Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oversized fishtank

Re: Oversized fishtank

Jeremy pools looking good mate you have some good ideas with the kids sand pits acting as breeding ponds. thats the way to go also i reckon it be worth geting a pair of breeding crays and when the female lays and the young spawn you will have about 50-100 crayfish to add to your pool.

Good luck with finding a tarpon ive been looking for ages for one for my tank with not much luck it seems they arnet breed largely and can become a bit $$$ but it would be a great addition to your pool.
    "True Blue"

I like the crayfish idea though i might have to set up something other than the clams to contain them as they like to go walk about.

I have and know of a few spots withing 40 minutes of my house that hold tarpon from time to time, i've even caught them in tinny creek which would be ideal. Pools got about 25 000l in it now and i can't put much more in until i have some more rain that puts some water back into the tanks so tomorrow i'll put some lillypads in and put in about 3.5kgs of mineral salt and then some time this week i'll go convert some bream and poddy mullet, it all seems to be moving along nicley, can't wait to have a bunch a decent fish swimming around just past my back veranda.

Added in a 4kg bag of mineral salt today and added in 4 lilly pads, the ones that push up the move flowers.

1st proper recruit for the pool, i caught this nice little 45cm lizard yesterday in about 80% fresh. I converted it over in about an hour and seems to have settled in nicely sitting on the drop off into the deeper end of the pool just behind the lilly pads.

nice flatty , if you didnt fill the pool you could have painted it black to help warm the water a bit through the day in winter . the crays should be alright in the shell pool as long as you dont have any hose's or any thing sticking out of it for them to climb out on , or you could put some acrylic over the top i have a bit laying around here if you want it let me know and its yours .

So are you worried about a back yard full of shags and pelicans lol .

When i was younger i had 2 talapia in my tank with my manigunese and i did not know what they were , i found out what they were at the ekka when my missus yeld out accross the dpi stand to me "HEY THESE ARE THE FISH WE HAVE IN OUR TANK" , yeah.... i dont think she noticed the sign saying $10000 fine per fish in possesion , so when i got home i got the hand line out and caught them out of the tank and got rid of them .

Have you thought about putting murry cod in there they would look good and you can get them from the pet shop and they should also be alright in winter .
    Anyway mate looking good and keep them pics coming .

Nico.

Yeh mate the idea is to put fish in big enough to withstand a shag attack, last time we did have a resident fish murderer but it was only an issue when we had no cover and the water was mega clear.

I'm a bit worried about some of the fish i've picked up but i know they are not the mozambique tilapia. They are I'm hoping they are spangled perch but they may be banded grunter or an aquarium fish that someone has let into the waterway but it is very difficult to identify what they are when the are only 35mm long. anyway the flathead is mopping up heaps of the feeder fish so they'll all be gone shortly whatever they are and i can put a fresh stock of mullet etc in there.

How cool are the murray cod, there are some 35ish cm specimens at pet super store but they're like 135 bucks ouch. I might get a smaller one and rear it up in a tank.

at boondal fish shop they used to have them about 10cm for about 10 bucks each , but it sound like a good idea to let them get bigger first as 10 buck each for feeders is a bit harsh if they get eaten . Have you thought of getting a pool cover (like the ones used to save water) , it might help to keep the birds away until the fish get bigger . Good to see the flathead is doing ok .

buy a few rubber snakes and place them around the pool, that should keep the birds away. My mum uses it to keep ducks from cra ing on her pool edge.

Jeremy, I'm surprised that you haven't picked up on my freebie in the for sale section. I've got heaps of elodea here, and azolla if you want some. I can also put you onto (nearby) some water plant that grows like vallis in winter (submerged) and then comes up broad leafed like plantain in summer. Also, if you're staying fresh, and when your water matures, some goldfish. I'm Northside though.

Fine, 4 to 6lb mono staked round the pool will deter the herons...........they hate the feel of it on their legs and take off as soon as they touch it.

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 28-01-2008 at 12:53 PM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

I haven't been looking in the for sales section mate so i didn't see i'll send you a pm.

ok this is the unknown fish i was talking about, this guy is about 35mm long but they are growing rapidly, as you can see buy its gut they are well fed. markings that you can't see are a small black dot on the posterior region of the dorsal fin. Very agressive feeder, they have been attacking the baby frogs and just about any fish or shrimp smaller than them. I'm hoping they are spangled perch and am about 99% certain that they are not mozambique tilapia (though they are found in the place i caught them from).

Just flicking through grants it looks very much like a banded grunter, which means that some d!ckhead has illegally introduced them into a waterway.

Jeremy, the pic is showing a fish with a protruding lower jaw and a convex tail. That is indicative of a juvenile yellowbelly.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

It does not look like a spangled perch to me, nothing like it.
    Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by marty+jojo View Post
    It does not look like a spangled perch to me, nothing like it.
    Marty.
    yeah, the only fish I know of with both a convex tail and a protruding lower jaw, is the Golden perch. OTOH, this illustration is of a juvenile fish and they could be different when that small.

kev