1 1.61%
  • Other ??

8 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barra leader systems

Re: Barra leader systems

Quote Originally Posted by MORFIN View Post
    Leathal Leaders , Best tied twisted leader I have ever used .
    Top work Gleyndon.

PETE MATE
    Pete ..... I've got some Leathal Leaders to try (never used them yet!) ..... But they must sound like a machine gun when you cast with them Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    BarraBoy - The single strand Braid approach with the Slim Beauty... do you do 5 turns foward and 4 turns back to the figure of 8 - how do you do it? I have read about 6 different ways of tying this bloody knot and I have my own way of doing it... 6 turns foward and then thread it straight back through the first descending wrap with a single strand of 30lb Bionic (love Bionic)... no turns back to the figure of 8, unlike everything else I have read. I have never really been able to tie it properly with the double and for a solid rainy, foul day I tried for about 4 hrs to tie it correctly! Thats when I thought bugger it I will stick with my Bimini to TD Leader Connection knot. The Slim Beauty is about the only knot that has really stuffed me up... can tie everything else with ease but it! Always stuck with the Tony Jones/Yucatan knot for quite some time, but the TD is so dam slim and looks pretty trick when you go to pull it together!

Cheers

Theo
    Theo,
    using 20lb whiplash(very thin) to 60lb Penn 10X I double the line but only top give more body to the knot. I take about 12 inches of line and double it over, then do a double overhand(granny) knot in it as far back as you can to give you a short 6inch double. I don't think you'd need to do a double in most 50lb braids, I've tried it single and doubled with 50lb Tuff Line XP and the single seemed more compact to me but the doubled version was still good.
    The Slim Beauty is fairly easy to tie, do your double overhand(granny or figure8) knot but only pulled up just shy of tight, important to have your mainline/double enter and leave the fig.8 on the same path and the leader and pull fig 8 knot partially tight. allow a finger width of double under the fig.8 pinch against leader and start winding the tag down. wind down 6(50lb) or 7(30lb) or 8(20lb) turns, then wrap back up the same number and pass the tag through the gap created at the top where you pinched the line. Pull the mainline tight to close up the loose section and start gently working the knot tight alternating between the tag and the mainline untill it pulls up snug under the fig8. fully tighten the fig8 knot and double check the braid is pulled up snug, then clip off excess tags. I usually finish off the knot with a drop of super glue, twist it around to cover all sides and (Lick you fingers first) rub it in between your fingers, it gets into all the little gaps and prevents any chance of a tag coming loose.the braid will have pulled up under the fig 8 and will resemble a cone shape.with the smallest end pointing at the rod tip, this knot will fly out the guides with very little resistance, the leader tag is pointing at the reel so it will not catch going out making those horrible clunks BUT it will feel a bit agricultural when you wind it back in .

never managed to bust one off so far........but have only tested it on logs

cheers Roo.

I just use the Jack Erskine twisted leader made with 60lb Penn 10X attached to 30lb braid with an Albright knot. Easy and economical to make, worked fine back in October at Monduran with 15 for the week from 980 to 1.22. On one leader had one side of the twisted section cut (presumably by the fish) but the other side held. Don't know how to tie any of the others and don't feel I need to.

Yeah I'm with Barraboy, no double at all, single strand 30lb braid to 50lb leader tied with a Slim Beauty knot. But......... from 4lb through to 30lb mainline braid, I use 14 turns up and 10 turns back. NEVER had a problem with this setup if tied correctly. It's the only knot I use now for leader connection.

Jeff.

Hi All ....... I've just spent the last week learning how to cast ( double handed baitcaster) in preparation for our Monduran/Awoonga trip ........ It sounds funny but I really found the shortcomings of single handed ( incl tackle) during our trip last Oct
    Anyhow .... what I did want to say is

While learning ( down at the local estuary ... off a jetty) .... I experimented with different leader systems ( standard uni/80lb mono , wind on/80lb & lethal leader/50lb) ....... & I came to some interesting personal conclusions!

1) lethal leaders performed the worst for both casting distance & accuracy ( diminished lure action)

2) Standard uni/80lb was the most accurate

3) Wind on/80lb allowed the furthest casts (+10-20%) & very accurate

All systems were used over 3 different outfits ( same lures- 110 slick rigs , 120mm wooden popper with hooks removed & a Stiffy boney bream) & all used at each casting session!

After a week ..... Personally I reckon that the wind on felt the best to use ( no clunk & no pick up of weed on the knot)...... It will be my choice

Anyhow ..... It was an interesting experience & I thought it was worth sharing

Nagg

PS ..... When practising casting into an estuary ...... DONT REMOVE THE HOOKS! ...... I had a decent Kingie crash the popper this afternoon ( no hooks) ........ Threw the boney & while it followed once ....it never went for it

Nagg
    Last edited by NAGG; 08-03-2008 at 07:08 AM.

I'm still trying to get these wind on's around my head. How big do you make the loop in the dacron also how long a bit of dacron do you use I see mention of 6" and then others mention 60cm. Also where do you find the 50lb dacron if that's the size you need.