Re: Starting off

Underbinding done.

Rob

woohoo...now the guides
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

G'day Scott.

Starting to grind down the feet of the rings. Not quite sure, from Doc Ski's video, how much to take off. He seemed to grind them down thin and level.

Do I do the same or....

just grind off the step towards the end of each leg so there is a smooth slope

OR

do the above and taper off each side?

The smaller legs don't seem to be a problem but the larger ones may require a specific approach.

Regards, Rob.

PS Can smell the river and the dead fish from my house! Shocking!

smooth slope from the ends and sides.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

one thing you can do is once the guide feet have been ground down, grab hold of the wifes clear nail polish & wipe a thin coat (very thin, only just there) over the ground area, it just gives a little extra protection to the feet if water does get in..

Hmmm!....

Have completed the first overbind on the end two runners. They look OK but not quite up to the standard of the underbind. Slight imperfections in the underbind are magnified in the overbind?

Also, Í cant seem to get rid of the very small fluffy tags no matter how hard I burnish or try to copy Doc Ski.

Any suggestions?

In the meantime I will push on with more first overbinds.

Regards, in some frustration, Rob.

is that the tag left after you trim off the thread at the end of the bind or is the thread fluffy in places here & there over the whole bind???

How do you burnish your binds??

With the tags, pull your loop up tight to the wrap, pull the tag end up and snip it off close to the loop. Then pull the loop through - you'll find the tag will come through 5-6 wraps and leave no fluffy bit (providing you wrapped more than 5-6 wraps over the loop!

I can do a video if you like??

Great!

Understood that BenatCoffs. Will follow your advice

I'm using the slightly curved/not too angular edge of a steel crab picker. A bit like the sacking needle that Finga showed me.

Regards and thanks, Rob.
    Ballina.

I did a video anyway for the benefit of readers that have trouble translating words to actions.

Hope this helps with someone in their exploits!

thanks for that mate , you know i did that the other day by mistake, turned out to be the best thing i have done in a while, cheers ian

pommy post up some pics when you can as we all like to check out each others work, cheers ian

Hi Ian.

Have put first overbind on 4 runners. Things seem to be easier on the larger runners. Will continue tommorow.

I suppose I could post some piccies, but simple black thread on a black blank with 3 little bits of silver twirl at each guide is not going to get the crowds roaring. I'm going for a simple, macho, looking rod rather than a threadfest.

It's a lovely blank that I'm going to use for fishing jewie lures and livies. At present I'm just trying to get some of the more simple techniques right.

Would be interested in having a look at what you are doing.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina

If you still manage to end up with the odd fluffy bit, provided it's not much, burn it off with a cigarette lighter.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    If you still manage to end up with the odd fluffy bit, provided it's not much, burn it off with a cigarette lighter.
    yep!! That will do it.