View Poll Results: Limit For Taking Bream?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, There Should Be a LLimit

124 87.32%
  • No, Thats a ridiculous idea

14 9.86%
  • undecided or do not care

4 2.82%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bream: make a limit OR continue the same

Bream: make a limit OR continue the same

hi i am just wondering what people do with there bream personally i prefer to catch and release without harm and it saddens me when i see kills of sometimes over 20 fish. i believe they should make a taking limit of no more than 5 bream per day that would be enough than taking all the bream in one area and leaving none for the future for fellow fisherman/fisherwoman.

regards,
    keechie

Re: Bream: make a limit OR continue the same

i personally dont keep brim beacuse i dont really like them but all i do catch i let go, but i voted no because brim are just so prolific,but now i have thought about it some more i would take that vote back becase 20 brim is so much and brim are one of the slowest growing fish in the sea,
    Anyways have a good day,
    cheers
    jamie

20 / day is over the top IMHO for Bream regardless of how prolific they are !!!!
    Limit them to 5 / day & increase the size limit to 30cm min

Nagg

5 bream a day..you cannot possibly be serious..the buggers are prolific. If you limit bream to 5 a day then perhaps snapper at 1 a day..mackerel at 1 a week...about 25 to 30 would be a sufficient bag limit for bream.
    Last edited by PinHead; 18-01-2008 at 05:29 PM.

There's a lot of bream about. Personally, I don't see a problem with a 20 a day bag limit.

I don't ever take 'em home myself.

I'd definitely like to see the size limit increased and a bag limit introduced, but neither of these mean a bloody thing if they don't actually enforce the laws. Doing that would make a bigger difference.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

20 a day / person is a lot of fish ....... & under 30cm I reckon it is a pain in the bum to clean & to eat
    If I was going out fishing & I took home 5 decent bream for a feed ... I'd be more than happy In addition what about the other species that you catch ( flatties , whiting etc)
    & since they are so prolific ..... you can come back the next day to catch & kill 5 more Nagg

How the hell are you ment to feed the family with 5 bream? Bream are abundant, easy to catch and an important iconic species for the average jo citizen. also take in to consideration the impact that the catch and release fisherman personally make before passing judgement on the average catch and keep fisherman. I'm refering to the roughly 10% of fish which will inevitably die as a result of being caught and released

Take 2 examples
    1. The once in a while meato fisherman who intends to take a large quantity of bream, fishes 4-5 times a year and on average keeps 20 bream per trip.
    2. Regular catch and release fisherman fishes at least once a week landing 20 bream on average each trip who returns all the fish to the water. A pretty reasonable figure considering some of the keen bream anglers on this sight (some probably landing more fish).
    Example 1 is the person being criticised by example 2. and yet considering the 10% mortality rate expected on caught and released fish they probably have the same impact on a yearly time frame while infact the meato actually utilises the fish they have killed.

I think a bigger concern would be a weekly meato angler who takes home feeds of over 100 big breeding fish during the spawning season.

Bring in a bag limit of 20-30 to reduce the impact of the breeding season meato fisherman and raise the minimum size to 25cm as to give them an extra season to breed before making them keepable. While i personally wouldn't bother with a bream under 30cm for the pan i do not begrudge anyone who would and it may also have repercussions for tournerment anglers having difficulty making a bag may also emerge if the size is lifted to 30cm.

Lost me! How many fresh bream can you eat? if you run out of fresh fish @ 5 per person per day go and have a day with the kids/grandkids and catch more.
    I was involved with a fishing club some years ago when the huts were at cape moreton, 12 blokes caught 236 bream from the rocks at North Point, consumed too much alcohol as we all do at times, left the fish in a buckets in middle of summer at the camp site and the pelicans and seagulls ate well next day. Damm shame!Jeremy 87 is concerned about the 90% of the fish that live? pretty good stats for catch and release!
    If you want to catch 20 fish per person only eat 5/6 fresh ones and freeze the rest, why don't you go and by snap frozen fish? They would be in better nick then the ones you have frozen at home after raping and pillaging, its people with the attitude of catching as many as you can or 20 per person is the same reason the EPA want to bring in Green Zones

I just don't understand blokes trying to catch as many fish as they can then leaving them in the freezer for a year or three then throwing them out!

and if you are catching 20 bream per day per person you are going to stop catching the bigger bream and start catching the juvenile stock....Madness
    We need to have sensible bag limits to let our future generations have a fish rather than sitting in front of the TV playing Nintendo Fishing.
    Barker Transport Logistic Services
    Transport Solutions for Every Job

For a fantastic adventure: www.mvwaiben.com

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/Waiben/

raping and pillaging brew guru

if 20 bream at 27-30 isnt enough for one person what chance the long term

Hey guys
    This is a really good one. Everybody's opinion carries some weight. The way I look at it though is that in certain areas bream are certainly abundant. When not out in the tinnie I used to enjoy wading the foreshores of Wynnum just casually floating an unweighted bait waiting for an unsuspecting bream or whiting or 3. Even up to 3 years ago it was not unusual to catch up to 100 fish in a session between 2 of us (all released except a couple for the table of course). Nowadays however you can stand up to your gills in exactly the same spots and not raise a scale for most of the year. I would expect this to be the same for a lot of your 'local family' areas. Whilst there are other issues re. environment and pollution etc I wouldn't disagree that an increase in size limit wouldn't go astray. Look at what is has done to the squire scenario in and around our brisse river and environs. Just a thought.

Shane

aaahhh OK...

I fish hard for bream in the surf 2 or 3 times a year. I'll catch around 20 or 30 in a session. None go to waste and my min size is 27cm. Bream freeze well. However! Anyone who says you cant get anything off a smaller bream (I used to keep them but don't now) doesn't have little kids, who think a couple of fillets of bream and a couple of oven fried chips go all right.

If you think the bream population is in trouble then you probably better turn your talents to a different sport.

Hey Brew Guru. What were the 12 of you gunna do with 240 bream ? You say its the people who go out and catch as many as they can ,but it looks to me thats exactly what the 12 of you were doing. What a waste. I believe 12 @ 27cm per person is good.PS Brew Guru you dont understand people who catch as many as they can then throw them in the freezer. i dont understand you and your mates who obviously caught as many as you could then leave them in a bucket to spoil then feed em to the pelicans. Then all you say is dam shame.
    Last edited by Jimbo73; 18-01-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    How the hell are you ment to feed the family with 5 bream? Bream are abundant, easy to catch and an important iconic species for the average jo citizen. also take in to consideration the impact that the catch and release fisherman personally make before passing judgement on the average catch and keep fisherman. I'm refering to the roughly 10% of fish which will inevitably die as a result of being caught and released
    Jeremy ....... How long do you want to feed the family for ..... keep in mind that many people fish with their partners & or kids ( 5 bream each)
    Just because bream are abundant ...now... how long will that last? & with more people fishing , they will become less abundant! ...... Also in Qld how abundant are the 30cm+ fish ????

Now I'm goin out on a limb here ..... but I reckon most of the catch & release fishoes are lure & SP tossers ...... & because of the nature of the hook up (lip) .... I'd dare say that the survival rate would be even much better than the 90% ......
    So the mortality rate shouldn't even be an issue ..... Where as 20 fish taken per person per day are all dead bream
    Nagg
    PS .... been there , done that ..... fed the cat!

I think 5 at over 25cm to fork or 27cm to tip should be the limit..