damage appears to me to be caused from the screw being overtightened, this must have happened during manufacture as i have never pulled it apart. Do you think the snapper in my avatar would count as mistreatment ???
    Marty.

yeah take it back to where you got it. the staff there should give you an idea anyway. daiwa are pretty good when it comes to warranty

Quote Originally Posted by marty+jojo View Post
    Jeremy,
    Thanks for the reply and advice. The damage appears to me to be caused from the screw being overtightened, this must have happened during manufacture as i have never pulled it apart. Do you think the snapper in my avatar would count as mistreatment ???
    Marty.
    Hell no thats what fishing tackle is for, catching fish. Yeh find a story and stick with it, if you give them a justifyable explanation straight up for being a manufacturors fault then you shouldn't have a problem. I think i have an idea of what broken by your discription and it should be ok. Again what happens will depend on how chummy the store is with daiwa, it could range from having to be sent away for assessment (which may take over a month) to simply ordering in the part which may take a couple of days.

The profit that diawa have on these is huge..they will replace a $60 (cost)SOL reel with ease..

dunno bout that!

By the sounds of it Marty i think they will get you a replacement part under warranty. The only thing with Daiwais they can be a bit slack with sending out parts. My last 3 parts i got from them took about a month each time.

Whytey
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

I took the reel back to The Allround Angler where i purchased it and the guy there said it should not be a problem, i saw him saturday morning and he said he should have an answer for me by Tuesday, he rang me Tuesday arvo and said no probs the parts are on the way and will take a week at the most, and it is all covered under waranty, and i did not have to leave the reel with him. All sounds good so far......
    Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by marty+jojo View Post
    I took the reel back to The Allround Angler where i purchased it and the guy there said it should not be a problem, i saw him saturday morning and he said he should have an answer for me by Tuesday, he rang me Tuesday arvo and said no probs the parts are on the way and will take a week at the most, and it is all covered under waranty, and i did not have to leave the reel with him. All sounds good so far......
    Marty.
    Good to hear its been sorted relatively painlessly, with such a minor (inexpensive) part it would have been disappointing to hear anything different.

Have you opened it up to check the inside of the reel? i would get the store to fit the part and at the same time check that it hasn't compromised the seal to the internals of the reel.

I've had an issue with laying braid on the spool, going on tapered giving a cone looking effect. Sent Daiwa an email yesterday, got an email back this morning ... new washers to go under spool in the post. Excellent service from Daiwa, they didn't even question if my reel was under warranty or ask me to take it to a shop. Good on ya Daiwa.

Ta
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattChew View Post
    I've had an issue with laying braid on the spool, going on tapered giving a cone looking effect. Sent Daiwa an email yesterday, got an email back this morning ... new washers to go under spool in the post. Excellent service from Daiwa, they didn't even question if my reel was under warranty or ask me to take it to a shop. Good on ya Daiwa.

Ta
    Matt
    How obvious is the taper? Mine does this too but i thought it was meant to.

When i noticed it i looked at the spare spool and it looked like the same angle.
    The spool is actually shaped that way.

Should the spooled line be perfectly cylindrical? or slightly tapered?

I cant even remember which way mine tapers.

mine taper too, more line at the top of the spool compared to the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by MattChew View Post

Ta
    Matt
    i have seen someone else report the same problem on this site once before, never experienced it myself though.
    Marty.