Thread: Baitcasters

Baitcasters

Hi All
    New to Baitcasters.With spinning reels I cast right handed and then swap to the left hand,cranking with the right hand when retrieving.A little unorthodox but that's my style.If buying a baitcaster what hand should I buy?
    Sounds like a really dumb question but I have never used one before.Thinking of Daiwa Alphas or Tierra as will only be using for bream and bass.
    Your help would be much appreciated.
    Chicka
    CHICKA

Re: Baitcasters

Thats how 90% of people I know cast Chicka, same for BC.

GT

Hi Squizzy
    So should I buy a RightHand Baitcaster?or Left?
    CHICKA

most people would buy a right handed bait caster for a right handed person.

I'm new to bait casters & the learning curve is steep

It starts when you buy a rod & reel

You realy have to match the rod & reel with the weight of bait you are going to chuck or it all gets too hard.

If the rod is too heavy you wont be able to throw lighter baits very well & if the rod is too light there arecworse problems.

also dont expect to throw the realy light baits you can with an egg beater or a side cast.

My heavier rod I cant throw less that 10 grams reliably at all...... the lighter rod the limit os about 5 grams.

I would say if you are learning dont spend too much on the first spool of line, because you are going to give it a hard time & cut a few tangles out too.

start with horisontal forehand casts with plenty of weight.... or you will give up pretty quick..........I hope you have a big back yard or a park near by.
    you;ll need a few hours practice befor you fish it... cheers

Hey Chicka, I fish the same way, grab yourself a right handed baitcaster. Works for me.

Cast with my right and wind with the left ... always have done since I was seven.
    Ta
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Chicka View Post
    Hi All
    Thinking of Daiwa Alphas or Tierra as will only be using for bream and bass
    Big different between a Tierra & Alphas mate..

I would go with the Alphas 103 if you are going to use it on Bream even tho it wouldn't be able to throw small bream lures just because it is sooo much smoother & nicer to use. I own 2 so it's coming from experience with using the reel..

Go with a right hand reel if you do the right to left switch with the rod..
    Last edited by TheSaint; 22-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Not so strange, that's exactly how I use a rod, cast and wind with right hand, I can cast with my left, but its none to accurate. When starting out you will need plenty of brake on the new baitcaster to help with the overruns. For some reason I can cast better with a poorer quality baitcaster of over head, than I can with the high end models, others are the opposite, so get something that will best suit your needs. I would probably go with a cheaper reel at first, just because of the fact, if you can't get the hang of it and gets the shits, you won't mind chucking a $100 reel in the pile rather than a $600+ reel.