Thread: Which surf rod for Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500?

Which surf rod for Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500?

Hey all!

My first post!

Been reading weeks trying to find myself a good beach combo! Trying to get into surf fishing (never done it before).

After extensive researching, either overhead, spinner or and alvey. I ended up buying an egg beater! (Daiwa Emblem pro 5500!)

Now i need to find a nice/decent rod to go with it. Willing to spend up to $200 as the place that I bought the reel from sold me a Uglystick Platinum 12" rod which I'm wanting to return tomorrow. I'm reading not so good things about them. Was really after the Silstar crystal blue powertip but they didn't have any in stock!

Will be doing just surf fishing for Salmon, Bream, Whiting and maybe a Mulloway!

If i get better at surf, I might also give rock fishing a go! but mainly just surf for now!

Anyone got a nice rod setup with their Emblem pro 5500 for surf fishing?

Thanks A Lot!

Re: Which surf rod for Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500?

Hi I last year I bought a 12ft emblem surf 2piece for my 5500. It is a perfect match 15 to30lb.I have three spools 15,30&50lb braid this combo does it all,it will cast as far you like and you can put some real hurt on fish.I think you might be a bit overgunned for bream and whiting with an emblem pro outfit. they are more suited for salmon,tailor,snapper,tuna,jew,trevally,mackeral etc from the rocks or beach. Rod is an es-1202mhrs . I also own a Abu sonar tip 7 to 12kg which is similar to the crystal blue power tip, there is no comparison. If you get it you'll be wrapped how far you can out cast your mates and they're twice as lite.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboss View Post
    Hi I last year I bought a 12ft emblem surf 2piece for my 5500. It is a perfect match 15 to30lb.I have three spools 15,30&50lb braid this combo does it all,it will cast as far you like and you can put some real hurt on fish.I think you might be a bit overgunned for bream and whiting with an emblem pro outfit. they are more suited for salmon,tailor,snapper,tuna,jew,trevally,mackeral etc from the rocks or beach. Rod is an es-1202mhrs . I also own a Abu sonar tip 7 to 12kg which is similar to the crystal blue power tip, there is no comparison. If you get it you'll be wrapped how far you can out cast your mates and they're twice as lite.
    Thanks for the reply, I just quickly went to Daiwa's website and I can't seem to find the emblem surf rod you are mentioning. Maybe it's dis-continued! Same with the Abu, do they only make reels now?

I need a rod by tomorrow! got a day off! :p

If you live in Brisbane Tackle Wharehouse for the diawa or BCF for abu or silstar

Gday try a Penn BigGame Surf rod either in the 10' or 11' size. Rated 10-15kg very strong and light as a feather being carbon composite. From what I've read on a lot of other sites its a perfect match for the Emblem. Great for casting lures all day as well as baitfishing.

Cheers

Bronzie

Thanks for your input guys!

I went to Compleat Angler and staff recommended the Okuma 13 foot X-Factor rod. Graphite composite! Very light!

Now I just got to get used to the whole surf outfit!

Was at the beach today trying to see if I could cast further than what i did with a 7 foot rod. Was windy today and only managed to get the same distance!

After googling! (Don't you love the internet!) only to realise there is a special technique to surf casting!

So I'm now studying Danny MoesKops's Videos!

Mate if you pick up any of his tecnique, you'll be casting to NZ!
    Cheers and enjoy!

Hi mate. In the surf i prefer to have a couple of outfits which will fish different styles. rather than one. I have a small estuary rod for whiting, a heavy jewie/snapper rod and a 13'6 tailor rod, for everything else.

Good luck and have fun

Owen