Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Starting off

Re: Starting off

Thanks!

Will take the bugger to school tomorrow!

Rob.

G'day all!

The rod had 8 hours in direct, strong sunlight today. There was a light breeze.

Epoxy still very sticky on most bindings.

Will repeat tomorrow.

Regards, in patience, Rob.

Rob, don't panic. Let the epoxy harden up. If it takes a few days who cares. When it is hard, lightly scuff the surface with a green scourign pad. Wipe over the area with metho. Don't go to mad with the metho and start rubbing hard because you will cause much bigger problems. Just enough to make sure the area is clean. Then apply your second coat. It is heat which causes the epoxy to go off. Firstly the chemical reaction and then heat from an external souce eg lighting, heating etc. Keep your fingers away from the epoxy on the rod. If you feel like touch testing, touch the remaining epoxy in your mixing container.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Gidday Mark
    Gees you must be a top bloke with a name like that.
    Cheers Scott Fisher
    PS Your not my cousin Mark by any chance??
    G'day Scott,
    Mate I'll have to ask Dad if he had any illegitimate affairs up your way. We could be long lost brothers.
    Your right with your first comment, we must be good blokes though. LOL.
    Have a good one.

Mark
    Outback Rods

Greetings all!

The rod is out in the sun again. Patience is a virtue that I'm learning.

The guy in the local bait shop told me to pour cold water over the epoxy. Not sure if this sis to make it set quicker or to stop the process so the guides can be cut off. I'm NOT going to do this but am curious as to what effect cold water would have on the epoxy.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina.

Hi Rob.
    Personally I'd give that cold water procedure a miss.
    Is the resin any drier this pm?
    Cheers.

Rob,

If it makes you feel any better, I'm having the same problem although to a lesser degree, patches on some of the guide bindings are tacky.

I became a little impatient and appplied a coat of 'light build' flex, that helped set some, but not all of the problem areas, there are still a few remaining bits.

My question to other rod builders here - Is is possible or advisable, to mix up epoxy at aprox 40/60. The 60 being hardner, to compensate for this problem????

thankx r.
    Last edited by roz; 08-02-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

G'day all!

The rod has now spent 2 days in the sun and seems, on very careful touch testing of one or two out of the way areas, to be setting in patches.

I've left it supported horizontally in the Science department prep room over the weekend, rather than cart it round, and will resume its sunbathing on monday.

Hey ho.....

Regards, Rob.

PS What would rain or cold water do to unset epoxy?

Basically Rob, IMHO make a flippin' mess of it!
    Roz, I'm no rodmaking expert, very, very far from it, but I've been a surfboard rider for over 40 years. In that time I've fixed literally hundreds of 'dings' and worked in the board making industry for a short while, albeit back in the '70's.
    Sometimes we would make up a 'hot' mix with too much hardener, which would result in a steaming, sticky mess that would literally become very hot!
    Totally useless for any practical purpose, a mix with too much hardener tends to be brittle, if it sets correctly at all.
    From my own experience, I would not recommend changing the ratio. Even if the mix does go off, the properties of the end result would not be the same as a mix made to the correct ratio.
    Having said this, I've found Erskines to be quite user-friendly, my own visual guestimates of the equal quantities of both parts have been sufficiently accurate never to create problems, and as such I don't use syringes, one less pain in the @ss when using epoxy.
    Damn this rain and humidity!
    Cheers.

Hi Roz, I'm with Nigel on this one. Tried a "hot mix" a few years back and it was a disaster. You also don't get the flow characteristics you need for a good job. The mix sets up to quick and is brittle not flexible. You also end up with a lot more cracks around the guide feet.

Regards
    Mark

Sounds logical... I must mention I mixed up some flocoat/gelcoat (not sure which product it was) for a ding in my boat, I had lost the instructions with the ratio, so had a stab in the dark.... It literally smoked!!! lucky for me it went off too quickly to be used.

Fortunately common sense prevailed, (unusual for me) & I made a phone call to the right people.

Getting back to the original question. How long should I wait before adding more resin... even if there are still tacky bits after a week of good drying conditions.

Sorry for hijacking your thread pommy

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

That's OK mate!

It seems to have morphed into an epoxy Agony Aunt's page which has got to a good thing for a lot of rod builders.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by pommy View Post
    Greetings all!

I have a Syder glass MT 8144 blank, grips, reel mount and guides. I have not built a rod before. Is there a thread that will show me how to start (or a video online)? I can't afford to buy books or DVDs on rod building at the moment.

Any help for a beginner would be most welcome.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina

Mate
    Pay a visit to you council library and ask for a book called"rod Building" by Dale Clements.

Ken

Bit late now after 88 posts!

Rob.

Hi Pommy
    If it has been day's and the finish has not set it probably wont. Mix up another batch of finish and apply that over the first coat that is still tacky. This will usually set off the first coat. You must have done something wrong usually
    1: Did not mixed the finish well enough
    2: Got the 50-50 mix wrong
    3: Finish was not mixed will enough in the bottles before you mixed them together (some finishes seperate after sitting for a while usually the hardner)
    I have had this happen a number of times (mostly when I first started rodbuilding) and the second coat usually always fixes the problem. I always mix at least 2 or 3 ml of each hardner and resin. Dont try any of the cold water or anything like that. Once you contaminate the wraps you will have to rewrap your guides. Trust me on this I have had it happen to many times it will work and save you a lot of work and when it dries you will never know that it happened. Most of the time it has happened to me is when I am in a hurry or I try to mix to little of the finish. Mixing a larger amount of finish gives you more room for error. Let me know how it goes
    Last edited by OzRods; 10-02-2008 at 04:48 PM.