Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Sol

Re: Broken Sol

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stabin View Post
    mine taper too, more line at the top of the spool compared to the bottom
    They should be slightly reversed tapered as that is the ABS spool but with mine you can see the small raised line around the bottom of the spool and at the top the line is right to edge of the spool. I'll get a photo tonight ... and one after the washers go on.

Ta
    Matt

Hey capt. - Should i ask for 2 sets?

I thought that it was more at the top than the bottom but then thought how could i have thought that that would aid casting/unspooling line. duh

Mattchew - Cheers mate, keen to see if we've got the same issue.

When you say reverse tapered, is that wider at the top or bottom?
    Last edited by plaztix; 07-02-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Broken Sol

It was really good of Daiwa to send out the washes straight away like that, but I prefer the Shimano way of putting 4 extra washes in the box with the new reel so you can adjust the lay the way you like from the start .

Are these the washers in question.
    How, where?

Easiest way is put the reel and washers in a box and shake Violently and presto.Your done.

Quote Originally Posted by plaztix View Post
    Hey capt. - Should i ask for 2 sets?

I thought that it was more at the top than the bottom but then thought how could i have thought that that would aid casting/unspooling line. duh

Mattchew - Cheers mate, keen to see if we've got the same issue.

When you say reverse tapered, is that wider at the top or bottom?
    Wider at the Top ... not sure what the washers look like yet ... I think they sit under the bearing on the shaft .. don't quote me on that though ... waiting for an instructional email to follow.
    Ta
    Matt

The line lay problem must be common fault, I have notice my 3000 sol lays more line at the top of the spool aswell.

Cheers Chris

I seem to recall hearing about this and that it is only a problem with braid for some reason.

I will post some pics of my spools tomorrow to compare.

By placing more washes under the spool it raises the spool to give more even lay, as you add more it does the opposite by putting more line to the bottom of the spool, which is a definite 'no no' with braid .
    Last edited by GPB; 07-02-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Here's my 2000 spool with 12lb XDS .... 6lb Crystal looks the same too.

Put the washes on top of No 10

Thanks GPB, I'll let you know how I go in the coming days ... how many washers do you think to start off with? .. I'm thinking 2 and see what happens.

Ta
    Matt

The Shimano washers are very thin for fine tuning, but saying that 2 extra washes on a Stella 10000 had me undoing airknots/ tangles on 1 out of 4 casts , once I took the washes off and respooled the problem disappeared .
    Last edited by GPB; 07-02-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Been quite a few posts on this issue and the washer is the solution someone on here replaced it themselves withpout daiwa help cost him $1 a good search should find the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stabin View Post
    Are these the washers in question.
    How, where?
    They are the washers in question ... not sure if they were originally in the box or not but they look the same as the one is under there already.

johnlikes2fish Thanks, i found a few posts relating to this issue and looks easy enough to slip the washer over the bearing, just want to double check I'm doing the right thing. I'm sure there are plenty of Sol's out there with too much line taper or not enough so hopefully this will aid people in resolving their problems.

Ta
    Matt