Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Starting off

Re: Starting off

Hi Roz
    Sorry I missed your post. No mixing up a batch of finish that is not 50/50 it will most likely not set properly. It doesn't matter if you use 60% hardner. They make finish to be mixed 50/50 and thats how it should be done. Some finishes are better then others and you can get the mix a little off and it will still set up. But that is why I always mix at least 2 or 3 ml each of resin and hardner (so I have more room for error) and when I finish mixing it I mix it some more just to be sure. I would rather throw away a ml or two of finish then have to rewrap a rod.

Thanks for that Ozrods!

Will check the rod when I get to school tomorrow.

Not quite certain what I did wrong. I used 4 mL of each, measured in small test tubes. If anything there would have been slightly more hardener than epoxy as the epoxy was more viscous. Stirred just like Doc Ski on the DVD. Applied thinnish coats.

The epoxy had become quite treacly by the time I finished and i was worried that I was not going to be able to complete the top grip bind.

I was a bit disgruntled as I had used so much that I probably had 3 or 4 ML left that I then used as filler on some jewie lures.

As a Senior Chemistry teacher I'm not too bad on the prac. skills and am very careful with measurement.

However, it's been a bit of an adventure building the rod so far and I'm looking forward to completing it. the blank feels really good!

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina.

Dont worry about it I have done the same thing a lot of times and I sware I have done everything right. Sometimes I think that if you hold your tongue the wrong way or the planets aren't in proper alignment it just happens. If you know what I mean?
    Last edited by OzRods; 12-02-2008 at 01:38 AM.

It’s also important to remember when mixing small amounts that you shouldn’t let the coating part A or part B run down the side of what ever your mixing in. If you have either part A or B on the side of the mixing cup when you poor it in then that’s a % not in the mix where it should be. Always aim for the middle of what ever your mixing in.

Stu
    Precision Rods

Wet, wet, wet! (Not the pop group).

Will apply next coat of epoxy over still sticky first coat when the next batch of hot sunny weather arrives. July?

Regards to all contributors and observers and fellow sufferers.

Rob.

Hey Finga! G'day mate!

Tried to pm you but your mailbox is full.

Thanks for your patience with lending me the rod lathe.

The weather forecast looks a little better and I'm hoping to put another epoxy coat over the first next week.

The first coat set on the 40 and 30 binds but not on the others.

Will let you know how things progress.

Thanks again, Rob.

Greetings all!

There is a weather window of opportunity. It's hot and not too humid.

Second layer of epoxy has just gone over the first that has still not set after 1 month.

Fingers crossed, She's rolling!

Regards, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by pommy View Post
    Greetings all!

There is a weather window of opportunity. It's hot and not too humid.

Second layer of epoxy has just gone over the first that has still not set after 1 month.

Fingers crossed, She's rolling!

Regards, Rob.
    I'm betting you won't have any probs this time around Rob. Fingers crossed.

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Ohhhhhhh.......!!!!!!!!

Yesssssssss!!!!!!!!

Yesssssssss!!!!!!!

Yesssssssss!!!!!!!

But.......... for quality control, I think it needs another thin coat!!!!!!!

Tomorrow.

Rob.

Hi Pommy
    Did the thin coat over the tacky stuff fix it?

G'day mate!

Yes it did! Applying another thin coat today to cover one or two tiny areas next to a few of the guide legs that did not get covered properly.

Otherwise OK. Cross fingers for this last coat!

Regards, Rob.

Greetings all!

And to finish (hopefully) two questions.

First - what benefit is there to varnishing between the epoxied guides? Will one thin coat do? Is there any specific technique or tip that makes it easier or improves results?

Second - I have a 2cm length of rod blank protruding below the bottom grip. The but cap I bought was deeper than this. When I tried to cut it down I got a rough edge. Any tips for cutting a straight edge when shortening a but cap.

Don't want to mes things up at the last stage.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina.