Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for boaties: Night lights for a canoe???

Question for boaties: Night lights for a canoe???

Hi All,
    The Son and I typically fish from our canoe, and often pack up and head home as it starts to get dark, which is often when the fish start to bite. So, with that in mind, we'd like to start fishing longer/later/darker. We're not talking overnight or anything, just an hour or two after dusk. My main concern is boats, being that they see us, realise what we are, and avoid us. I was thinking of some sort of LED light on the bow and stern, primarily for the boaties to see us.
    Are just a couple of white LED lights going to be sufficient, or should I look more at 'nav' lights, or would that be too confusing on a canoe? (and what do the 'nav' lights consist of??).

Anyway, any tips on making this venture somewhat safer would be appreciated.
    Cheers!

Re: Question for boaties: Night lights for a canoe???

mate you get get those battery operated suction lighs for around $30

they are navigation lights too.

g

Suggest you also carry a decent torch such as an Eveready Dolphin to shine AT boats that are approaching you. Whatever lights you put on will be lowdown & not easy to see.
    Last edited by peterbo3; 08-01-2008 at 06:26 PM.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Rather than shining a bright light in the eyes of another boatie, I suggest that you shine the light on yourselves so he/she can see who you are and what type of craft you are in.

Mike

suction cup lights good and also might pay to have a LED Head set on. That way if a boat is approachin he may see a white light directed straight at him. Also might pay to get some reflective tape for the canoes, as your profile is alot lower to the water than that of a Boat/Runabout. The more visible you are the better chance you will have of avoiding becoming someones figurehead!!!!!

Personally I'd rather be in a bigger boat at night, I have seen what comes out after dark and would not be keen on being in a canoe.

Good luck
    Fillet and Release Squad

When I initially set up my old tinny I set up some nice LED nav lights on it and just hooked them up to a tiny 12v battery that came out of a kids' electric Quad bike ride on. That battery held its charge forever because the LED lights do not draw a lot of current.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Damned67 View Post
    Hi All,
    The Son and I typically fish from our canoe, and often pack up and head home as it starts to get dark, which is often when the fish start to bite. So, with that in mind, we'd like to start fishing longer/later/darker. We're not talking overnight or anything, just an hour or two after dusk. My main concern is boats, being that they see us, realise what we are, and avoid us. I was thinking of some sort of LED light on the bow and stern, primarily for the boaties to see us.
    Are just a couple of white LED lights going to be sufficient, or should I look more at 'nav' lights, or would that be too confusing on a canoe? (and what do the 'nav' lights consist of??).

Anyway, any tips on making this venture somewhat safer would be appreciated.
    Cheers!
    If you are out after dark then by law you must have navigation lights.
    Not only for your own safety, but also to save someone the lifelong distress that could be caused by a collision.

Lights are Port =red,Starboard =green + a 360degree white light.

Your State Boating Authority should have a free booklet showing Lighting and Navigation rules.

Regards
    seabug

Thanks All!!

Quote Originally Posted by seabug View Post
    Lights are Port =red,Starboard =green + a 360degree white light.

Your State Boating Authority should have a free booklet showing Lighting and Navigation rules.
    I thought that 'nav' lights might be a neccessity. Anyone know if Qld have the nav light rules online? ie specs for the lights themselves?

Hi Damned 67 .... (and without deliberately getting too deep .... but!!)

Surely it wouldn't be all that hard to get a couple of the elcheapo BCF suction nav lights and wack them on the canoe. Add to that an all round white light (anchor lite and set at semi reasonable height - above your body / head level ) -- a metre or so on a pole)

The alternative is .... I have a 24" shark cat and don't see you ... your dead for a long time .... hmmm ! As far as I know, all state legislation dictates this as a minimum

Not at all trying to be a smart ass .... but anything at night is hard enough to see, especially when you aren't illuminated..

The age old adage ... "It'll never happen to me!" .... yea right ..... but what about the poor bugger having to live with running you over !!!

Its all good ... I'm sure that $50 invested in your safety is worth every penny ?? And, in the mean time, good luck with your fishing !!!

Cheers
    Greg
    Last edited by Fatenhappy; 08-01-2008 at 08:03 PM.

i like the idea of the suction lights and a white light on a pole run off a small battery. also i would have led headlamps on as well and reflective tape on the canoe maybe even one of those reflective vests that the main roads guys use - u cant be too cautious i reckon

Thanks guys,
    We already have the LED headlamps (for our own vision), but I'll make sure to grab some nav lights before we venture out at dark.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Damned67 View Post
    Thanks All!!

I thought that 'nav' lights might be a neccessity. Anyone know if Qld have the nav light rules online? ie specs for the lights themselves?

Here you go mate.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safet...gation_lights/

Good luck,
    Mike

There is a suction 360 white light available at bcf too. If you want any reflective tape, send me a PM - I have boatloads of it and will post it to you for nics.

OK, just had a look at the 'requirements' for 'nav' lights, while also pricing them. Less than $50 for port, starboard and mast lights, which is great.

According to the Maritime Safety site, being a non-powered vessel under 7m, all I need a torch to warn oncoming vessels in case of an accident, and an all white mast light if anchored. So, I definitely need the mast light. I'm more than willing to also install green and red.

Now, here's the thing..... The canoe, at it's widest, is likely less than 1m. As a boatie, would the red and green lights being so close together be confusing?
    I guess I'll rig them up like some of the trailer lights, ie on a removable board, which means I could make it wider than the canoe itself.........

Thanks again, everybody!!
    All the suggestions have been great! Much appreciated.
    Cheers.

No

The red and light won't be anymore confusing than the same suctioncup all in one red and green unit on my tinnie

The red and green are right next to each other

Jack