Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trolling spoons

Trolling spoons

Hey all,
    For the first time last week i tried trolling spoons, a mate got me into it, within 2 minutes i had caught one doggie mackeral at 55cm in length. just wonderin as to who else has had luck trolling spoons?What size were the spoons?

I was trolling 4" halco spoons and they were doing fine although when you go to buy them in shops they only sell the 3". yet to try the 3" and see how they go.

Gilli
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

Re: Trolling spoons

hiya mate
    used to troll huntingdon drones in the caribean , bout 20 foot down on the rigger got heaps of wahoo on em , the dollies didnt seem bothered at all. was using the 5inch version with a yellow holographic sticker
    all the best mate
    carl

i have 2 set up with 4in barra spoons, work for me

Mike

We have trolled spoons as long as i can remeber a easy way to lure and productice.
    Our lines are made up to sit about 110 feet behind the boat and sit at different depths on sits at 14 feet deep another at 10 and a lighter version at 5 is just amatter of adjusting sinker weight.
    And using a 5 inch spoon varing the size for different depths and at times colour for example the greys(broad barrelled spanish) don't mind a orange coloured spoon at times. There is a actuall formula in making these troll lines that we got off the pros years ago that just spooned for mackeral .
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

my spoons are on hand lines, spoon onto a short wire, then 20mts heavy mono, then 100 metres cord.

Mike

Pro's been useing spoons for years ....... i wonder why?

BigE

Sounds like they are pretty productive little pieces of equipment. Ive been told about making my own and they seem relatively simple to make, might give it a try. Whats the best catches that people have had on spoons? My personal best so far is 4 macks in 1.5 hours last week which was the first time that i had ever used them.

Cheers
    Gilli

GO326Q

Been using spoons forever, top gear, large and small, small work well on bream even, I don't think we have come real far in fishing tackle....Im getting old

cheers fnq

Yeah thats true, just the same tackle with different colours coming out now. Halco is the only company that i can find that makes spoons and the downfall is that they only make 76mm long(3") version unless they are always sold out. They even reckon that they can be used for barra. Anyone else heard anything bout this?
    Gilli

GO326Q

i use 4in barra spoons from BCF.

Always get macs on em.

Mike

Picked up a couple yesterday so as soon as this weather gives us a break i will be hitting the bay to see how they go.

Cheers Dazza

yeah i got the urge to hit the water but there is 2 lows sitting off the coast of here(Townsville) at the moment and it has ruined all fishing. Too much fresh running down the rivers n creeks also which makes me save my fuel. Cant wait to get back out on the water.
    Gilli

GO326Q

I haven't used a spoon for a couple of years now but i put them behind a paravane and have caught doggys by the dozen, greys and a small spaniard. 30cm of single strand wire in front of it. Ben

I was at my local tackle today gillie they have 6 inch 5 inch and more mate
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

There is this so called formula for making these lines up!
    I found a handline already made up, with the 4" spoon, steel wire, swivel, sinker, steel cable, swivel then 'rope'.
    I think Yachties use them when sailing around.
    I havent caught any macks on mine yet, but I do lob it out at times. I attach the required length of rope to a bicycle inner tube fixed to the boat.
    Must admit, I have never let out a lot of rope, I thought it would be best to sort of get it 'swimming' at the end of the prop wash???