Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flares onnew years eve at 12

flares onnew years eve at 12

Hi all thinking about letting one of my flares, that is old now` the neighbours have been letting off fire works (sweet as) how illegaAL and wrong is it. im keen just to see how` it works and how to realese it. cheers(im not one to cry wolf thats my only worry cheers and happy new year

Re: flares onnew years eve at 12

Did it cost much to bail you out?

No reply yet Bruce? What makes you think they set bail?

Poses an interesting question, what penalty would you have to pay if it were New Years Eve?

Scalem

maybe a kick up the arse from rescue crews that have to go out looking for dickheads who let them off

Mike

Bloody Stupid idea.

actually Flattie assassin,how many of us have used a flare.
    Why is it not possible to have a supervised day,where boaties could bring along their out of date flares,say at a VMR,and get some help with using them.
    Sure they seem simple,but I wonder if we could do it on the dark,or in a hurry.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    Why is it not possible to have a supervised day,where boaties could bring along their out of date flares,say at a VMR,and get some help with using them.
    David
    VMR at sandgate let off flares, usually on their open day. They will often let the kids have a go (heavily supervised) so they can learn how to use them correctly. All relevant authories are contacted beforehand.

Great,I will get onto VMR Victoria Point,and see if I can arrange same
    Thanks
    David

David
    VMR at sandgate let off flares, usually on their open day. They will often let the kids have a go (heavily supervised) so they can learn how to use them correctly. All relevant authories are contacted beforehand.

I'd have no problem letting off out of date flares....... as long as it is nowhere near the water and in a safe place.

No one is going to be looking for a boat in trouble in the middle of browns plains or inala or chaple hill.

In a boat on the water.... that is another matter all together.

cheers

David
    Well I'm sure you can go somewhere to learn. But I doubt as to whether they will allow you to use old or outdated Flares.

Haven't they got a use by date for a safety reason?

And that's certainly a lot different to letting off old flares on NYE. When people have more often than not been drinking.
    If that's your thing though knock yourself out. Just seems like a foolish thing to do to me.

FA
    Last edited by Flattie Assassin; 01-01-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flattie Assassin View Post
    Well I'm sure you can go somewhere to learn. But I doubt as to whether they will allow you to use old or outdated Flares.

Haven't they got a use by date for a safety reason?

And that's certainly a lot different to letting off old flares on NYE. When people have more often than not been drinking.
    If that's your thing though knock yourself out. Just seems like a foolish thing to do to me.

FA
    Yes they do use out of date flares, Bribie VMR use to do it too but dont think they do anymore, They use this as a usefull way to dispose of the flares. I beleive the dates on flare are more to avoid old flares not working when you really need them.
    TT

i took my out of date flares campin last night (nowhere near the water) and planned to give them a whirl but only 1 out of 4 worked... the last one ignited pretty spot on with the arrival of 08'. thought they were alot more reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by Flattie Assassin View Post
    Bloody Stupid idea.

Geek alert, Geek alert!

Who gives! If you were to do it in the middle of morteon bay, yeah, your a dikhead, but in someones backyard???? Who cares, yeah I'll try it! We used to go to raves and people would let them off indoors Was quite a sight!

Quote Originally Posted by reelemin1974 View Post
    G
    Who gives! If you were to do it in the middle of morteon bay, yeah, your a dikhead, but in someones backyard???? Who cares,

Does this quote from the relevant Qld Govt site answer your question?

"There are severe penalties for misuse of flares and any offender may also face the costs of labour undertaken, risk incurred, or loss sustained in consequence of the signals."

Reference: http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Flares/

What sort of penalty might be involved? Perhaps this might offer a guide ...

Reference: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/a.../dglab2003373/
    This latter bit of info is not from Queensland legislation but it is Australian legislation and we might reasonably suspect that the penalties in Queensland may be similar.

Please feel free to test the might of the law for all of us and report back....

.... maybe in 12 month's time?

Last edited by charleville; 01-01-2008 at 11:09 PM.