Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota v's Jarvis Walker

Re: Minn Kota v's Jarvis Walker

minnkota buy a quality brand

I don't think the watersnakes have a composite shaft like the Minnkota either?

I'm amazed at just how tough the shafts are on the minnkota. I accidentally hit a submerged snag at near flat out on my MK RT55ap - I was sure something had to give as I watched the shaft bend a full 90 degrees before the boat was pushed backwards as the shaft straightened up again. There wasn't even a scratch!

I noticed a pic Big Unit posted on Fitzys site today of a watersnake that had a snapped shaft so I'm almost certain I'm correct in assuming they're not as much suited to the breaker brothers! nah nah nah nana

And I agree re the autopilot - I couldn't be without it!

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    Watersnakes only have a fraction of the market but I seem to be repairing them more than MK or MG.
    So where do you work?
    What are the faults?
    What are the commonplace faults?
    Are these faults a manufacturing error?
    Is Jarvis Marine coming to the party in the shape of warranty repairs?
    If you are repairing so many of them, what would YOU do to fix the problems??

This is EXACTLY what everybody has been questioning, and yet we come up with the same analysis, that they (WS) havent been in the market place long enough to form a concensus.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I don't think the watersnakes have a composite shaft like the Minnkota either?

I'm amazed at just how tough the shafts are on the minnkota. I accidentally hit a submerged snag at near flat out on my MK RT55ap - I was sure something had to give as I watched the shaft bend a full 90 degrees before the boat was pushed backwards as the shaft straightened up again. There wasn't even a scratch!

I noticed a pic Big Unit posted on Fitzys site today of a watersnake that had a snapped shaft so I'm almost certain I'm correct in assuming they're not as much suited to the breaker brothers! nah nah nah nana

And I agree re the autopilot - I couldn't be without it!

Cant fault the Kotas shaft ...... just like Tony , i've hit a couple of old oyster racks at 5-6 km/h .... with no ill effect ( except for the heart in mouth)
    Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo2 View Post
    So where do you work?
    What are the faults?
    What are the commonplace faults?
    Are these faults a manufacturing error?
    Is Jarvis Marine coming to the party in the shape of warranty repairs?
    If you are repairing so many of them, what would YOU do to fix the problems??

This is EXACTLY what everybody has been questioning, and yet we come up with the same analysis, that they (WS) havent been in the market place long enough to form a concensus.
    ....PM sent

Hi
    I had a 40PD freshwater on a 3.85 explorer and it was a perfect size. It is cheaper than the salt water model and I used it in the salt dozens of times with no corrosion problems.

the the prob with the snakes is the back bearing BLA has come across some that are out of warranty and NOT repareable due to bearing flog out.
    18 months old.
    my last 55lb ap bow mount was 3 years old 0 problems.
    sold it with the last boat.
    new boats has 55lb ap bow mount use it on 2 boats one for fresh water electric only fishing. and salt water on a 5.5m CC that weighs a 1000kg's it pulls it fine.
    on the 24volt 12volt argument the 24 volt uses less power to do the same job cos it dosn't have to work as hard.
    the 24volt are 80lb at full noise.
    but if you have 2 motors side by side at the same speed the 24volt will do it easy. and will pull bigger weight.
    if you can afford a MK buy one your paying for 2 years warranty and easy fixing in brisbane .
    WSnakes 1 year warranty no garranty on repair time or parts availability.
    you buy cheap you get cheap.
    Cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

My thanks to M62 for the PM's.

The debate will continue, is the dollar differance worth it?
    To me it is. The WS has been great so far, but only used occaisionally.
    I suppose its like asking a chippy if he would buy a GMC battery drill....
    You or I might, and it will work for ever...! ?

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    ....PM sent

could you send me the info as well

I reckn its worth the xtra $ to get the auto pilot minn kota but value for money the watersnake is a good item dont worry minn kota s have there fare share of problems
    purcho

Good day,
    Minn kota or bust. Bust is the key point here.
    Have had a minn kota for over ten years and its still going strong.Lets see how many jws are running after a decade of abuse.
    Cheers
    Reidy

Obviously plenty of opinion here. For & against. I've just bought a 44lb for my 3.99 Seajay and she's a beaut. Having used & MK previously it takes some time to adjust to the lack of Autopilot but for an Xtra $800 easily not missed. Old man has had his MK serviced 3 time over last 10yrs and each time in excess of $500 repair bill (3 x brand new WS). P:S. WS foot control is far better than the MK. Better suited to humid climate aposed to the MK from my understanding.

GO WS.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyrock View Post
    Obviously plenty of opinion here. For & against. I've just bought a 44lb for my 3.99 Seajay and she's a beaut. Having used & MK previously it takes some time to adjust to the lack of Autopilot but for an Xtra $800 easily not missed. Old man has had his MK serviced 3 time over last 10yrs and each time in excess of $500 repair bill (3 x brand new WS). P:S. WS foot control is far better than the MK. Better suited to humid climate aposed to the MK from my understanding.

GO WS.
    Yep I'm another who has owned both,a Riptide and a 'snake,BLA can shove there minnkota's where the sun don't shine.If you can't live with the lowley old 'snake then for god's sake do your self a favour and get a Motor Guide.
    Last edited by banshee; 16-01-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Hmmm - thanks for everyone's opinion...I think

No really. Its been great to hear the feedback - good & bad for both.

BUT..I still havent decided. A friend kindly loaned me a MK 50lb tiller steer to try out and you know what....I caught more fish trolling with my 40HP (& dragging a bucket)!!!! Go figure???

I think it helped clarify that the 55lb would be better, the wind played a bit of havoc with us. Plus I dont think I'll spend the extra on Auto Pilot, because I dont tend to go in a straight line..I usually hug the shoreline of the dam which is all over the place in & out of little coves. I know it shouldnt come down to dollars - but I have to draw the line somewhere. Still havent decided on MK or Snake, but either way, it will be next summer now until I lash out.

Thanks again for the input - it saved me a lot of homework!!
    CIndy

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    Hmmm - thanks for everyone's opinion...I think

No really. Its been great to hear the feedback - good & bad for both.

BUT..I still havent decided. A friend kindly loaned me a MK 50lb tiller steer to try out and you know what....I caught more fish trolling with my 40HP (& dragging a bucket)!!!! Go figure???

I think it helped clarify that the 55lb would be better, the wind played a bit of havoc with us. Plus I dont think I'll spend the extra on Auto Pilot, because I dont tend to go in a straight line..I usually hug the shoreline of the dam which is all over the place in & out of little coves. I know it shouldnt come down to dollars - but I have to draw the line somewhere. Still havent decided on MK or Snake, but either way, it will be next summer now until I lash out.

Thanks again for the input - it saved me a lot of homework!!
    CIndy
    CIndy .... just remember the Autopilot is also used to hold position in wind or current ...... So when working a bank .... you can hold your position at your leisure
    Nagg