Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another awoonga thread

Another awoonga thread

Hey yall yeh sorry another awoonga thread. I would have carried on from another thread cept they were both a bit off topic. I'm not after advice (though if anyone has any hot tips pm me) just wondering what the story is in regards to the lack of reports. I'm heading up on the 12th-15th of feb and doing the normal search through reports noticed that there is sh!t all. So for the guys who are there regularly whats the story? Has the fishing been bad? Have the numbers not been there this year? The few reports that have been there have all reported good catches. I've noticed at work that there was a definately decline in the number of blokes wanting to get set up for awoonga, so either everyone is shopping somewhere else or it's just not as popular as before.

Cheers
    Jeremy

Re: Another awoonga thread

Jeremy
    There is nothing wrong with the fishing, it is producing fish every day.
    I cant speak for the others, but I personally dont have time to post every trip, because its usually 3-4 trips a week.

My advice to you is that if you want to know what is happening turn off the computer and come up and see for yourself, afterall you cant catch caught fish.

The fish cannot escape, they eat every day and there are no tides, so that eliminates much of the unknown.
    Bad weather is only an excuse, if your good enough on the day you will catch them.

You may also see that less posts on how well the place is fishing = less people up here fishing = more fish for the people who are up here fishing.

Monduran is the new craze, maybe they are all down there. I hear its fishing well!!
    Cheers
    Jas

I agree with Jas, Monduran has been the flavour of the year, Like awoonga was last few years and Faust before that, way back to Tinaroo when it was the 'hot' dam. The fish are still there in all dams. Theo still gets heaps at Tinaroo, the Taylor boys still get heaps at faust, Jas, trev, scott and the boys still get heaps at Awoonga.

More fishermen = more posts about catches= more people going there= more fish caught= more posts. Its a spiral effect, thats the only difference between Monduran and Awoonga ATM, IMHO.

I beleive the average fish caught per person per session would still be the same between ALL of the dams. Get up to Awoonga and get into them. Its a great fishery and will always be.

My average at Awoonga is still way better than Monduran.

cheers steve

Jeremy,

I think the reason for not that many reports on Awoonga and Monduran is because of the rain and floods which a lot of people have been affected by. Also a lot of anglers think that we have had a lot of rain up here which is not true. Both lakes have been fishing well over the past week or so and hardly any boats on the water, The locals have been having a ball with no crowds.

Cheers Foxie

was up there at chrissy and had a ball, will be there this weekend again looking foeward to it.all the dams do seem to be the flavour of the month at one time or another,it is good for you men up at awoonga that monduran is firing as all the hords from brissy find it easier to get to there as its 3 and half hours closer aND WITH 1500 PEOPLE MOVING INTO SEQ each week it is only going to get busier.

Jas I'm on my way, but between work, uni and other lesser commitments i find it difficult to make the 13 hour return trip 3-4times a week. So i'll just have to stick with the 4-5 barra trips a year and relly on forums like this to fill in some of the blanks.

It's interesting to see all the cycles take place. It makes you realise just how media dependant sportsfishing really is when it comes to things like tackle, locations, techniques etc. Similarly you don't here so much about weipa as you used to.

Anyway thanks to the guys who have been posting reports, even though you may not get a response from everyone who reads it you can be sure that the people who do appreciate the effort.

gee i dont think i would post my local spot up regular for everyone to see.never be able to fish with out being buzzed by all the tourists
    the best way to find out how a place is fishing is go fishing
    I apreciate the reports but too bad if theres not regular ones find out yourselve
    purcho

Quote Originally Posted by two fold View Post
    gee i dont think i would post my local spot up regular for everyone to see.never be able to fish with out being buzzed by all the tourists
    I apreciate the reports but too bad if theres not regular ones find out yourselve
    purcho
    I can fully appreciate peoples concerns for censorship of their regular spots. But for somewhere as well known as awoonga i don't really see any logic behind it. It's not like I’m asking for gps coord's, i was just wondering why the reports were fewer in comparison to this time last year. I have gained enough knowledge from previous trips to awoonga to have an adequate enough grasp of techniques and locations to land fish on my own accord. The idea of this forum is an exchange of ideas and information for everyone’s mutual benefit. I feel i contribute a reasonable amount of useful information to this forum, and while it may not benefit the people I’m directly posing a question to it may benefit someone else who in turn may post information that may benefit other members etc. While you can't expect people to answer every question you definitely don't expect to be jumped on for putting it out there. If you want to be secretive and with hold simple details like boat numbers and still have access to the bounty of information on this forum then I think its pretty hypocritical to criticise someone else who does.

