View Poll Results: Would you keep a barra to claim a possible world record?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

74 47.74%
  • No

60 38.71%
  • Undecided

21 13.55%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Barramundi World Record

Re: Barramundi World Record

The fish below was Aus and world 10-12 years ago it 20.5kg gilled and gutted on 6kg it measured 1198mm, 2mm short of max size limit in saltwater as it was a fat bitch we thought it would never get beaten..until they allowed a tinaroo fish to take the crown, It really peed me to death because that fish was over 1200 long and you can't take a fish that big in the salt... I got an 8.5kg cleaned on 1kg fishing for tarpon with a leadhead jig and that was the record for a long time and has just been beaten in the last few years... I really think impoundment and wild fish should always be in separate catagories... now days I only keep fish upto 900mm as I recon there is nothing left to prove and besides the big girls are there to breed and they are not as good as the males to eat anyway

SL
    IFISHCQ2

Arrow Re: Barramundi World Record

Would I keep a barra in order to claim a world record?

Answer: Only if necessary

First I'd need to think about the possibility of a world record barra coming my way. If I thought there was a chance, then I'd need to weigh up the considerations beforehand as well as do the homework.

I wouldn't keep a fish for a "possible" world record but I might keep one (if necessary) if I knew it was a "definate" world record.

So I would first check the current IGFA world records for barra and write them down - see below - and I'd keep that info somewhere handy in the tackle box or boat. If you got onto a big fish and thought it was a record beater the first step would be to weigh it and check the weight against the current record for the line class you are using.

Be careful when weighing or you might sever or rupture the fish's gill latch if you suspend it upright under its full weight. Use of a sling to weigh fish is permissible as long as you record and deduct the weight of the sling.

Photos are allowed as evidence of the fish you caught BUT the IGFA says it will not accept record claims if the fish is weighed on the sea or on other 'bodies of water' so if the shore isn't too far away - get to it quick, then there might still be a chance to release the fish.

So if it was my intention to claim a world record if one came by, I'd prefer to do it without having to keep/kill the fish. If there was no other way, and I really didn't want that record to slip by - then I'd most likely keep the fish and enjoy the fillets afterwards (as long as it was a wildy).

Before I submit any claim I'd make sure I was familiar with all of the IGFA requirements for submitting records, otherwise the application might be rejected - so all that effort for nought! As I say...do your homework!

I've done some homework for you already as follows:

IGFA Current World Records for barra:

Line Class; Fish Weight; Location; Year
    1kg 11.6kg Port Headland 2002
    2kg 19.2kg False Cape 1993
    3kg 21.55kg Tinaroo 1999
    4kg 22.2kg Sth Alligator R 1990
    6kg 27.1kg Mary River 1994
    8kg 29.85kg Tinaroo 2000
    10kg 29.4kg Tinaroo 1998
    15kg 30.4kg Tinaroo 2003
    24kg 37.85kg Tinaroo 1999
    37kg 18.82kg Tinaroo 2007
    All Tackle (see 24kg)

So there you go. Looks like the most breakable record above is the 37kg class so spool up guys with your heavy braid and go get 'em.

PS. Yes, there are more record categories than those listed above such as 'junior & small fry' etc. I just listed the main ones for line class...
    Last edited by PNG1M; 05-06-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spell check...
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Take some pics and let it go to breed and be caught again. records ? do thay need a medal or a chest to pin it to. LET THEM LIVE !! !!!

Totally agree with johno r!!!!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by johno r View Post
    Take some pics and let it go to breed and be caught again. records ? do thay need a medal or a chest to pin it to. LET THEM LIVE !! !!!

We've had a slot limit of 55 to 80cm on the Ord for at least a decade now so I'm well indoctrinated into that sort of philosophy and support it.

Having said that big barras in dams don't fulfill the same ecological necessaries as river fish. The dams are an artificial environment and barra populations are artificially maintained.

On that basis I'd be reevaluating the value of a large barra taken out of a dam. I must say that necking a big one for the sake of a record provided the fish was turned into tucker seems reasonable especially if it reduces the need to keep wild fish (river or sea) for a feed.

Further to that with size restrictions on wild barra becoming more common and the number of records associated with dams it seems reasonable that dams will/are becoming a focus of that sort of thing.

One reason I believe dams were stocked was to pull into the town the tourist dollar, world record fish on tap will attract wealthy people with nothing better to do than spend money. Not everyones vision of how it should be but you get that

whats the go with the compleat angler NOB killing a protected species.