Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Setting tarps up correctly.

Re: Setting tarps up correctly.

Ok guys ive worked in the party hire industry for 36 years and when we do marquees we only put the pegs out about 1m from where the base of the pole will be.
    Reason, you want downward pressure on the pole, if you go out to far, so the rope is following the angle of the tarp/tent roof , and the wind gets up the tarp and pole can lift.
    with our marquees and tarps we use old car axels for pegs but having said that ive seen them riped out of the ground like the ol hot knife thru butter story.
    and of cause the angle of the peg in the ground is important...never knock the peg straight into the ground, always on an angle away from the pole.

Standind the tarp up we do the four corners first then work from the center out.
    The spreader bars are the easist way to get a nice neat, non pooling finish.

have fun....

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    Ok guys ive worked in the party hire industry for 36 years and when we do marquees...

... Standind the tarp up we do the four corners first then work from the center out.
    The spreader bars are the easist way to get a nice neat, non pooling finish.

have fun....
    Hey Wayno60, how much slack do you leave when setting up corners to allow for spreader bar height - assuming the spreader bar will be 500 - 600 mm higher than the corners?

I suppose this is where Pythagorean theorum is put to work. (I should have paid more attention to geometry at school )

Now, how does it go? The square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the opposing two sides........

Ohhhh, I get it.... Just make a bit of a guess

Or is there a "rule of thumb" method for doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post

I suppose this is where Pythagorean theorum is put to work. (I should have paid more attention to geometry at school )

Definately should have paid mor attention in geometry and MATHS seeing as pythagoras is trigonemetry

Quote Originally Posted by danryan75 View Post
    Definately should have paid mor attention in geometry and MATHS seeing as pythagoras is trigonemetry

Hmmmm, thanks for your astute observations..........

However, I was doing a little research and found a web page titled
    "Maths for Morons like Us"

It has a page called Geometry - Special triangles.

http://library.thinkquest.org/20991/geo/stri.html

The first heading on the page is Pythagorean theorum.

If you're going to go pointing fingers.... check your spelling first.
    Maybe YOU should have paid more attention in English.

mate not pointing fingers but just having a bit of a joke.had a look myself pythagorus can be classed at trig or geometry as trig can be classed as the studies of triangles.

once again not trying to have a go just a bit of banter

Cheers

Well we have spreader bars with screw eyes at either end that are the exact length of the tarp and line up with the eyelets, so its just the lenght of the poles that give us the pitch in the roof.
    Also if your not using those sliding rope blocks or the spring shaped ones pre tie off the ropes before you start standing up your poles.
    To get you close to where to tie off hook the end of the rope with the loop on it over the top/pointy end of your pole and measure it down to the other end of the pole. at that point tie it off to your peg. it will be close enough to hold the tarp up till everything is in place then you can tighten all the ropes as you go.