Thread: Newbie wetting a line

Newbie wetting a line

G/day! After living in Australia for nearly a year (I am of Dutch heritage, age 25) and having caught the odd fish I decided fishing is what I like to do best in my free time and I want to get better at it. I don't know many local fisherman yet apart from my best mate, who is an Aussie, so Ausfish has always been helpful in providing me with information on how to catch fish and how to fillet and cook them. In Dutch waters there is not nearly as much action as here in Australia. I have been fishing for garfish in the canals of Moreton Bay, bream, flathead, rock cod, and I have been hooking pike eel, shovelnoses, grinners and stingrays too often which is very annoying! I also have been attempting to catch muddies but everytime I seem to be catching a legal size crab it's a female! I love crawling through the muddy flats of the bay to set my traps since I don't have a boat yet.

I am here to gain more knowledge on how to fish in different situations and environments and to meet the people with local knowledge who can give me some good tips on how and where. My wife and I will be traveling the country with our campervan and trailer starting in a few months and so we aim to visit many great fishing spots all over Australia.

Happy fishing

Bloody Grinner

Re: Newbie wetting a line

Welcome to the site BG. I take my hat off to you for crawling along the banks for a feed of muddies. If you take the time to search the boards, you'll learn a lot.

You've picked the right site mate.. Theres plenty of helpful people and info on here!

You'll be surprised how much you will learn..

Cheers barra

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Welcome to the site BG. I take my hat off to you for crawling along the banks for a feed of muddies. If you take the time to search the boards, you'll learn a lot.
    Thanks, Wags. Just this afternoon I put my traps out at low tide and I found a few couples (legal size) mating just out of their burrow. I broke off a mangrove branch to try and catch one but they were so quick and shooted down their burrow in a split second.

I wish I knew how to catch them like that. Maybe with a hook or a gaff or someting??