Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota v's Jarvis Walker

Minn Kota v's Jarvis Walker

Anyone have any recommendations good or bad re: Minn Kota v's Jarvis Walker???

I have a 400 Hornet Trophy - anyone with same size boat - I would appreciate your input as to what size to get eg 55lb?? Is it worth getting the model to handle salt water when I only go 1 or 2 times a year??

Re: Minn Kota v's Jarvis Walker

I would be looking at minimum of 54lb electric with my personal chioce being a 80lb cable steer in Minn Kota or Motorguide... If your dam fishing mainly a 54lb would do the job but get MK or MG the extra warrenty is worth it alone apart from getting a better unit IMO..
    Last edited by TheSaint; 06-01-2008 at 03:54 PM.

54/55lber would be ideal for a 4M Hornet ( run a 100-120amp deep cycle)

I'm still of the opinion that its too early to offer a fair comparison between a Kota & a Snake ( the majority in use would be less than 12months old) ....... This time next year, fair enough!

Nagg

80lb is overkill for a 4mtr hornet
    I have a 55lb minn kota on 445 allycraft dory and it has heaps of power, and can easily hold it against the tides here in CQ. Plus factor in the high sides of the dory vs low sides of the hornet when contending with the wind.....

The autopilot feature of the minn kota is hard to pass up

I'm looking into the 80lb for the new boat, at 5.2mtr and nearly double the weight of the current boat it should be a good match

Mine is a 4.45 Hornet Riptide 54lb 24 volt with autopilot The autopilot is just the best thing about Minnkota units

go the 55lb minn kota ap there awesome , thats whats on my 400 hornet. cheeers bdowdy...brett

i gotta give one to the 55 kota ap, got one on my 4.3 deep v boat and it holds it perfect.

hey there ive got a 54lb water snake which i got on the ##### birthday sale $599 18 months ago i use it nearly everyweekend fishing hinze dam or coomera river i cant fault it have never had a problem. the water snake runs motorguide components and motor for half the price of the minn kota its not a bad buy

NOjacks

Mines a 4 meter hornet with a 55lb riptide bow mount minn kota, perfect for that size boat, had one problem with the foot control and it was fixed under warranty no probs, fish both fresh and salt.
    cheers
    brian

just bought a 44lb water snake for my little baby I will let you know if she is a ripper or a dipper next year..... but as all the guys say 55lb for your hornet is plenty, my mate has a 4 mt hornet and with a full loaded boat ie live well full and camping gear it moves and holds in the breeze just fine and auto pilot is a blessing when working the corrodoors of sticks or river banks.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    just bought a 44lb water snake for my little baby I will let you know if she is a ripper or a dipper next year..... but as all the guys say 55lb for your hornet is plenty, my mate has a 4 mt hornet and with a full loaded boat ie live well full and camping gear it moves and holds in the breeze just fine and auto pilot is a blessing when working the corrodoors of sticks or river banks.

TT
    i have a 44lb watersnake on mine and my boat is a 385 explorer and it goes well on it no problems at all plenty of power in windy condtions just remeber the big the motor the more power they suck i have a 105amp calcium sealed battery and it last all day the water snakes have a power flow function which helps conserve power i know motorguide and minn kota have the same sort of thing in there motors as well i also did heaps of research and feel for value for money i couldnt go past the watersnake which cost me $499 with foot control and its salt water as well

I've got the 55lb minn kota on my 4mtr bass elite. Best investment I ever made. Can't go wrong. Auto pilot is essential.

BB

minn kota for sure i have the 55, a friend had the water snake and they are a noisy motor and he had a few probs with it

I don't give a crap what anybody says, having Auto Pilot on the minn kota is awesome. Sure, a watersnake will get you around the same and a cable steer might be more reliable than the MK foot pedals. But when you want to fish a shoreline with a crosswind or drift the same direction as the current with a crosswind just set the Auto Pilot to the angle you need and go. As far a cable steer goes while they may have a lot of advantages with speed of direction change...... I just can't stand like the "karate kid"all day balancing on one leg.

And 55 pound is plenty.

Josh

Had a snake 55 on my 4.2 tinny for about a year know..Its had heaps of use, rips the boat through the water with ease and so far can't fault it....I considered the other brands but in the end..... picked up a snake and a Diawa Certate Custom 2500 reel for the same price..