Thread: Hello from Geelong Victoria.

Hello from Geelong Victoria.

Here we sit on the cusp of building a new shed to accomodate the new dream. So many decisions to make and lots of research to do. The shed thing is the easy part, the boat choice is the hard part.

A wife and two little ones to safely accomodate on board, protected bay and river fishing in southern Vic the plan. I know my way around the pointy end of a fishing hook, but whats the pointy end of the boat called again???.

This world of boating seems as diabolically confusing as the yoghurt section of the supermarket, so guys with your help, I will probe the 'collective mind' over the next few months for hints and tips to help us embark upon this exciting and rewarding family journey. Our first trip will be most likely straight to the bottom of the wallet to find the crispy notes to hand over.

Enough about us. Thanks for this great site, and we look forward to meeting and chatting to all enthused and experience fisherpersons.

Re: Hello from Geelong Victoria.

Welcome aboard Relaxedcamper........I too am new to the boating game - but about 6 months ago I bourght a 4.4m stacer tinny....I am please I didn't spend tens of thousands as I have made many mistakes and the tinny has paid the price with scratches and dints....I have learnt from what I did wrong and my boat has copped it....my suggestion to you is to buy a small boat comfortable for you and your family....it's up to you if you buy brand new....but I bourght my boat of a bloke who had it for sale on the side of the road.....I am glad I didn't buy a brand new one - as I get more experience on the water I will buy a bigger and better boat.....if you want to know something more specific let me know and I will give you the best advise I can...
    All the best with your purchase....
    Cheers

Thanks reddybayfisher for the warm welcome.

I anticipate that both my wife and I will go to a boat safety/training course to teach us as much as possible, and to also help us get our boating licence. I take your point about dings, scratches, and dents. Better to do that with something that will only attract some 'marks of distinction' rather than spoiling the finish on a brand new one.

We will spend this year building the new shed and asking lots of questions and listening to lots of answers to work our way through the new huge world of boating. It is really exciting, perhaps not as exciting as the birth of your children, but you know what I mean!!!

Thanks again for the welcome and I'll make sure to drop you a few questions.

Cheers.

Not a problem Relaxedcamper......I am originally from Geelong before moving to Redland Bay (South East of Brisbane) about two years ago.....I will never more back there....40 degrees one day then 22 the next....also the people up here tend to be a bit more friendlier.....I have fished many times in Corio Bay as a young lad....
    Try and ask as many questions as you can when you do your course (hope you get a good instructor) - but there is nothing like going out yourself....as another suggestion maybe hire a boat while building your shed....I am sure there would be somehere in Geelong to do that.....
    The weather up here hasn;t been too good lately - I hope to go out on Wednesday - just installed a new VHF radio in my boat - don;t laugh it has taken me nearly two days...it's a long story but spent most of my time running around for marine grade materials....all a learning curve I suppose....
    Cheers for now....

Hi again reddybayfisher,
    Yes, I too have already worked out the term 'Marine grade', that 'something' special that means more money. But I do appreciate that you don't want that new thing fall apart because you used the wrong material.

Have spent some time at boat ramps and talking to people and have already noticed the division between glass and ally boats, new vs old, two stroke vs 4, centre console vs forward steer. So I feel a little on the way, at least I know what the terms mean.

The boat hire idea is good, but we are concerned that it will make us even more keen to just get out there and go. Our local hire place has only small yellow tinnies that at the moment would be a little ask with the little people in our life.

Cheers.