Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gear direct from japan

Re: gear direct from japan

im with you mad max. i reckon support your local guy. one day all the little shops will be gone due to the bcfs ebay and overseas sites. all we will have one day is bcf to deal with i couldnt live with myself id stop fishin.

yeah or japs runnning every tackle store in the country...

show some pride ausssies stand up and support ya locals especially this weekend haha !!!!!

and yeah i agree with the saving 200 bucks or something i would go to bcf over my local, but i also remember that my local has probably had it good for 10-15yrs before bcf was around, so thats life, i buy my food from woolies, not the farmers markets, fuel from BP or mobil...not the local matilda...

its just a way of life

There's a fair few aussie fishos who work & reside overseas for various amounts of time so when sussing out tackle they tend to try out international suppliers.
    That's how I started using them. When back in Oz the first thing I do is shoot down to the local tackle shop to check things out and more often than not, I spend a few bucks. Apart from some Japan & US sites I've also ordered gear online from Campbells ProTackle (Oz) and the tackleworld place at Coolangatta/Tweedheads. In other words, a mixture of suppliers depending on what is wanted, the range available, the price...and where you are at the time.
    Example: Try to get a brand new Shimano Calcutta TE Conquest 300 in an Aussie tackle shop for under $400 delivered (its a hard ask, but possible from o/s)
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

on 1st look it seems new on ebay usa is cheaper then tackle shops japan ?

Hi Wayneoro,

When buying anything from the USA it always important to find out the cost of shipping.
    Something like a reel, can usually be shipped for about $20US. But It can vary quite a bit. Always check before placing an order.
    Im a bit like most people,I dont want to pay a cent more than I have to,especially these days when money does go far

Its good to see some patriots out there supporting the local guy. Unfortuneatly Im not one of them.
    If I can save $50 or $100 I have no hesitation about buying overseas.

Cheers Steve99

buy aussi yes yes but not if the aussi system is decades behind the product comes out of the factory same price for everyone but turns up here much dearer then other countryies why greed or incompetence ? here is my example 20yrs ago i had a book shop a new release book would take 1-2 yrs to hit the shelves in nz after making enquiries in the usa i was able to have that new release days after its release in the states at half the price it would be 1-2 yrs later via the nz wholesalers

aussies, are not decades away. we just dont get what they want to keep for themselves. japanese make stuff as their to perfection, that is the way they are brought up, to just give it away, thats not going to happen, thats why we get what we get. to those who want perfection, find/buy all the jap gear you can on the net. then sell it so some of us can enjoy it to. by the way i really wanted ito aphlas just could not get it new. cheers sid

Steve99, are you able to do all your reel research on the Internet or do you call into a local shop to check them out?

Hi GPB,

Im not sure if thats a loaded question your asking!!!

Obviously, If I physically have to see something I have to Check it out locally.
    But generally,I know what Im after so I dont bother.
    I did try on some hiking boots once just to check the size and then went and bought them from the USA. Over hear those boats sold for $219,I bought them for $35US plus $35 airfreight, total $70 US approx $90AUD .They were hear in a week.
    Since then I think Ive bought 3 more pairs.
    Ive been buying stuff from the states for more than ten years and never had a problem. I find most places I buy from very professional and friendly.
    Unlike most people I place the order over the phone rather than online.
    But it probably makes no difference. Its just a personal thing.

Cheers Steve99

Ok, lets cut to the chase and give an example.

Daiwa Zillion ex baspr0 in US of A AUD$375.00 delivered
    Daiwa Zillion Ex M0tackle AUD$459.00 delivered

Someone is making big $$$$ profit, personally I dont care but if I decide to buy one it will come from th US the extra 64dollars nestles so much nicer in my pocket than someone elses.

I have heard it said, when I worked for a tackle manufacturer that we in Aust only get what cant be sold or wont sell in the US. Look at the figures there is 295million people in the US and if 5% of them fish that almost 20million fishermen. Thats almost the population of Australia. Do the sums and work out why we are the poor cousins to the rest of the world.

Hi Longshot,

You are right on the money with those Diawa Zillion prices.
    Most places in the states alway advertise the recommended retail prices and thats basically what we pay because where not physically thier to haggle.
    However,big savings can be made on freight. Some companies charge a ridiculous amount for air freight,while others only charge what it costs them.
    In reality, you could probably save an additional $50 by shopping around and buying from a small online operater,instead of a megastore.
    In the end, everyone wants to save a few dollars. Its just that some of us will pay more than others.

Chers Steve99

I used a Luer once about 35 years ago and it was a rubber prawn. It was a bit of a novelty back then.

To save money and still buy Australian and still catch fish like anyone else I stick to Alvey reels, squid or chooks guts for bait. what else is there?

Someone really should be looking at our importers. From comments made by people involved in the Aus retail side it would seem that stores are only making marginal profits in large ticket items. The importers are bringing containers of product into the country and then I can airfreight a single downrigger and bomb to my house for 1/2 the price of the Aussie stores. Go figure who is ripping us off and target them then the small guy may have a fighting chance of competing.

Cheers

Neil
    Last edited by Horse; 27-01-2008 at 07:18 PM.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Someone really should be looking at our importers. From comments made by people involved in the Aus retail side it would seem that stores are only making marginal profits in large ticket items. The importers are bringing containers of product into the country and tet I can airfreight a single downrigger and bomb to my house for 1/2 the price of the Aussie stores. Go figure who is ripping us off and target them then the small guy may have a fighting chance of competing.

Cheers

Neil

Spot on Neil. these reels come out of Japan, and we are no further from Japan than the US, freight should be the same or less. Why then does it cost so much more to buy it in Aust than the US or in other countries like Singapore or Malaysia.
    Look to the importer.

If the tackle shops are supposedly making such small margins why are reels so expensive here. I worked all my life to make a quid or two and now I will buy from where ever is cheaper.