Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercury 15hp

Re: Mercury 15hp

I have a 2003 american 15 mariner and find it an awsome little motor, especially with the the throttle on the steer arm as i use it in a narrow creek up north with mega mangroves so it makes it super easy to do 180's etc whilst checking crab pots Very reliable too...

Ausfish Bronze Member

Love your humour about lamons catfishkid.I've looked at the two mercs & tohatsu 18hp all three have 3yr warranty & various fours & againsts.You have all given me lots to ponder & lots of knowledge,there is'nt much price difference between them.I think i will go for the usa 15hp merc.Can't wait to get it,i better hurry up & get the boat finished.Thankyou all again for your info.Cheers Dinky....

good choice mate you wont regret it.

ive just decided to upgrade from my usa 15hp merc to a usa 25hp merc due to fitting boat out with full floors. i was considering a tohatsu but the usa mercury's have been good to me over the last 7 years so why change i say.

good luck with it mate

Ausfish Bronze Member

Thanks laney,what size boat is that going on ?Go the usa mercs !!!!

its going on a 3.85 quintrex explorer eclipse with extruded top decks so should go well i hope

Ausfish Bronze Member

awesome you'll get some air jumping those waves happy boating Dinky....

haha wont be jumping waves in this one

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by snapperm8 View Post
    I just bought a tohastu 18 a top motor, although i have heard that the 15 merc is the same as the 18 tohatsu but why is one 15hp and the other 18hp and everyone says there exactly the same,my thoughts is that the 18 has a bigger jets differrent carby?

cheers dave
    hi dave the tohatsu 18hp and mercury 15hp super japan version are the same motor exactly just tohatsu is painted blue and to answer your question it is a simple part replacment which allows for the 15 hp to go to 18hp no jets or carbie change its a simple opening the throttle with a part on the throttle body so a 15hp super/jap tohatsu can be a 18hp with a $60.00 part and about an hour to change or you can pay 300-400 more for the 18hp tohatsu but at the end of the day both the 18hp tohatsu and 15super merc are made on same line hope that helps