Again thank you to all those who gave me a simple no nonsense response.

Jeremy

i didnt see anyone jump on you but i did see attitude from you because no one is reporting awonga.
    you say you know how to catch them so go and catch them and then report on it.
    I cant see why you can point the finger at awonga guys or recent trips from other people who have reported as matrix said not evryone has as much time as you do.
    if you look through the threads you will see guys like awoonga matrix and a fewregulars that help in all other areas of fishing not just reports so get over it i reckon, they cant do everything.
    look forward to your report when you get back
    purcho

I am over it, i was never asking for people to write reports for me. I was just wondering why people think not as many people are fishing there. Enough said. Steve, Foxie, Warrior and Jas have all answered my question. Cheers guys

Two fold, have you ever had to travel a long way to catch fish and wished someone local would give you 'honest' advice? I have and appreciate it too.

I am rather lucky to be so close to a great barra impoundment. I feel secure enough to give away my 'secrets' to help others, in the hope that one day someone will do the same for me when I travel. After all they still have to catch the fish. The awoonga guys are the same too, always helpful with advice.

Jeremy wasn't asking for someone to hold his hand. He is a capable fisherman who was looking for a reason why there are less reports than last year. When you have to travel that far to fish, this BASIC info could be vital.

Go hard jeremy hope you get them, Im sure the Awoonga guys WILL give you a few tips. If you need any for monduran ask one of the thousand "buzzing tourists" that are in my secret spots ATM.

who shares wins, and what goes around comes around, Its a karma thing.

Steve

Im with Steve,
    I live in Sydney and am heading to both Awoonga and Monduran in March - April, Put a post on here a while ago in regards to any advice people could give me, its a long way to travel running blind, got some great info from all the locals especially Trevor, I was amazed by the response and i will be posting again hoping for more advice as the trip gets closer.
    Hope you get into them at Awoonga Jeremy and you may be able to pass on some knowledge to me.
    Cheers
    Knuckle

Information is everything in todays world.
    Doing homework will always help you on fishing trips, and these forums are a good place to find info.
    I too like to help others, its why I write articles and do other media stuff.
    It isnt for the money, thats for sure, because there is none.
    Im also finding I am having less and less time for these chatboards, but others have plenty.

One of the problem with fishing websites is that you often find the same questions asked over and over again, because most find it easier to ask a question, rather than look through recent history.
    That is a generalisation and not directed at anyone.

I personally dont write reports any more because of this, and time constraints between work, family, fishing and research chew up any that I have.
    The less I spend on these dam computers the better, because it means I am either fishing or with the kids.

Theres always something floating around about the impoundments, and how they are fishing, and quite often the lack of reports are the opposite to what you think. In other words they are going off!

Two fold, I have to agree with the others that posted here mate, it was only a question asked.
    Cheers
    Jas

Quote Originally Posted by two fold View Post
    purcho
    That's a bit of a hard nosed reply ..... You mustn't travel to new destinations that often .
    Jeremy's question was a fair one ..... IMO

Actually what has happened to the reports on Wuruma
    Nagg
    Last edited by NAGG; 27-01-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Nagg. 1% hey, now thats a sad story isn't it.

Jas I don't think there is a single barra angler on this forum who hasn't learnt something from your comments. No ones obliged to write anything so what ever your happy to write we're happy to read.

Steve we nearly booked into morduran for another fish, we were actually going to go up to baffle creek but with all the rain it got we decided to call it safe and give the impoundments another shot. After reading your post about the number of boats on Australia day i'm happy with choosing awoonga this time.

I'll be writing up a report when i get back (don't hold your breathe guys it's still a while away yet). I better bloody get something now after talking up my fish catching abilities .