View Poll Results: Would you keep a barra to claim a possible world record?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

74 47.74%
  • No

60 38.71%
  • Undecided

21 13.55%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barramundi World Record

Re: Barramundi World Record

The barron arm is part of tinaroo.I fished out the mouth of it late november and caught four fish. 98,114,118 and 129cm.All casting at a shallow point.

Being Honest. Yes i would keep a big barra, if it was a chance at a world record. I'm also a bit sus on impoundment barra being used for world records . They should have to be wild to claim a record, in my opinion.

Why would anyone want a world record? It doesn't feed you, make you live longer or make you a better person. All it gives you is bragging rights - BFD.

The personal satisfaction of a good happy snap and successfully releasing a big girl back into the depths would far outweigh a world record IMHO.

If you want a world record go jump on a pogo stick for five days or eat 75 hot dogs in 10 minutes for the Guiness Book of Records - it means just as much!!

Pete
    Last edited by Peter4; 09-01-2008 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Why would anyone want a world record? It doesn't feed you, make you live longer or make you a better person. All it gives you is bragging rights - BFD.

Pete
    I guess it's an age old Question. Why do ppl climb mount everest? Why do ppl fish competitions? Why do ppl hunt for trophies?

Human instinct dictates individuals want to leave there mark. They want to compete and win. Most importantly, they want to hunt. It's a primal instinct in us all. If it's in a record book well all good in my opinion.

I agree with pete above BFD for an adult although I wouldn't deny a child the chance if that was what they wanted, when it is all said and done in nature a big barra is nothing but a bug on the windscreen of life or a fingerling that went belly up.
    Size is but a measurement we humans make, along with all the other emotional bit's and pieces we tag fish with.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 09-01-2008 at 08:37 AM.

everyone is entitles to their opinion, but records are meaningful to me. All tackle and line class records. It is a means of comparing your angling skill to that of others. You have to find, hook and fight the fish, all of which take skill, and to recognise skill in records is legitimate and warranted.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    everyone is entitles to their opinion, but records are meaningful to me. All tackle and line class records. It is a means of comparing your angling skill to that of others. You have to find, hook and fight the fish, all of which take skill, and to recognise skill in records is legitimate and warranted.

Jeremy
    That's fine Jeremy. I don't deny anyone else's records and need to compete - it's just not my thing.

I was only expressing my opinion and (hopefully) not rubbishing the opinion of others.

The important thing is that we all enjoy our fishing for different goals and different reasons - none of which are strictly the 'correct' ones!!

Pete

I voted yes.
    I think the amount of fish kept for potential records would be very minimal.
    As mentioned, the people who are eligible for the records are only club members and not the general fishing population.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post

The personal satisfaction of a good happy snap and successfully releasing a big girl back into the depths would far outweigh a world record IMHO.

If you want a world record go jump on a pogo stick for five days or eat 75 hot dogs in 10 minutes for the Guiness Book of Records - it means just as much!!

Pete

Hi Pete

I know you are only expressing an opinion & you are entitled to it.
    Its been said before , but people do fish for different reasons & have different motivations.
    I know personally that having done the ANSA / Competition thing many years ago ...... & I'm over it! .. I still find motivation in trying to improve & catch bigger more fish ( along with other things) ! ..... Though most will be released with a quick pic.....& great satisfaction! I still no doubt would feel differently about knowing that I had caught a record fish Nagg

I don't think i'd ever bother with going out and fishing for a record, but i have respect for people who have titles to there name. However I have to admit i wouldn't mind a big barra mounted next to the pool table but then again taking a really good photo and getting it blown up and framed would probably look just as good. They also do a fair few fibreglass moulds now where you show them a photo and tell them the length and they paint a pre existing mould of a similar proportioned fish. But anyway effically i don't have a problem with people keeping the occasional big dam barra as a trophy as long as its utilised (eaten or mounted etc). I've always said keep as many fish as you want (within regulations) as long as you do something usefull with it. This is were i have a problem with people killing big sharks and billfish on a regular basis and then dumping it because they're not good for anything else.

Well, the votes are coming in, and like I said, I wanted to start this thread to see peoples decisions/choices and reasoning behind those choices. And a mixed bag it has been!!!!!

I have just read in the local rag that the 13 year old caught her FIRST barra weighing in at 17kg more than her at 28kg, and 123cm in length, with record pending the International Game Fishing Associations for their final decision.

Damn I would be happy with that fish size as she has pipped my P.B. Not a bad effort for your first barra, regardless if its from an impoundment;P

Jeremy, you mentioned the fish moulds, does anyone know where in FNQ (Cairns) this can be done?

I think this would look groovy in the pool room, and would feel content with this option, especially having it painted the same as one caught and released. I like that option, however, such a milestone for personal reasons to have a world record would be great.

Thanks guys
    Matt

Guys... a bit more on the capture...

Fish was 123cm and 28kg, trolled up at 7pm Friday night on a 8+ Barra Bait in Bobby Dazzler at the Barron Arm (know right where it was caught too!).

As for Records... I couldn't kill one for a record... even if it was a 100lb'er. If I caught a fish that big, I would take millions of pictures as quick as possible and would leave it at that! I have seen fish of 135cm, 134cm, 132cm and 129cm caught and they would all eclipse Records with ease - but it was great to see all of them released!

Cheers

Theo
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by Barraboss View Post
    Jeremy, you mentioned the fish moulds, does anyone know where in FNQ (Cairns) this can be done?
    Thanks guys
    Matt
    Sorry mate but haven't had one done myself, i have a mate who caught a metre plus fish in darwin and came back down to brissy and had it made up based on the photo. I'd assume if you got in touch with a local taxidermy place they'd either do it for you or be able to refer you to someone who can, I'm sure that someone else on this chatboard will be able to help you out.

barraboss i seen it get done down on the beach with a marlin, they dug a hole in the sand, put the fish in, poured in this silicon looking stuff let it set and hay presto it was done then they got it painted.

i dont know wether i could keep a fish that size though. i sepose i gotta get a fish fish lol
    WIVES CANT LIVE WITH EM, BUT SURE CAN FISH WITHOUT EM.

Interesting Discussion.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have kept it, as not knowing the rules required for records it would have been too great a risk, and I couldn't live with myself knobbling a great fish like that and coming up short in the record stakes.

However, I do believe, as some of the others have already mentioned, that if you are properly prepared for chasing a record, then keeping the fish is acceptable to achieve this goal. If it was during the closed season and not in one of the dams, then I personally think that it should be released, as per any other fish, unharmed and still kicking.

Having said that, bloody well done to the angler involved, and I do hope she get's the record. Smashed my PB by at least 33 cm, although mine was a "wild" barra, so maybe some bonus points there.

Cheers,

Bigfella Ben