Thread: sx40 treble upgrades

sx40 treble upgrades

Hey guys what can you reccomend for a treble up grade for ecogear sx40's, had both trebles broken on a single fish this week
    cheers

Re: sx40 treble upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by 63eh View Post
    Hey guys what can you reccomend for a treble up grade for ecogear sx40's, had both trebles broken on a single fish this week
    cheers
    Id be putting the owner stingers in them.....Mainly because they are needle sharp.
    You can get double strength if neeed.

Pete

I thought they were fitted with owner stingers?????????? I know if you put size 10 owners on them they will suspend but putting too heavy a treble on them will ruin the action. I havent had any trouble with the standard trebles but i only fish them on 3-4lb leader.What leader and main line are you running?
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

mainline 4lb nitlon pe, to 6lb fluro carbon leader, broke 1 barb of each treble, lure brand new
    Last edited by 63eh; 11-01-2008 at 12:02 AM.

heard a lot about the sx40 recently i think i might just have to give them a try, sounds like they are doing the job at the moment, must have been a good fish to pull both, what coulors have you been fishing??

back gold did the job in the dirty water,sorry cant remember the code,

You can run Decoy singles if you want

They seem to handle the pink bream alot better. Havehad to change all of my original trebbles
    Cheers

Steven

I use the VMC trebles after having similar issues.
    Have had no problems since. I think they are the 3x extra strong.
    Size is up to you to suit, mine are size 8 from memory.

There is a great little tool available for the split rings also, it is like a pair of tweezers.
    Great for the smaller rings.

wat fish did you catch on it?
    if it was a bream they have very strong jaws used for crushing oysters so sometimes the will crush you trebbles. i dont think you can get much better then the owner unless you go a very heady duty hook but then you will miss alot of hits and id be guessing the action wont be the same.

had the same problems with some of my sx's, breaking like a toothpick, but ive since put owner stingers on em and they have been fine

Breamnut, fish was second bream for the day, on a brand new sx, i found one barb in his lip which i pulled out before release, loosing a barb of each treble did not seem to effect action, but had to ditch it as i was missing hits,

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    had the same problems with some of my sx's, breaking like a toothpick, but ive since put owner stingers on em and they have been fine
    Haha, they already come with Owner Stinger ST36's. Your putting the same trebles on that come stock.

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    SX-40s come standard with Owner Stingers...

as covered above ecogear already use owners which are strong but brittle. There really isn't any alternative when fishing ultralights as you can bugger up the action too easily. I suppose if you really wanted to you could put a #6 or #4 lure single on the back and take of the front hook all together but don't expect as many hook ups. The owners do snap in fishes mouths but i've had far more fail from being too rough with pliers when trying to remove them from a fishes mouth.