Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting tarps up correctly.

Re: Setting tarps up correctly.

Phill is on the money.I normally go about 5 feet out from the tarp edge.
    Sometimes there are a few minor adjustments to be made.

Cheers Dazza

Ok well here's another interesting one to ponder.

My tent is 3.6m long x 2.4 wide. I want a tarp that will cover the tent, but give me enough room out the front for a basic bbq area. What size would you recomend? I'm currently looking at a 9 x 18ft

The other thing is i will be setting it up alone.

12ft x 18

IMO

phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

When i thought about it, 9ft would give no coverage over the sides of the tent at all.

I've got a 12x20 but i just bought a 10x12 purely for covering the tent in a bit of rain. Camping down the tweed i'm in a caravan park so i'll be using their facilities anyway.

Tarp has 16 D rings, i've got 14 poles and 2 ridge bars... it should be right.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DKnB View Post
    Phill is on the money.I normally go about 5 feet out from the tarp edge.
    Sometimes there are a few minor adjustments to be made.

Cheers Dazza
    Adjustments?? What adjustments? If I can't run a string line on the ground so all the pegs are in a straight row, I won't be happy But I guess you mean you can't be exact when the pole heights will vary a little to allow some pitch in the roof, making sure rain water runs off to the right areas least likely to cause flooding. ( Into the neighbours tent)

Scalem
    Last edited by Scalem; 01-01-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Adjustments?? What adjustments? If I can't run a string line on the ground so all the pegs are in a straight row, I won't be happy But I guess you mean you can't be exact when the pole heights will vary a little to allow some pitch in the roof, making sure rain water runs off to the right areas least likely to cause flooding. ( Into the neighbours tent)

Scalem
    Exactly.
    Can't have that water running back into your own camp.

Cheers Dazza

Mod11

should even set the dirty dishes on a table where the water runs off to have a " natures own ' dishwasher.......

chilli

goin up to Teewah Beach in Feb so will take pics of set up but all that has been said is correct cant really add more only that it depends on the site sometimes you have to improvise.have camped at teewah on a sloping dune (only spot available)and managed to tie it all down properly
    One tip i can tell you next time your camping visit your neighbours with a beer or 2 and check out what they have done you may get some ideas and make new friends as well , good luck

Good Post. Now I had trouble setting up a tarp (over Christmas, as always) that looks good let alone keep the rain off. After you lay your tarp down, there seems to be two opinions here ... one to start from the middle another to start from the corners. Can we have a poll? Opinions will be fine really. My missus and I have stopped fighting putting up the tent and tarp after I realised she's always right. Cheers.
    Last edited by castlemaine; 24-01-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Good strategy, - do it how the missus says.
    Even if a cicada pisses on the tarp and the whole shebang comes down
    around your ears, you will still have done the right thing.

A bit of shadecloth and some zippy ties increase the comfort levels regarding
    sun and insects too... Keep a couple of mozzie coils going at night and you
    will be insect free.

This is our setup

OUTSIDE

INSIDE

Last edited by baitwaster; 23-01-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MY-TopEnder View Post
    Ok well here's another interesting one to ponder.

My tent is 3.6m long x 2.4 wide. I want a tarp that will cover the tent, but give me enough room out the front for a basic bbq area. What size would you recomend? I'm currently looking at a 9 x 18ft

The other thing is i will be setting it up alone.
    I was going to say it cant be too big, but I guess it could.

My tarp is 24 by 30 ft, my tent would be the same size as yours (4 person domey with extension).
    I usually set the ridge pole about a third the way down the long side and make a carport for Hilux under the short end, keeps the car cool, you can drop the tray side and us the tray for a work table or extra bed. Also lets you use the car radio and the battery for lighting (12 v flouros). Makes a good windbreak although I usually put at least one wall on the tarp, usually two. I can set it up alone unless it is really windy.

This is our camp. I use two spreaders to enable the tarp to be dropped at the back where the prevailing wind is coming from. The slope downwards pushes the wind up and over the top of the tarp. A straight (drop) wall used as shelter, merely catches the wind in those summer storms. As has been said, it pays to utilise every pole hole with the poles set at varying heights to enable water run off. The back sloping wall also utilises springs the same as the pole ropes.

Spotlight sell mozzie netting dirt cheap and we also have a net that goes all the way round the tarp.

kev

Last edited by kingtin; 04-02-2008 at 05:58 PM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

I've been doing a bit of research on setting up tarps etc. which I have never done before. - There's my disclaimer - I'm no expert.

I saw a few references to single-handed setup of ridge poles/spreaders.

The main problem has been that both ends need to go up at the same time, so as not to bend/strain the spike on the pole that supports the ridge pole/spreader when the other end is still on the ground. Single-handed this has been impossible.

Until now............................

I saw a nifty design for a hinged support pole and ridge/spreader unit on a UK tent page.

http://midtown.net/dragonwing/col0711.htm

Instead of the spike being on the support pole, it is located on top of the spreader/ridge pole.

The ridge pole/spreader is round and joined in the middle so that it can rotate during setup.

That way, one end can be laying on the ground on its side whilst you stand the other end of your support pole for the ridge pole/spreader up and attach a couple of ropes.

You then walk down the other end and repeat the performance.

I'm sure this design can be adapted for use with a tarp.

hi

here is a pic of the tarp we have at fraser each year

you may get the idea from this

has been through some tuff times with the wind and storms ...
    "whats the time"

Great tips here everyone.

One thing I'd like to add - when setting up your tarp in sand, try putting something under each pole to stop them from sinking into the sand and causing your ropes to become loose. Beer cans crushed flat work but if you've got a big tarp that's a lot of beers to drink when setting up your tarp. On some trips I don't remember finishing the job. Now I've collected plastic lids off peanut butter jars. People also use offcuts of ply, anything will work.

Regards
    Brad
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat