Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Townsville F,F'n'F

Re: Townsville F,F'n'F

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post

To summarise:

Date: Saturday 5th April
    Place: Coastguard ramp
    Time: 4:30am, meeting up later at 12-1pm
    Boundary: Maggie Shoals to North side of Rattlesnake (for those participating in the comp)

Equipment: Any fishing apparatus, be it spear guns, rods, hand lines, all supplied by the individual unless other arrangements can be made.

Rules: Catch and Release or Killngrill. All Regulations must be followed (ie yellow zones such as middle reef, bag limits, size limits).
    For those wanting to participate in the comp, it is not necessary for you to keep the fish if you don't want to, photo's will suffice.
    I'll be there and the $5.00 sounds very fare. I doubt I'll take the Dory out to far unless I can get a couple of deckies that know the ropes up there that want a total stranger as a skipper........failing that, I make a great deckie for anyone that needs one. I'll have been in Townsville a whole week by then, what a great start to a new future for me and my family!!!
    Last edited by fish-n-dive; 10-03-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Its ok fish'n'dive, there's not much you need to look out for in the dory, just don't go too near Maggie island on the Western side, it gets very shallow. Also middle reef get very shallow on a really low tide, but that shouldn't be an issue on the day. make sure you get hold of some zoning maps from one of the local tackle shops (you can view them on the GBRMPA website) and learn the regs, as you can only use certain gear in some areas, I'd be happy to take you along in my boat on the day, I don't know much about the area, but I do know of a couple of holes that hold some good fish, only problem is I only have 2 seats in the boat, so a sturdy esky would be needed ( it would be great if you had a big esky I could borrow on the day to put our monster fish in though).

Levinge has emailed me a score sheet that the RAAF club uses during their comps. I thought it is very easy to use and understand and it will eliminate any advantages of those who can travel further. I have attached it below with his permission for you all to view and let me know what you think, much easier and more organized than trying to get everyone together to vote. It will also eliminate the possibility of bias among groups and any accusations of such (not saying there will be, but i think its a good idea so we can ensure the day ends on a highly positive note). I have looked at it and there are some species that we won't encounter on the day, and others have not been entered, but if we all take a look, i can modify it and add/remove/modify the sheet.

I have copy and pasted the data to a doc file, for some reason i couldn't attach the excel file
    Last edited by Scott nthQld; 10-03-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Hey guys, I have only just gotten onto this, and I would be keen to join in. But no spare spaces in my boat I'm afraid. Wife and 2 young boys (1 and 3yrs) to consider.

If you want somewhere to place details for the day without people having to read through the pages of posts, I'm happy to advertise the day on my blog. See address below.

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Its ok fish'n'dive, there's not much you need to look out for in the dory, just don't go too near Maggie island on the Western side, it gets very shallow. Also middle reef get very shallow on a really low tide, but that shouldn't be an issue on the day. make sure you get hold of some zoning maps from one of the local tackle shops (you can view them on the GBRMPA website) and learn the regs, as you can only use certain gear in some areas, I'd be happy to take you along in my boat on the day, I don't know much about the area, but I do know of a couple of holes that hold some good fish, only problem is I only have 2 seats in the boat, so a sturdy esky would be needed ( it would be great if you had a big esky I could borrow on the day to put our monster fish in though).

Levinge has emailed me a score sheet that the RAAF club uses during their comps. I thought it is very easy to use and understand and it will eliminate any advantages of those who can travel further. I have attached it below with his permission for you all to view and let me know what you think, much easier and more organized than trying to get everyone together to vote. It will also eliminate the possibility of bias among groups and any accusations of such (not saying there will be, but i think its a good idea so we can ensure the day ends on a highly positive note). I have looked at it and there are some species that we won't encounter on the day, and others have not been entered, but if we all take a look, i can modify it and add/remove/modify the sheet.

I have copy and pasted the data to a doc file, for some reason i couldn't attach the excel file
    Hey, thanks Scott......I'm there (big esky and all).....I'll PM you.
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

I'm getting thirsty, maybe another catch up at a local is in order, just to refresh and maybe catch up on some points that we may have missed.

Problem is with your thirst Corey, you'll forget the points you've already sorted out

Oh wait.... I'm just as bad!!!

Yeah another visit to the pub is high up on the agenda. I like the riverside, even though is it the furtherest pub from my house, the perv is worth the drive.

Also, Dan, I will have to get a bait esky (my other small esky has nearly disintegrated in the sun), sick of the pillies turning to mush.

Riverside is good for me. Walk there in a few mins. My new boat arrived today. Just need some good weather to get her wet. Pics are up in my blog.

She certainly looks the goods Malcom. I'm guessing you bought her brand new from rising sun? Thats why there were delays? how much did that rig set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Yep, from Rising Sun. Can't say my experiece with the new manager was all that great. He sold me a boat, but he didn't sell me customer satisfaction. Whole rig was just over $62,000. But that includes $4500 for the Humminbird GPS/Sounder. I think the price was ok. And there are no other options close by for Cruise Craft! Just need to get her wet now
    Last edited by Malcolm1976; 14-03-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Ouch! That's certainly not good business practice...

If you ever need company on that new big boat......

We bought a new yammie from rising sun a couple of years ago now and for us their service was excellent. But I have noticed with many businesses around Townsville thats the way things seem to be going get you in, get your money and get you out, which is not always a bad thing, it just shows (to me anyway) that they are doing it tough because of competition and want to get as many sales in as little time, often letting after sales service go by-the-by, which in theory should lower prices and leave more money in my pocket. They will offer you the world to get a sale, but once the sale is said and done you fade into the mist and they go prowling for their next commission.

Scott thats why I'm dealing with the guys up at Mission Beach for the Formosa
    , service so far has been excellent and can't say enough about how helpful the Tinnie Shack are. Plus there isn't a Formosa dealer in Townsville and I don't feel like paying 60k for a Centre Cab when I can drive 2 hours north and pick up a 46K boat with all the options inlcuded.
    Fillet and Release Squad

I was going to write a detailed account of my dealings with Rising Sun (I might add that the guys that work in there are great, manages I am dealing with) but I will sum it up with todays experience!! Went back in to purchase some padding for the tie-down strap. Ticket price $19.95, price I paid $19.95. You would think after spending $60k+ you could do some good deals. Couldn't even install a $4500 sounder for nothing. WAS even going to charge me labour to install a couple of baring buddies on the trailer (5min job)!!!! Only a look of disgust got them put on last minute before leaving. Come on......

Next time you are in there ask for mates rates. I get it all the time when i purchase something from there, or ask for trade discount, i got my prob bush which was meant to cost $52.95 i got it for 31 bux.
    Or ask to talk to the apprentice mechanic andrew, he knows what hes talkn about and always gives me good deals(mates rates lol)
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water