Thread: Garfish Rigs

Garfish Rigs

Hi All,
    I am from NSW and I beleive that most people on this site are from QLD, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for rigs, bait etc when fishing for garfish down here (if there is a difference).
    Have never really tarheted them before but i thought i would be a bit of fun.

Cheers

Re: Garfish Rigs

perhaps i should put this in the saltwater section

G'day danthefisho, I fish mostly freshwater, but the dam I fish has a huge snub nosed gar population....(good bass food) My little boy loves catching them. I've set him up with a red and white pencil float with about a metre of line underneath with a very small sized long shank hook. Bait used is small pieces of peeled prawn and the burley ( very important ) is bread crumbs with a few squirts of fish oil in it.
    Grab a handful of burley wet it carefully to add some weight otherwise it's like trying to throw baby powder into the wind. Drop your rig into the trail and have fun.
    You can actually buy garfish rigs at most tackle shops...eezy peezy.

I used to fish for gar in Lake Cootharaba and have done in Wivenho years ago.
    I have a couple of floats rigged up all the time.
    I have them at about 2.5m total length. I have a swivel at the top and a small hook at the other end. I use split shots for weight and just judge the flow when I get to the spot I am fishing. Between the float and the swivel I have a small wooden macrame bead with a piece of dental floss tied to the line either side of the bead, this allows the bead to be slid up or down the line to give differing depths. This helps get the bait past any pesty fish. You can make the overall rig as long as you want though but this is just what I used as the water I fished in wasn't too deep.

I can take pic if you need

Hi mate,
    Used to catch many gar as livies when livebaiting from the rocks.
    One of the most effective rigs is to have a small swivel at the top with two droppers and a small long shank hook coming off each dropper.Put your float on the bottom of the rig rather than up the top.
    By having the small float on the bottom of the rig the two hooks and bait float on the surface and look natural.
    If you put it on top the baits and hooks are under the surface which isnt as effective especially if you are burleying with bread and the bread is on the surface.

P.S any more than two hooks is asking for trouble as the gar are like snakes and tangle the rig easier if you get more than two on.

Pete

cheers guys,
    im going to give that all a go
    from what ive heard there is a large population of river gars in the hawkesbury river and im going to check it out on the australia day long weekend

no need for the pic 4x4frog i think it makes sense haha

daniel

oh and nice catch by the little man too