Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Starting off

Starting off

Greetings all!

I have a Syder glass MT 8144 blank, grips, reel mount and guides. I have not built a rod before. Is there a thread that will show me how to start (or a video online)? I can't afford to buy books or DVDs on rod building at the moment.

Any help for a beginner would be most welcome.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina

Re: Starting off

Forgot to say I also have the info on the guide spacings and have had the grips cut to size.

Rob.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/buildjig.html

http://visualweave.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=22

This is a link to a big rod building site. There is information on just about everything. The latter is an Australian site.

Come to think of it, I don't see why we couldn't put together a basic 'how to' guide here.

Please post up questions here, there are lots of good rod builders that would be more than happy to help you out.

roz.
    Last edited by roz; 06-01-2008 at 12:35 PM.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Mate if you want to visit me at Evans when I go down I can show the very basics.
    I can only show the basics because that's all I know.
    I'll be there in a week for a little while.
    What's the specs on that blank?? I've never heard of that one.
    Last edited by finga; 06-01-2008 at 03:56 PM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

It would be great to meet up!

I'm a teacher so I'm on holiday at the moment. The basics are what I need at the moment. What do do and in what order. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just fuji rings with black bindings on a black blank.

The blank is a glass, 8 wrap, multi-taper with a fair bit of grunt that I intend to use as a jewie rod.

Shall I pm you with my number?

Regards, Rob.

If you have the bandwidth, there are some good videos on youtube, just search 'rod building' and ignore all the hotrods

hi pommy im located in yamba if ya eva down this way i would gladley help ya out and show ya the basics let me know maybe even wet a line the barries and tuna arnt to far away now

Sounds good mate.

I get down to Yamba one or twice a holiday. Will give you a pm before I next go down. Would love to wet a line and chat.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina

Well it's been a few day mate....so how's the binding going Rob??

Hi!

Hope you're having a great time at Evans!

Have had to pay for the morning we spent on the rod and a few too many wet weather days carving jewie lures, but....I have free morning tomorow and intend to make a good start.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks, Rob.

Having watched the videos and intending to put on the underbinds tommorow, do I need to use colour preserver on the black thread?

Rob.

No CP on black thread is required. If you have acrylic CP (the white stuff) it may make your top coat appear cloudy if you use it on black thread. Best to avoid CP on black (and even other really dark colours if you can).

Ehhh?!!............

Hey Finga.

Do I put the silver twirl on the underbind or overbind?

Rob.

under matey